TGO & HCP PR - Adopt a roadway

Guest Gun Geek

Guest Gun Geek

That sounds fine, I talked to a screen printer at the Knoxville gunshow this weekend if you want his info. I'm sure you have one though. Not trying to get carried away. Just throwing out ideas ;)

I gave this some thought after posting the original thread. Thought I'd check tonight to see if the thread attracted any attention. WOW! Way to go Gun Geek for jumping on the lead on this. Count me in. I'd love to see us adopt a section of I-81 in east TN. Let me know how I can help.

I'd be in if it were local.

I would also caution against starting too big. I'd say start in whatever portion of the state had the largest number of willing volunteers, then others might drive over once every few months?

As for a chase truck, I know this guy with an antique dump truck, that already has a TGO sticker on it...;)

Guest H0TSH0T

how about a safety orange t shirt with tgo logo front and back for trash pick up, after all if i volunteer i don't want people thinking i am a drunk doing community service.

how about a safety orange t shirt with tgo logo front and back for trash pick up, after all if i volunteer i don't want people thinking i am a drunk doing community service.

I can't say for sure but I suspect drunks doing community service would not be open carrying. Al least for very long.

Guest nokoDAD
Count NokoDAD and myself in. We would need a pretty large group to clean up Memphis I'm afraid.

We are definitely willing to travel to aid other areas.

Guest Gun Geek

Cool, I will look more into all of the details & requirements this weekend. I will have to call and see what roadways are available. If you guys give me ideas for roadways, since I am still fairly new to TN I will ask about them, I know pretty much Sevier county and that is it.

Guest princewally

While your out picking up trash, have a sign out temporary saying that TGO Members are doing the clean up. Maybe, just maybe someone will phone in to the media and get some media coverage. Now that would be some good PR!

I'm new to this site, but I was the media contact for the Minnesota group. My advice is to not leave the media to chance. Write a press release and send it to every news organization you can. Tell every possible media outlet what you plan on doing and when you plan on doing it.

Guest Gun Geek

Ok I updated the people who are in again on the first post.

I was thinking while regional stuff would be great, its going to be hard to get enough people at the beginning so right now we should probably start off with one big meet up & clean up. I was thinking a central point to all of us, Nashville/Murfreesboro area. Then slowly start expanding to more roadways within regional areas. Surely being out there and cleaning up we will end up with more volunteers in surrounding areas.

As far as getting a roadway in the regional areas, we could always place a classified ad for the area to get more TN gun owners to participate. I am willing to pay for sevier, cock, knox, jefferson areas on the ad, when the regional areas start getting more participants.

Another thought that I had on the regional clean up is to meet up and clean the roadway prior to our monthly shoots, maybe try to get a section of roadway near the range. That way people are going there anyway. Since shoots usually start 11-12 clean up could start at say 8-9.

Also this is going to take some more planning & organization so maybe this could start at the beginning of the new year. Or perhaps even spring time, so we are not freezing our behinds off, on the first clean up.

I still think we need a catchy slogan for this. While I like "go ahead, litter we dare you." and think its hilarious, I don't think it sends the message that we would want put out there. Something simple & easy to remember would be the best.

Let me know what you guys think.

I'm new to this site, but I was the media contact for the Minnesota group. My advice is to not leave the media to chance. Write a press release and send it to every news organization you can. Tell every possible media outlet what you plan on doing and when you plan on doing it.

I'm new too. I helped out with organizing the MN group's cleanup. Several more thoughts:

If you want to label your vests, obtain your own Class II vests. It looks like TDOT will loan you vests but that they'll want them back within three days of the cleanup, presumably not "defaced."

princewally is correct that you can't leave media coverage to chance. Even with a concerted PR push by him, we were lucky to get a media mention. That the mention was in one of the big local papers, was as long an article as it was, and was on the front page was very surprising. Push, push, push.

Keep it apolitical. There's no reason to couple your good community service with anything else. Not all people who carry are conservative or libertarian. The biased media outlets don't need to be handed a tool to smear you guys. We made it about the fact that those with carry permits are ordinary people.

Also, we didn't forbid OC, but we opted to not push it either. And it happened to be cooler moist weather, so we all happened to be covering up with our jackets and vests. In retrospect, it seems like this emphasized the fact that we are ordinary and going about our day like everybody else. Don't get me wrong, OC is a-okay in my book. IMO, it needs to be pushed by some of the people some of the time. But we had great success at focusing on the being ordinary side of things this time. The only reason anyone might have known we were carrying is because the reporter asked and chose to write it down. When it warms up again, I'm certain we'll have several folks OC'ing.

Good luck with your event!