Range report needed: guns and gear expo,

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my review:

Drove to Winchester with my brother-in-law (roninnashville). Took approximately 1:30 drive time, from Nashville, which was enjoyable as we discussed guns, guns, and more guns. Got trapped by the parade when we hit downtown Winchester and subsequently got lost (did not know that was possible in Winchester) but was given great directions by the local LEO's (very friendly and helpful) and made it safely.

As we walked into the show floor noticed that not nearly as crowded as I expected and not as many booths. But on further inspection of the booths, found that the actual merchandise was the best quality and best prices I have ever seen at a gun show. There was absolutely no crap. First quality stuff only and I was quite impressed.

The Pope/Goodman/RK shows may be bigger, but you'll never find as much quality merchandise at any of their shows, or see better prices. My hats off to Joe and David for that.

Now for the negative (I'm sure you saw this coming). My negatives have nothing to do with the event organizers or vendors, but actually the patrons. I've never been to a show with fewer people trading, buying or selling privately. I brought my Beretta to sell and didn't even get one "What's in the box?" except from a couple of the vendors. Also, I saw nobody carrying a weapon for sale or trade except myself (kinda weird).

All told, we spent approximately 2 hours at the show and found it to be enjoyable. The smaller crowd actually gave you more time with the vendors, and more importantly, the manufacturers (just a hint, Clandestine Suppressors will do very well when they get their distribution going).

If Joe and David are looking for pointers on a better show next time (I'm sure they aren't), I'd say stick with the same formula but try to get a few more vendors, especially for accessories like magazines and barrels. The other pointer I have is for the attendees. Next time, bring your money and your weapons. This is a gun show for crying out loud.

Guest Hornet Handler
Surefire was with the Benelli rep.

You would have also seen the new XDm 3.8 (or whatever its called) in person at that booth.

I tried to talk to he about Trijicon scopes and he never acknowlaged me. Seemed didn't really care to be there. Everyone else was great. The S&W guy was awsome! Becuase of him I know have a Magpul shopping list.

... Got trapped by the parade when we hit downtown Winchester and subsequently got lost...

...I've never been to a show with fewer people trading, buying or selling privately...

... (just a hint, Clandestine Suppressors will do very well when they get their distribution going).

Rightwinger and I were talking about someone getting stuck by the parade when we drove through that morning.

There were a handful of folks walking around with guns while we were there. I saw a couple of M1 Carbines, some milsurp bolt rifles (didn't look too closely), and a lever of some sort. I asked about one of the M1 Carbines, turned out to be a later Universal with a collapsible wire stock.

I was impressed by the suppressor folks. If my Ruger was threaded, I would've bought one. The gentleman at their booth said they expect to release the .223 version sometime around the NRA show, I'm excited about it.

I tried to talk to he about Trijicon scopes and he never acknowlaged me. Seemed didn't really care to be there. Everyone else was great. The S&W guy was awsome! Becuase of him I know have a Magpul shopping list.

I already had his weapons, now I just want his rifle and pistol case, it was perfect.

Guest Hornet Handler
I already had his weapons, now I just want his rifle and pistol case, it was perfect.

Werd! I liked the MOE furniture he had on the AR. It came from S&W that way. He walk to a couple of tables with me to show me were I could get a couple of the parts I liked.

If you take the jerky/gutterguard/elcheapoknives/indianjewlery booths out of a Goodman show, is it much better?

buk

That pretty well sums it up IMO.

Would have liked a holster company there and maybe some aftermarket grips.

I thought it was better quality merchandise than the ones I have seen in Chattanooga & Knoxville.

Eastman shows in Atlanta have a LOT more selection, but Atlanta is a little bit larger market than Winchester.:death:

For a first time effort, I thought it was a pretty good show.

Good to meet a few TGOers and what time did strickj finally show up? I didn't leave until almost 4 and I didn't see him.

I had a crew coming from Ft Jackson, SC and at the last minute the General changed drill dates due to the holidays. I was going to show them Nashvegas afterwards, then camp out at my hut there.

Talk about being bummed out. I was bragging on Joe at HG and I guess we will have to wait till the next one. :death:

That pretty well sums it up IMO.

Would have liked a holster company there and maybe some aftermarket grips.

I thought it was better quality merchandise than the ones I have seen in Chattanooga & Knoxville.

Eastman shows in Atlanta have a LOT more selection, but Atlanta is a little bit larger market than Winchester.:death:

For a first time effort, I thought it was a pretty good show.

Good to meet a few TGOers and what time did strickj finally show up? I didn't leave until almost 4 and I didn't see him.

I was stuck in Hamilton Place traffic for around three hours trying to leave town. Planned on getting there around 2, but I think I finally ended up getting there around 4 or so.

-Sub $100 stripped AR lower - none to be found, none even in the low $100's that I could find.

Hero gear has some for around $100

I was only able to be there for a few minutes, so I didn't really get a chance to hang out. I had planned to get there earlier.

A couple of friends of mine and I made the trek from Goodlettsville. As usual, get a couple gun nuts together in a car for a couple hours and how can you not enjoy it. The show was great for a first effort. I didnt have lots of money to spend this close to Christmas, but I did buy a few odds and ends. Loved the endors that were there and plan to come again to the next one. Hopefully, by then I'll be in a better position to buy. Still think the llocation was too far away. Nearer Nashville seems like it would be better for vendors and patrons alike. This was my first chance to see Hero Gear's offerings and it made me decide that I would visit their store sometime for sure. Suggestions: Have it near Nashville. Have a room/area for used guns and stuff. Continue to work on more vendors. Questions: While I realize that the vendors are there to make money, what is the goal of the organizers? Is it a money making event for them? Or was the admission fee just to cover expenses? This is not a criticism at all of their motives, as either way is ok, I am just curious. Hope you can continue it, and I will go again. Thanks to Joe and David and the others who organized it.

