best stock for 10/22

Guest goomba

Guest goomba

I'm looking to upgrade to a longer stock for my 10/22 carbine (with the standard barrel, not the bull barrel). I'm leaning heavily in the direction of the Houge over molded stock in OD green. but midwayusa doesn't have them in stock yet. I could get another color and just paint the dang thang...

I'm planning on using this 10/22 for Appleseed, so I'll be getting tech-sights for it as well as a sling.

any suggestions?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the rubber textured Houge (black) on one of mine too, I like it just fine.

They also make a harder textured version, little harder to find, but some hard core 10/22 target guys say it even better - they claim the rubberized one flexes enough to affect accuracy. From my level of expertise, you couldn't prove that by me. :drama:

- OS

Guest nosnos

I gotta admit, at first I thought they were weird, but I like the thumbhole stocks. Is there any real advantage to that in the way they line up your hand to the trigger or something? Or do people just have them because they look cool?

What is the advantage of upgrading to a Hogue stock? It seems like they're pretty much the same as the factory stock? Is it a look thing or a function thing?

Hopefully this isn't thread hijack...

I gotta admit, at first I thought they were weird, but I like the thumbhole stocks. Is there any real advantage to that in the way they line up your hand to the trigger or something? Or do people just have them because they look cool?

What is the advantage of upgrading to a Hogue stock? It seems like they're pretty much the same as the factory stock? Is it a look thing or a function thing?

Hopefully this isn't thread hijack...

Not sure why so many folks do it in general.

Although a thumbhole stock does indeed put a different angle for your wrist and trigger pull. Sort of like using a pistol grip, without a pistol grip hanging down below the stock. The one I have shot a little with really WAS quite comfy, felt very ergonomic.

I changed stocks to the Hogue because I bought a circa 2000 stainless model that had the boat paddle stock on it. I just didn't really care for it, and it didn't have sling swivel adapter (wanted to add bipod), and way it was made I didn't feel comfy adding one. That stock was fairly desirable among collectors, so sold it on eBay for about $80 which was more than the Hogue cost. Also, the Hogue has swivel adapters on it.

If the rifle had had a conventional stock, either synthetic or wood, or a thumbhole model I wouldn't have bothered to change it.

Here it is:

1022-ss.jpg

One thing's for sure, it's really "tacky" feeling - you won't lose your grip on it!

Some complain that every little thing likes to stick to it, though, and it's somewhat true (dust, cloth fibers, etc).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Plastic? ....maybe, sort of like your extruded plastic Crosman scope? .....and the saddle horn grip must be from your Lone Ranger fantasy days? ;) old people -go figure.

Geez, did I strike a nerve, whippersnapper? Lighten up, sorry to get your Archangel BDUs in a wad.

I have nothing against modern polymers in firearm products, but I do draw the line at knives.

'Course, I draw the line at ProMag period, since I think the owner should be in prison for ripping each newbie off that buys his mags.

- OS

Guest billwilly73

10/22 stocks are about as limitless as your imagination and wallet will allow. I wanted something different so I went with the Predator Raptor in Green Envy...............I say get what you like and make it your own little one of a kind.

1022.jpg

2ruger1022.jpg

10/22 stocks are about as limitless as your imagination and wallet will allow. I wanted something different so I went with the Predator Raptor in Green Envy...............I say get what you like and make it your own little one of a kind.

1022.jpg

2ruger1022.jpg

Beautiful.

From the rare Green Mohimbo tree, found only in the jungles of the Isles of Langerhans, I believe. :tough:

- OS

okay, I will bite. What makes that Archangel stock so good?

It looks all tacticool in an AR sort of way. But what you have is still a semi auto .22. The plastic bayonet is pretty much garbage. What are you gonna do, stab someone with it? I doubt too many people think going into close quarters battle with a .22 a very good idea.

Does that stock make the rifle more accurate than the original stock?

okay, I will bite. What makes that Archangel stock so good?

It looks all tacticool in an AR sort of way. But what you have is still a semi auto .22. The plastic bayonet is pretty much garbage. What are you gonna do, stab someone with it? I doubt too many people think going into close quarters battle with a .22 a very good idea.

Does that stock make the rifle more accurate than the original stock?

Ah c'mon Mikey, you know the answer.

Because you can. :)

Why does Ruger sell this (SR-22)?:

1226.jpg

Because they can!

And Ruger didn't even have the decency to design a hi-cap mag for the silly thing.

- OS

But if the Archangel stock does not make the groups tighter why put it on?

Yeah you can, you could wipe dog pooh on it too, but will that make it more accurate?

I am waiting to read why that stock is the best thing for the 10-22

Yeah you can, you could wipe dog pooh on it too, but will that make it more accurate?

You'll be waiting awhile, then. :)

Hell I'm surprised it doesn't just crack and fall to pieces after a few hundred rounds. It IS made by ProMag after all. :)

I held one of THESE at last gun show, the Sig 522.

It weighs about same as a .223 model.

I understand why someone who already has an AR would put a .22 kit in to train/plink, but to buy a full size weight "battle rifle" that ONLY does .22?

Wow.

2009shotshow01162009027qk4.jpg

- OS

Guest billwilly73
Beautiful.

From the rare Green Mohimbo tree, found only in the jungles of the Isles of Langerhans, I believe. :eek:

- OS

Thank you,

The more I put into it, I think it came from that rare Money Tree that is almost extinct and definetly on the endangered species list around here!!!

The true part of this is there's nothing out there that will make a 10/22 group or even feed flawlessly, plus there is nothing tactical or very useful about a .22 in the first place so why does everyone own one?

The main thing here in my misunderstood post to start with is a Ruger 10/22 is one of the most over-rated and out-dated design out there period! I've had 3 from across the production time line and did not hesitate to pass them on to the next sucker in line chomp'in on the bit to buy one.

That's the truth no matter how bad it hurts.

Guest Bronker
Beautiful.

From the rare Green Mohimbo tree, found only in the jungles of the Isles of Langerhans, I believe. :cheers:

- OS

Aaaah, I spent a month there one night...talk about a sugar-high!

I'm still sporting the factory plastic, synthetic All-Weather carbine stock. Seems to do just fine so far. I don't like the fact there's no swivel studs pre-mounted, and had considered getting the BC folding stock.