Winchester 9422 Misfiring

Guest JeepMonkey

Guest JeepMonkey

I've got a Winchester 9422 .22WMR that used to be my Dad's. He bought it new back when he was about 16. Now it intermittently misfires; there's no set number of times between each misfire nor is there any set number of misfires that occur in a given amount of rounds. The last three times I have shot it were 50 rounds on three separate days; the first 50 it misfired 9, the second 50 it misfired 16, and the third 50 it misfired 12. With each misfire I was able to recock the hammer and fire the rifle without a misfire. I cannot find anything with the lever mechanism or breech bolt that could be causing this. Any ideas? I'm handing this down to my kid brother to teach him to shoot, but I want to fix it first.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JeepMonkey
Next time it happens, eject the round and see if it has a firing pin strike. It might be the ammo.
I used different ammo each day (CCI, Remington, and Winchester) and with the misfires I checked they had a strike on it. Whether I reloaded it or just recocked the hammer, each misfired round fired on the second strike.
Guest JeepMonkey

No problem and thanks for the assistance. The manual says don't attempt to take the breach bolt apart, but the firing pin is fully exposed on the top of it, so I'm sure it just pops out.

• 6 years later...
I wondered whether you have solved this problem as I have the exact same symptoms with a 9422 .22LR. When cocking the gun with the lever, gun misfires. When manually cocking the hammer the gun always fires.

Firing pin is ok and hammer spring ok. The bolt is two piece held together by a pin. Upon removal I have cleaned everything and nothing appears worn. There appears to be a little play in the lever arm that moves the bolt back and forth ? Is this part of the design ?

My main attention is the rear part of the bolt. When cocking with the lever, this does not appear to move fully forward as per the front half of the bolt assembly sticking out by about 1mm. Upon manually cocking the gun after the misfire, this appears to jump forward making connection with front half and always firing !

Any expert advice, much appreciated ????