Squirrel & Rabbit Hunting in West Tennessee

Guest swampcat

Guest swampcat

I am thinking of trying out Wolf River WMA near LaGrange for some rabbit and squirrel hunting before this yrs season is over. I am in Memphis. Anybody hunt there for small game or anywhere else around Memphis?

Edited by swampcat
spelling
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot, I'd drive to Stewart or Montgomery county for a good rabbit hunt. Nothing like hearing those dogs howl and whine when they're hot on a rabbit!

I need to find someone here in East TN that'll let me tag along with 'em next season.

And for the OP. Buy a Tennessee Gazetteer, it'll show you all the public land and what you can hunt there.

You can usually get them at walmart or sporting goods stores, but heres a amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Tennessee-Atlas-Gazetteer-Delorme/dp/0899333486

Edited by BrasilNuts
I was zoned out on meds when I was typing
Guest swampcat

wd-40,

Sounds great to me. Lets face it we got some pretty good hunting land here in w tenn with the bottoms and all. i just need to pal up with some people more familiar with the area as I have been out of hunting for a number of years and want to try and get back.

Guest swampcat

I am mostly small game......squirrel, rabbit, dove....just old fashioned I guess. Going back to my second childhood....Thats what happens when you hit 62 and have more time on your hands. Not familiar with LBL, Where is it ? Being here in Memphis I have thought about Wolf River WMA or Old Anderson Tully up on river. I would really like to get into Coyote and bobcat if I can find an experienced teacher.....probably easier said then done. Dah....just figured it out reelfoot land between lakes getting senile I guess.

Edited by swampcat

We have really been getting into coyote hunting here lately. With so many yotes around, seems like a given, to get out and do some calling. I have a friend who lost a rabbit dog to a coyote. I have no love for them things!

Guest swampcat

I would love to bust a few yotes someday....I just know its not all that easy to call in some...They make it look easy on those cable tv hunting shows....But my real thing would be to bag a bob...always wanted to get one

I am mostly small game......squirrel, rabbit, dove....just old fashioned I guess. Going back to my second childhood....Thats what happens when you hit 62 and have more time on your hands. Not familiar with LBL, Where is it ? Being here in Memphis I have thought about Wolf River WMA or Old Anderson Tully up on river. I would really like to get into Coyote and bobcat if I can find an experienced teacher.....probably easier said then done. Dah....just figured it out reelfoot land between lakes getting senile I guess.

Swampcat, you're definitely stirring up memories of days gone by. I used to do some of that kind of hunting back in the 60s, in Shelby County. Used to hunt up near Fort Story, North East of Millington, and over near Shelby Forrest. It's all probably subdivisions these days. There used to be some good quail hunting around there in those days. The farmers raised a lot of cotton, corn, and soy beans, all of which made good hunting for rabbits and birds...quail and dove. Hope you find a good location and get in some good "old fashioned" hunting...shotgun style.

• 1 year later...
Guest shadow fox

Hey swampcat i'm a small game hunter myself. I've been living in memphis for 20 years and hate having to go so far to hunt. Wolf river is great for all types of small game. So me and some friends have found a solution to the problem. we call it urban hunting. This year we went and bought some of the new adult air rifles. There are several places away from homes and safe to hunt. and yes there are plenty of fox and bobcat in the city limits. Oh and did i mention squirrel?