East TN April shoot

18 April My place just outside Kingsport - PM if you need directions. Up to 100 yards, emphasis for this shoot will be on service rifle (Garand, AR's, M1 carbine), other mil-surps acceptable, but not required! Suggested that you bring a shooting mat (something to lay on for prone firing), and a dozen or more cans of tomato juice or equivalent as targets. Contest, both centerfire and rimfire rifle; Iron sights, timed, reactive targets (zombies masquerading as cans of tomato juice). Winner receives choice of lace-on GI type leather cheekpad, leather GI sling, or large bag of empty tomato juice cans, redeemable for valuable prizes at your local recycler. Special competition, 7 to 12 year olds, rimfire rifle (bring or borrow one from me - the rifle, not the kid). Extra cool prize for winner and runner up. Campers welcome before, during and after the shoot. Cookout on-site, I'll supply coleman stoves. Emphasis on fellowship, fun and safety.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weather permitting I will be there to camp Friday night and probably Saturday too!!

Heck you might not be able to get rid of me once I get there, LOL

About time we had us a shoot! I think I can get hits on a juice can with the SKS and M1

I can bring a tarp that will allow several shooters to fire prone at the same time.

To quote Flounder, "this is going to be great!"

Guest Boomhower

Great to hear Mark! We were just talking about this the other day.

About time we had us a shoot! I think I can get hits on a juice can with the SKS and M1

From what I saw that SKS do in your hands, I may not even show up for the competition. :cool:

I may see if I can get my dads old British 303.

Unfortunately, Tannerite is probably a bad idea, considering the nature of the range.

I hope to make a trip to CMP's South Store prior to the shoot. I should have a Garand (and ammo, at cost) available to loan. I also have an M1 Carbine available, but you'll have to bring your own ammo - CMP is out.

If anyone has a stuffed chipmunk they're willing to donate as a target, Mike might feel more at home...

Well, "Way out there" is where I live. When I'm not even wayer out there, so to speak.

Yeah, I should be home a couple weeks prior.

Bring your shotgun, Linoge, and you and I will have a little shootout. I want to see if my 112 year old tech can keep up.

Well, "Way out there" is where I live. When I'm not even wayer out there, so to speak.

Yeah, I should be home a couple weeks prior.

Bring your shotgun, Linoge, and you and I will have a little shootout. I want to see if my 112 year old tech can keep up.

I'll bring shovels. :D

Found this at CMP forum, posted in reply to a question in the Long Guns forum, liked it so much I'm reposting it here. Fitting theme for the April shoot....

It satisfies the eyes. it looks warm, robust, serious, and capable. it looks like victory, freedom, and liberation. it looks friendly. it does not look evil. it does not look delicate. it does not look cheap.

it satisfies the ears. the clocklike schnick when you pull the bolt back. the warning click as you shove home another 8 round clip. the massive solid slam as the bolt rams another round into the chamber. the deep throated bark of the muzzle as you fire away. the final Ka-ting as the empty clip is ejected. the horrifying scream of agony as the guy four benches down learns never to hesitate when removing his thumb from a freshly loaded clip.

it satisfies the touch. the warm sculpted wood. the curve of the stock. the curl of the bolt lug. the take-up of the trigger. the robust, solid, yet unsharp push of the kick.

it satisfies the soul. it is the defender of liberty. it is the champion of victory. it is the guarantor of freedom. it will not be used to rob banks. no terrorist will unleash it on a crowd of unarmed victims. no gangster will use it to shoot little girl while missing his imaginary gangster enemies.

it is the good guy's weapon. it is just the ticket to liberate a country. it opens the doors of concentration camps. it saves people from tyranny. it topples dictators. it squashes fascists. it pushes communists behind their walls. it defends the homeland. it provides for the common defense. it is necessary for the security of a free state.

it brings joy to women and children as they fire it. it strikes fear in the hearts of those that oppose freedom. it makes friends at the shooting range. it reminds us of the cost of freedom. its lavish expense is appropriatly justified.

Guest Gun Geek

I have really got to go to one of these. Would an AK be in that consideration of service rifle? :shrug: . I just got one and am waitin on my ammo. One day I will come.