Guest mustangdave

I got a business card for the folks at Hoplite Haversack...wanted to do some more "research" but can't find a "web presence" the card just had email addys....anyone get anymore than that? are they a site sponsor?

Glad I waited till today to post. The show was smaller than I was hoping for and might have made comments I would have regretted posting.

I always thought Hero Gear was worth the drive from Nashville and have made it several times. It looked like Joe brought the whole store with him. I found lowers, quality ARs and ammunition at good prices. Also learned a few things from some of the venders.

Cost me 8.00 to get in the door which was less than the 800.00 it cost me to get out the door at Hero Gear last trip. :bat:

Good first event.

Okey

Fan of beef jerkey

Guest JHatmaker
I got a business card for the folks at Hoplite Haversack...wanted to do some more "research" but can't find a "web presence" the card just had email addys....anyone get anymore than that? are they a site sponsor?

The folks at that booth represent Haversack. The company is based in Montana, and from talking with the genteman there for a good bit (their booth was right across from the TGO booth) their ammo is some of the best quality you can get at mass-produced prices. Even the Exteme Shock guy was bragging on it. Apparently the Mil/Gov wanted to buy their .308 to try in Afghanistan but couldn't agree on a price...but who knows, could have been all talk.

I bought 3 boxes of their .308 and would have gotten some .45 and .223 but they only sell those two rounds in 500 round cases :bat:

I ended up buying Kenstaroni's .308 and he knew the folks at the booth, so maybe he could fill us in on somemore info. I was planning on talking to them more today, but my wife has had the :D 's all weekend and I would have felt bad leaving her alone with our 3 year two days in a row...

I thought this event was as good as one could expect for an inaugural run of such a show. As I expected, the focus was obviously on quality over quantity.

I've been to gun shows all over the country, and don't recall ever having the opportunity to speak with actual manufacturer Representatives from the type of vendors attending this show. That is a huge deal, IMHO. I always have tons of questions when in the market for certain items, and it doesn't get any better than receiving answers directly from the horses mouth. I'm sure such direct information from the Reps goes a long way when it's time to make a purchase.

I think the next events would greatly benefit by having more vendors dealing in firearms related accessories, used items, and vendors who deal in some less-expensive models of firearms and related items. Not everyone can afford the high-end goodies.

Although I'm sure there are good reasons for choosing the event venue/location, I do know this was a reason for many deciding against making such a trek. I passed out a large number of flyers to many of my customers in Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky. Many have always been willing to make the trip to Nashville and surrounding areas for gun shows, but almost all --if not all-- thought Winchester was too far of a drive. And these are people with money to spend.

All-in-all, I was glad I made the trip. I didn't have much money to spend, but didn't feel it was a waste of gas money, either.

A huge Thanks to David and Joe (and anyone else involved) for having the balls to make such an effort towards changing "gun shows" as we knew it. I have full confidence that this event will continue to grow and become what you've envisioned.

Hello everyone!

I went for about 2 hours on Saturday (I live in Murfreesboro) and frankly, I was a bit disappointed.

The bright spot for me was the Beretta mfg. table as I had a chance to talk to their rep about their shotguns (I’m looking for a good over/under or autoloader for clays and they had some nice guns there).

The “gear†that was available was probably the most disappointing from my perspective – I was thinking I might be able to pick up a nice holster or flashlight or even a coat, etc. but there just wasn’t much of that there (to be fair, that may have been an unrealistic expectation of mine!).

I hate to sound like I’m complaining as I don’t regret going but I do think there is room for improvement and I'm sure it will! :bat:

Edited by RobertNashville

I thought there was plenty there to buy.

granted, there wasn't a kiligion mom and pop shops there with over priced guns, and useless crap, but that was part of the point of this Expo.

One thing that stood out to me was the table with Maxpedition gear.

The closest I've yet to see anything resembling this type of gear at shows is the messenger\laptop bags that some guy sells. So that was a big plus for my book.

The other thing that stood out was the non-conventional stuff that is never at shows.

Like the guy selling quads,or the Safe House with their safes on display.

Whens the last time anyone ever saw a vendor with several large safes on display outside of a showroom?

Not to mention the vendor with large pallets of ammo!

The closest you'll come to buying ammo at a show is an over priced box from WalMart that some potato head is trying to sell.

Overall I think it could have been bigger with more vendors, but like said, I was pleased with it being the first event. It can only get better from here on out as more, and more big name vendors see this event as a mainstay.

Edited by strickj

For those who complain, the big shows have to start somewhere. And since the town the Inaugural Middle Tennessee Guns and gear Expo was held is no where near as big as Nashville, You have to expect the crowds wouldn't be so big especially the first time out. It can only grow for the next time.

I brought my friend( who happens to be the president of Opti-logic) to the show, he wasn't expecting the show to be like the shot show, or He would have set up a booth showing his Range-finders/binocs/etc... He'll be at the next one for sure.

I have been to the Friedmans gun show before in Nashville, and I'm more impressed with the Expo than the bigger shows.

Looking forward to seeing future shows get bigger and better everytime.