Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justme

I would like to see these fascist newspapers actually print the TRUTH for once in their lives...guns in BARS is, has always been and will be under this bill ILLEGAL...they should get over themselves and either print the TRUTH--I know--shocking term, or get OUT of the newspaper business--gotta love fascists...

If the Tennessean is going out on a limb to say specifically that he is going to announce that he is going to Veto the bill, I would think they have some pretty good information. (I could be wrong.)

They have pushed pretty hard against the bill for quite awhile.

Link

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A source tells The Associated Press that Gov. Phil Bredesen will veto a bill that would have allowed Tennessee handgun permit holders to take their weapons into establishments that serve alcohol.

A person familiar with the governor's decision spoke to AP on a condition of anonymity because the decision hasn't yet been announced.

Bredesen has set a Thursday afternoon news conference where he is to be joined by police chiefs and district attorneys from around the state.

The measure passed the state House and Senate by large margins. It takes a simple majority in each chamber to override a veto.

Lawmakers decided against a provision imposing an 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew. But they retained an existing ban on consuming alcohol while carrying a handgun.

the General Assembly will override him. I would find it very surprising if he did anything at all.

I sure hope so - and I hope it happens FAST. He seriously needs for the legislature to let him know they aren't going to put up with his anti-2A stance.

Guest jos2f

"Gov. Phil Bredesen has used his veto against HB962, which would allow handgun carry permit holders to carry their weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol."

Spineless whore

"“I remember from the course there was one thing that teacher drove into us day in and day out … that message was guns and alcohol do not mix,” Bredesen said. “That was a common sense proposition back then, and it is every bit as true today.”"

Shame our governer is so dumb as to not realize that DRINKING alcohol and guns don't mix. You can be around alochol in a grocery store, do guns not mix with that?

When will it go back to the Senate for override votes?

Edited by jos2f
Guest SomeGuy

Son of a...

He must be trying to certify his left-wing credentials in the hope of doing something nationally for the DNC or Obama.

Course, this once again shows that an NRA A rating means diddly.

As for how many we can lose, it needs a mere majority. We can loose quite a few votes.

I am kind of curious, last I heard we were winning on the poll he had going for pro vs anti on this. I wonder when/if the tide turned. Either way, I wish he had done this sooner, we could have over-ridden him by now.

Guest HexHead

Okay, so when does it go the Senate and to Naifehland? Are they gonna drag this **** out for weeks again? I wonder how many Dems will change their votes now that their Governor has shown his disapproval?

Guest Arko
Okay, so when does it go the Senate and to Naifehland? Are they gonna drag this **** out for weeks again? I wonder how many Dems will change their votes now that their Governor has shown his disapproval?

Aww crap, I hadn't even thought about his veto dragging more lap dogs along!

The Police Chiefs' political nonesense has always mystified me.

Son of a...

He must be trying to certify his left-wing credentials in the hope of doing something nationally for the DNC or Obama.

No doubt that is the case.

Either way, I wish he had done this sooner, we could have over-ridden him by now.

I suspect that his timing was intentional - quite possibly trying to work against an override while letting the bill sit on his desk.

Guest SomeGuy

Hex,

Not many. On the plus side, it was not unanimous on the GOP side, however, we can likely pull them in to over-ride a Democrat gov. I would be shocked if it passes with less than 20 in the Senate, and less than 60 in the House.

That said, we should keep the pressure on. As soon as it is officially done, I am getting in touch with my elected officials.

Guest HexHead
Son of a...

Course, this once again shows that an NRA A rating means diddly.

As for how many we can lose, it needs a mere majority. We can loose quite a few votes.

I am kind of curious, last I heard we were winning on the poll he had going for pro vs anti on this. I wonder when/if the tide turned. Either way, I wish he had done this sooner, we could have over-ridden him by now.

He must have his eye on a senate seat to replace Alexander. I'm sure his liberal big money contributors got to him.