I bought a tank

TacoBubba

Well to me it feels like a tank. Finally, I entered the world of the 1911. Today was a day of a few firsts for me. A new caliber .45. Got to try out my alien gear holster for my G26 and my extended mag as well.

20150202_151959_zpso7znfptd.jpg

I purchased a Rock island 1911-A1 here are a few pics.

20150202_151831_zpsxxw8kubf.jpg

20150202_151755_zps5cgx8g9m.jpg

Another first for me, shooting a gun straight out of the box. I only sent 50 down range.

20150202_151735_zpsxyzhaujt.jpg

My initial impressions for me are great. I really like the way this feels. My first non polymer pistol. I can live with the grips for now. My main fault ( which could be me) is that I did have a hard time picking up the front sight. Not a deal breaker. I am looking forward to breaking this gun in.

20150202_151354_zpsitcekfpw.jpg

One last picture. My baby glock. Shoots like a dream, just like its daddy the 17. The extended mag really makes a difference. Also in the pic is the alien gear leather owb. I have a iwb as well, but I felt like going owb today. I have this same set up for my 17.

Now, all I need is a holster and some mags for the 1911. Maybe some grips on down the line. However, the front sight is my top priority.

• Like 3
Good first 1911 Clone. Yes a bit of paint does help on the sights but eventually you'll end up with a better set of sights. As to the G-26, it'll do good by you and is much nicer to shoot then the G-27. It's also much more controllable during longer strings of fire.

Yeah, it has the GI sights. Thinking maybe some hi viz paint?

Is the front sight staked in (GI) or dovetailed?

If its dovetailed the options for different front sights are just about endless.  If its GI you'll need a staking tool to change it out (or a good gunsmith).

Also, a wider notch in the rear sight will help you pickup the front sight faster.

Congrats on the Rock. Good pistols.

But are you sure that's the GI model? It seems to have the upgrades associated with the tactical models, i.e. the skeletonized trigger and hammer, bo-mar styled rear sights, and not positive from the picture, but an extended beavertail. Can't make out the front sight though.

Not an issue at all, that's a good find.

Very nice! I haven't ventured over to the 1911 world yet. Maybe one day, but I hear they multiply like EBR's :lol:

Yes, they do seem to appear with great regularity.

For someone new to the 1911 all black fixed sights or even white dot fixed sights would probably come across as being GI type sights. Those of us familiar with older 1911 or even GI surplus ones with their staked front sights would immediately know the difference. It amazes me how much time has so quickly gone by since Novak and Wilson type sights became the near norm on stock 1911's.  

• Like 1

Congrats! I need to venture into the realm of the 1911 someday soon. Yours looks nice.

How do you like the the Alien Gear holster?

I really like the holster. I ordered my owb with the horse leather. My iwb is the neoprene style. The shells are interchangeable, which makes swapping them easy.
  • Like 1

Congrats on the Rock. Good pistols.

But are you sure that's the GI model? It seems to have the upgrades associated with the tactical models, i.e. the skeletonized trigger and hammer, bo-mar styled rear sights, and not positive from the picture, but an extended beavertail. Can't make out the front sight though.

Not an issue at all, that's a good find.

Yes, they do seem to appear with great regularity.

I made a mistake. I didn't realize that it was the tactical model. I was planning on just a intro level 1911. Now that I see what I have makes things even sweeter.

I do plan on these multiplying. For base tactical model, it sure does shoot sweet!

Boy, the 1911 makes the Glock look extra cheap.

They do make them look way different. The first pistol that I bought was my G17. Not going to win any beauty contests, but it sure does go bang. I have always thought a 1911 was like art. However, this art goes bang too!

Is the front sight staked in (GI) or dovetailed?

If its dovetailed the options for different front sights are just about endless. If its GI you'll need a staking tool to change it out (or a good gunsmith).

Also, a wider notch in the rear sight will help you pickup the front sight faster.

I believe that it is dovetailed

For being clones, they're pretty awesome. They don't say Novak on them but they're pretty kickass sights. The Rock Island 1911 Tactical is one of the best 1911's under $600, especially since they can be had in the $400 range pending on where you look.

I bought mine out the door including background check for $460. It doesn't feel cheap at all.