TGO & HCP PR - Adopt a roadway

Guest Gun Geek

Guest Gun Geek

Thanks to this thread http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/newsworthy-reports/29406-good-google-page-ranking-carry-permit-holders.html

I started thinking about this.

Well I am looking into this. Beautification Office - Tennessee Department of Transportation - Environmental Division

We are never going to agree on an exact roadway. So... I propose that we have city/regional roads and adopt a whole bunch of them. Which means that we will need a coordinator for each road. To schedule the date and time for clean up.

How frequently are groups required to conduct litter pickups?

Groups are asked to make a commitment to adopt approximately two (2) miles of roadway for at least one (1) year and conduct a total of four (4) litter pickups on their adopted stretch of roadway. One pickup per quarter/season is recommended, although groups may conduct pickups more frequently.

If enough people are interested in helping out, I think that it is something that we could do. That is if TGO doesnt mind having its name attached.

I thought maybe a monthly or bi-weekly cleanup would be better than just one per quarter. Might show people that we are not just gun totin rednecks. That we do actually care about our communities.

UPDATE:

Here are a list of people who so far are in. If I missed you let me know. I got these from posts that said "I'm in" If the post didnt specify I didnt add you cause I wasnt sure.

56FordGuy Sumner County

adamween Cookeville,TN

Angus Hendersonville, Tn.

Arko Cleveland

BigPoppa Murfreesboro

ChuckTaylor Memphis

Gun Geek Sevierville, TN

Jasongar8 White House, TN

LagerHead Pegram, TN

Motasyco Morristown, TN

Mrgreenmachine Seymour, TN

nokoDAD Memphis

nokomom Memphis

StreetWK05 Nashville, TN

TGO David Rutherford Co.

TripleDigitRide Hendersonville

TurboniumOxide Chattanooga, TN

xd shooter Lewisburg, TN

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I have created a new Social Group for this. If you are willing to help out please join the group. Thank you.

TGO and HCP Adopt a Roadway

Here is an Easy link cause the join link is awfully small.

JOIN THE GROUP

Edited by Gun Geek

We do this as a church group and I have a few suggestions.

The first time you go out is going to be the worst one. You will fill up 40 bags of trash. Be ready.

Pick a central location to dump all the bags when you're done. Drop people off in all 4 corners of the road and meet in the middle where you're going to leave the bags.

For example, we have a 2 mile stretch of road. We meet at our middle location, check our list of people that we have the signed releases for (if anyone new shows up get them to fill out the form, just keep on file). Put on the orange vests and head out. Divide into 4 groups and drop off on each side of the road on each end.

Walk and pick up trash .. . bring gloves and don't worry about crazy stuff (road kill . big crap . ) You might have a a guy in a truck tailing along on the first day because the bags will fill up fast. Dump all the bags in one spot and call the number and tell them where it is. They will pick them up.

After that it's just maintenance. You'll find that even going only twice a year after that will be enough. We just did our road and only filled 10 bags.

Donuts are a must.

Oh, and you need to do it once before you'll get your sign put up.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I'm in. We need shirts. I need the exercise. RULE 1: Cardio. (The fatties get eaten first)

Edited by TurboniumOxide
Guest Gun Geek
We do this as a church group and I have a few suggestions.

The first time you go out is going to be the worst one. You will fill up 40 bags of trash. Be ready.

Pick a central location to dump all the bags when you're done. Drop people off in all 4 corners of the road and meet in the middle where you're going to leave the bags.

For example, we have a 2 mile stretch of road. We meet at our middle location, check our list of people that we have the signed releases for (if anyone new shows up get them to fill out the form, just keep on file). Put on the orange vests and head out. Divide into 4 groups and drop off on each side of the road on each end.

Walk and pick up trash .. . bring gloves and don't worry about crazy stuff (road kill . big crap . ) You might have a a guy in a truck tailing along on the first day because the bags will fill up fast. Dump all the bags in one spot and call the number and tell them where it is. They will pick them up.

After that it's just maintenance. You'll find that even going only twice a year after that will be enough. We just did our road and only filled 10 bags.

Donuts are a must.

Oh, and you need to do it once before you'll get your sign put up.

