Bullpups and NFA

This has probably been discussed, but my search turned up nothing.

Since I just got a bullpup STG556, it got me to wondering about the non sensicle NFA laws. Why exactly is a bullpup not considered a NFA iterm when it is shorter than say a 14" AR that has to be registered and a $200 tax paid?

Secondly, why doesn't everyone go the bullpup route! :D

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Because NFA laws are stupid and have no basis in reality.

2) Bullpup triggers generally suck, but otherwise it's just personal preference and cost. Besides, few people feel the need for a short rifle.

Personally, having owned a bullpup rifle, I vastly prefer the ergonomics, controls, and trigger of an AR15... and I got a kick@$$ suppressed, sbr'ed AR15 for the cost of that FS2000.

yeah, I considered the cost difference and had the MSAR not come WAY down in price, I would have gone the SBR AR route. Those FN's are pricey!

I do like having the extra velocity and range out of the 20" barrel, especially on the already "weak" 5.56.

I guess I was mostly intereted in the NFA laws.

The SBR rule was for back when pistols werent very powerful and outlaws sawed off rifle barrels to have a powerful concealable gun.

The rule/tax stamp really has no place now and is almost exclusively for revenue generation. The SBR rule at least should have been repealed a while ago.

DSCN0504.jpg

AWESOME!!!!! If the economy will just get some sort of life back in it... I'm picking up where I left off and am going to treat myself to some 10.5" SBR goodness!!!! <Thanks Molon... glad to see the green and blk... getting tired of seeing all the tan.)

Guest mgjohn

As long as the barrel is 16" and overall is 26" NFA does not apply. Know of a couple of cases where the barrel was too short but overall length was over 26" minium by 5 or 6 inches and the Feds still busted them.

Guest JHatmaker

I'm w/ you Nate. I'm into bullpups and sometimes miss my FS2000. It shot great and was very accurate. But I think my next BP will definately be an MSAR or Steyr. That's one of those rifles I've wanted since I was a kid watching all the late 80's/early 90's action movies...

Guest oldsmobile98

mgjohn and nightrunner got it.

Wikipedia tells me that the Aug was the first really successful bullpup, over 40 years after the NFA was passed. I'm guessing either there hasn't been too much crime with bullpups / it isn't worth the cost to Congress.

I think bullpups look cool, especially the Kel-Tec RFB. :up: Zero experience with them, though.

As long as the barrel is 16" and overall is 26" NFA does not apply....

That's it. And to add not full-auto. Plus the AR15/M16 is one of the few semi-auto rifles that have the recoil spring behind the bolt carrier that needs the extra length to accommidate it. Nearly all of the other semi-automatic rifles have (or can have) collapsable or folding stocks. That's the beauty of bullpup rifles. You can keep the minimum barrel length and be compact as possible.

1268426953.jpg

How can you not love this. Pass GO and keep your $200.

"That's a Monolpoy reference for those who didn't get it":D

Edited by LA_357SIG
add full auto
mgjohn and nightrunner got it.

Wikipedia tells me that the Aug was the first really successful bullpup, over 40 years after the NFA was passed. I'm guessing either there hasn't been too much crime with bullpups / it isn't worth the cost to Congress.

I think bullpups look cool, especially the Kel-Tec RFB. :up: Zero experience with them, though.

Gun control laws have absolutely nothing to do with crime. They are all about controlling you and me. NFA laws, AWB, etc were all to control the average citizen.

Guest oldsmobile98
Gun control laws have absolutely nothing to do with crime. They are all about controlling you and me. NFA laws, AWB, etc were all to control the average citizen.

I don't disagree with you. I just meant that the lack of crime with bullpups means that they don't have the pretext that is usually necessary to pass more gun control legislation without losing more than a few seats in Congress.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Worst things about bullpups are mag changes and alternate hand firing. Lets say you are right handed and need to fire around a corner on your left side. If you try to shoot most bullpup rifles left handed without making other changes first you will end up with a mouth full of brass, ouch.

Some bullpups don't have the "alternate hand" firing problem like the FS2000 with it's forward ejection tube or the PS90 that ejects spent cases straight down.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop
sp error
This has probably been discussed, but my search turned up nothing.

Since I just got a bullpup STG556, it got me to wondering about the non sensicle NFA laws. Why exactly is a bullpup not considered a NFA iterm when it is shorter than say a 14" AR that has to be registered and a $200 tax paid?

Sorry if I'm missing something.

Are you saying your STG has less than 16" barrel and does NOT have to have tax stamp paid?

Or that it is less than 26" overall, and doesn't?

- OS

That's it. And to add not full-auto. Plus the AR15/M16 is one of the few semi-auto rifles that have the recoil spring behind the bolt carrier that needs the extra length to accommidate it. Nearly all of the other semi-automatic rifles have (or can have) collapsable or folding stocks. That's the beauty of bullpup rifles. You can keep the minimum barrel length and be compact as possible.

1268426953.jpg

How can you not love this. Pass GO and keep your $200.

"That's a Monolpoy reference for those who didn't get it":D

So fill us newbies in on what you have there please.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry if I'm missing something.

Are you saying your STG has less than 16" barrel and does NOT have to have tax stamp paid?

Or that it is less than 26" overall, and doesn't?

- OS

No. Mine has a 20" barrel, but the 16" version is shorter than an M4 that requires a NFA stamp.

Just pointing out that NFA makes about as much sense as the tax code.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...