Star/FireStar M40

Mykltn

Just curious how many folks have this pistol and what their thoughts are about it. I purchased mine a few months ago for a really good price. I have shot about 100 rounds through it and absolutely love this gun. It has the best trigger of any auto I've ever shot. Fit and finish is first class and the size is perfect for CCW. Overall, a great little gun.

268ff4f2.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a 9mm and has well over 2000rds through it. Never missed a beat, and still going strong. Star is one of the best manufacturers around. They suffer from the bad reputation of other Spanish firearms manufacturers that dates back to the 1920s and 1930s when poor quality Spanish handguns flooded the US market.

Factory magazines are expensive and can be hard to find. Aftermarket magazines should be reserved for practice only as they are much less reliable.

I have the 9mm M43, like you I thought it was perfect for CC until one day I was shootng at the range and the firing pin broke. As you may or may not know Star is long out of business, therefore PARTS ARE EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND. I was lucky in the fact that I have a machinist background and access to equipment and was able to fabricate a new firing pin, otherwise it would have been a very handy paperweight. It has been reliable at the range with my homemade firing pin. but I DO NOT TRUST IT FOR CARRY. I have read many stories of broken firing pins on the M43, I do not know about the M40, but it is a known fact that the Firestar line did have a reputation for brittle firing pin breakage. They are nice pistols but I DO NOT TRUST MY LIFE WITH MINE. This just MY opinion.

Guest jimblasick

I just bought one in .45 acp and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet!

My first pistol was a Star 22. It jammed with long-rifle cartridges and wouldn't cycle with shorts but ran perfectly for thousands of rounds of longs.

I'm looking forward to shooting the .45

I just bought one in .45 acp and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet!

My first pistol was a Star 22. It jammed with long-rifle cartridges and wouldn't cycle with shorts but ran perfectly for thousands of rounds of longs.

I'm looking forward to shooting the .45

Please let me know how it does. I have been looking for a .45acp ever since I first shot my .40S&W. After not finding one, I finally bought the the RIA compact. Post a photo if you have one, I would be interested it seeing how it differs from the M40.

Something ate my post. I have a Star 40 just like the one pictured. I took it in as a partial trade. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I did have a Star PD and a BM (yes that what they called it!) years ago. Both were excellent guns at a decent price point.

This one is for sale or trade since it is the only 40 cal I own. I am trying to consolidate calibers. I will be listing it in the classifieds as soon as my camera comes home.

Something ate my post. I have a Star 40 just like the one pictured. I took it in as a partial trade. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I did have a Star PD and a BM (yes that what they called it!) years ago. Both were excellent guns at a decent price point.

This one is for sale or trade since it is the only 40 cal I own. I am trying to consolidate calibers. I will be listing it in the classifieds as soon as my camera comes home.

Too bad you are so far away. I wouldn't mind having a second M40.

Guest jimblasick
Please let me know how it does. I have been looking for a .45acp ever since I first shot my .40S&W. After not finding one, I finally bought the the RIA compact. Post a photo if you have one, I would be interested it seeing how it differs from the M40.

I took the M45 to the range today and WOW was I pleased. 100 rounds without a sputter. The pistol is far more accurate than I am. Everything out to 50 feet was on the target.

I've read comments that the pistol is heavy, but that might not always be a bad thing in .45 acp. It felt right to me.

I'll post a photo soon, but it looks just like the 9mm and .40. Not many of the parts are interchangeable, but they are the same design. After shooting today I was wanting to get one in all three calibers!

Guest jimblasick

Here's a photo:

IMG_1006.jpg

I took the M45 to the range today and WOW was I pleased. 100 rounds without a sputter. The pistol is far more accurate than I am. Everything out to 50 feet was on the target.

I've read comments that the pistol is heavy, but that might not always be a bad thing in .45 acp. It felt right to me.

I'll post a photo soon, but it looks just like the 9mm and .40. Not many of the parts are interchangeable, but they are the same design. After shooting today I was wanting to get one in all three calibers!

The blue book was $300 at 98%. We both got a fair deal.

Glad to hear it. I have seen a few on GunBroker but none in .45ACP. Most have been 9MM or 40S&W. Price is usually between $350 and $500. I purchased mine from the folks at Guns & Leather. Price was originally $289 but like always, they made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Ive had the M40 and decided to do an accuracy test between it and a HK P2000 from about 65 feet and it was almost impossible to get my Star on paper as to where when I picked up the HK it was on paper every time (HK was not mine btw)I do own a USP Tactical though . I know there is a major price gap between the guns but I just didnt like it so after that little comparison I sold my M40 just simply because I wouldnt trust it to save my life do to my inaccuracy with the weapon and the fact that there was recall on the M43 for the firing pin breaking.