All very good suggestions, thank you. I know the road may not need to be cleaned up as often as once a month. But I think being out there more will show that we are engaged in other community activities, especially when all wearing the same shirt. See below.

I'm in. We need shirts. I need the exercise. RULE 1: Cardio. (The fatties get eaten first)

Yeah I need the exercise as well. Agree on the Shirts as well, or a safety vest... but a BRIGHTLY colored shirt would do.

Maybe we can convince David to make us a new forum just for this? for organizing these cleanups.

Guest Gun Geek

Another idea, does anyone know of a place that will make trash bags with logos?? ;)

Scratch that - found one. WAY to expensive.

Edited by Gun Geek
Guest Gun Geek

So should we do city or regional? If we do city the turn out may not be so great. But regional could have people driving a long way. Either one has its advantages and disadvantages.

David, maybe you could have some shirts made up for this and put them on the store, neon yellows, greens and pinks? Maybe we should come up with a catchy slogan for the shirts though.

I have to look but I think they require reflective gear. I will look into it more.

So where does the guy with the truck take the load?

Are all local collection places receptive to this or does the State mandate the locals take this stuff that is collected during these volunteer efforts?

I've done this type volunteer clean up in a national forest where we hauled truck and trailer loads out. The forest service coordinated to provide huge dumpsters for the disposal. We picked up everything from stoves, couches, toilets, you name it.

oldogy

Are all local collection places receptive to this or does the State mandate the locals take this stuff that is collected during these volunteer efforts?

I've done this type volunteer clean up in a national forest where we hauled truck and trailer loads out. The forest service coordinated to provide huge dumpsters for the disposal. We picked up everything from stoves, couches, toilets, you name it.

oldogy

I'm pretty sure the DOT picks up the bags of trash.

Guest Gun Geek

oldogy

Here you go. TDOT picks it up

After each subsequent litter pickup event, please contact us so we can pick up the bags from the roadside. At this time, please also let us know how many bags your group picked up. You may either call your TDOT Adopt-A-Highway District Coordinator or electronically submit your report online by visiting Beautification Office - Tennessee Department of Transportation - Environmental Division and click on Online Volunteer Activity Report Form. It’s very important that you report to us. It allows us to keep up-to-date records of your activities and ensures that your group gets acknowledgement for its contributions.
Guest HexHead

This is the one time I would condone open carry. As blatantly as possible, since cars will be whizzing by and not notice otherwise.

Especially if it's near Rayburn's or Dread's homes. LOLOLOL

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
This is the one time I would condone open carry. As blatantly as possible, since cars will be whizzing by and not notice otherwise.

+1

Clean up once and put up a big sign that says:

This road maintained by Tennessee Gun Owners.

Go on. Litter. We dare you.

While your out picking up trash, have a sign out temporary saying that TGO Members are doing the clean up. Maybe, just maybe someone will phone in to the media and get some media coverage. Now that would be some good PR!

Guest Gun Geek
+1

While your out picking up trash, have a sign out temporary saying that TGO Members are doing the clean up. Maybe, just maybe someone will phone in to the media and get some media coverage. Now that would be some good PR!

I was thinking of a chaser truck, flashers on - with a TGO sign with slogan on the tail gate for the clean up? Although, we might want to let the media find out themselves so it doesnt look like media coverage is our goal. I actually dont mind helping out in the community. Back in school we did a bunch of these adopt a roadway things in AZ.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
I was thinking of a chaser truck, flashers on - with a TGO sign with slogan on the tail gate for the clean up? Although, we might want to let the media find out themselves so it doesnt look like media coverage is our goal. I actually dont mind helping out in the community. Back in school we did a bunch of these adopt a roadway things in AZ.

Chaser truck w/flasher would be better! With a chaser truck, that would draw some attention! I agree about the media coverage. I should have worded my statement better. With a sign, maybe a passer by would call in to the media. That's what I meant.

Edited by StreetWK05
  • Administrator

Let's not get carried away with the idea of logo'd shirts just yet... the cost to screen print is considerable if you don't have whatever minimum quantity is required. Maybe the way to do it would be to have some Safety Yellow vests or something with something screened onto the back of them.

I'll see what I can do, but no promises.