Mid-Tenn TGO Motorcycle Ride

Which date would suit you best?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which date would suit you best?

• Saturday, April 17, 2010
    • Saturday, April 24, 2010
    • I'm Easy. You pick the date.

Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010

Meeting Place: Shell Gas Station/Bar-B-Cutie (Next to Loveless Cafe)

8456 Highway 100

Nashville, TN 37221

Departure Time: 10:30 A.M.

Lunch: David Crockett State Park Restaurant

1400 West Gaines (Highway 64)

Lawrenceburg , TN 38464

There is no firm time for lunch, but it is important to keep in mind that Lunch is served Tuesday through Sunday from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Route: From the Shell Station/Bar-B-Cutie, it's only 1-2 blocks (IIRC) to the entrance for The Natchez Trace Parkway. We will then travel roughly 70 miles South on The Natchez Trace Parkway. We will be exiting The Natchez Trace Parkway at Highway 64. Once at Highway 64, we will head East until we reach David Crockett State Park for lunch.

As far as I know, there will not be anywhere to refuel during our stretch on The Natchez Trace Parkway. However, for those who may need to refuel, Self's Market is just 3-4 miles (on the left) from the intersection of The Natchez Trace Parkway and Highway 64. Self's Market is located on Highway 64 and Highway 240. For those who can wait to refuel until after lunch, we can determine a fuel stop at that time.

After lunch, we will continue East a short distance on Highway 64. From Highway 64, we will head North on Highway 43 into Columbia, TN. Once in Columbia, Highway 43 turns into Highway 412/Bear Creek Pike (after crossing Highway 31). Highway 412/Bear Creek Pike will take us to exit 46 at Interstate 65.

At this point, if we so decide, there are several establishments at this intersection to meet one last time for goodbyes before heading in our own directions. I guess this is assuming we have members coming from all directions.

It is also important to note, the Natchez Trace Parkway is governed by the National Park Service, so it is perfectly LEGAL to carry loaded firearms while traveling this stretch of roadway.

Because there were a couple members who mentioned a dislike for riding with a group, or riding with a group of riders who didn't ride the same type of bikes, I would like to make a couple suggestions in hopes of making everyone feel comfortable enough to join us.

Riders with sport bikes tend to have the ability to go a little faster than those of us on cruisers. It may be a good idea for the riders with sport bikes to lead the pack. This will help ensure those with itchy throttle hands aren't stuck behind the slowpokes.

Secondly, if you don't like to ride in a group setting, period, you don't have to. Everyone is more than welcome to ride at their own pace. Everyone will know where to meet for lunch, so no need to feel pressured into keeping up, or worse, decide not to attend the ride at all.

We would like as many TGOers to attend this ride as possible, and I'd like to think we can make everyone comfortable enough to do so.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, feel free to invite others. If you have family members or friend that would enjoy cruising with a bunch of gun nuts, bring 'em along.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so feel free to make some suggestions. By no means is any of this set in stone.

Based on the route mentioned above, this ride should be roughly 120 miles +/-, IIRC.

Don't forget to vote in the poll.

Update:

I decided to call the David Crockett State Park Restaurant to double check that they do not serve alcohol. They do not.

The young lady I spoke with did say that carrying of firearms in the restaurant is allowed. However, they would likely call for a Ranger just to make sure you have a valid HCP.

Hopefully this won't be a major issue with anyone who decides to join us for the ride. If it is, finding another location for lunch is an option.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to call the David Crockett State Park Restaurant to double check that they do not serve alcohol. They do not.

The young lady I spoke with did say that carrying of firearms in the restaurant is allowed. However, they would likely call for a Ranger just to make sure you have a valid HCP.

Hopefully this won't be a major issue with anyone who decides to join us for the ride. If it is, finding another location for lunch is an option.

Guest AlzRuger

Sounds like fun. Wish I could go. Hope it is a success and you have another one late June or early July when work will let me be in town... I don't care what you ride,,,,,, just as long as you ride,,,, and ride safe.

Guest rfought

There are plenty of markets that sell gas and also have snacks, beverages, sandwiches and other food that are near the Natchez Trace Parkway. Some of the markets are of the old "general store" variety that are quite interesting. Between the northern terminus of the Trace (where the Shell station/Loveless Cafe are located) and US 64 there are four exits where gas and food are no more than two miles from the Trace. For directions and info see this link: Tennessee Natchez Trace Access / Exit Roads

As long as I don't have to work I should be able to make this.

Hey Rightwinger I can meet you at the 4-way or in Gallatin if you want to convoy down?

FYI with a SuperHawk in the mix I will have to stop for gas every 100 miles or so.

Edited by Verne
As long as I don't have to work I should be able to make this.

Hey Rightwinger I can meet you at the 4-way or in Gallatin if you want to convoy down?

FYI with a SuperHawk in the mix I will have to stop for gas every 100 miles or so.

I usually fuel every 120 +/- miles, myself. We shouldn't have any troubles.

The speed limit on the Trace is isn't exactly "breakneck", so fuel will go a little further. Even if we accidenly (:D) exceed the spped limit from time to time, I'm sure we'll make it just fine.

If we top of the tanks at the Shell station, we should easily make it to Self's market or Lawrenceburg.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
I'll have a fully functioning, non leaking bike for this one. I'm in barring any foreign travel.

If I can make it they will be two 07 GS500F's out there.

Just thought I'd bump this thread because we finally have sunshine. Can't wait to get the bike out tomorrow.

Me too!

Edited by StreetWK05
I would be in on the 24th, but Hero-Gear has a 2 day range event on the 17/18th

Based on the current votes, it appears April 24th may be the date.

Hmmm.. sounds interesting. I guess ya"ll don't mind if I ride an old loud Fatboy do ya?

Is everyone or anyone taking the better half or is this a guys day out thing?

Personally, I have no issues with anyone bringing their significant other. This will give us a good indication as to who still has their cojones and who doesn't. ;)

If I can make it they will be two 07 GS500F's out there.

Me too!

That would be great! I'm looking forward to a nice long ride. The longest I have done on it so far was up to Cookeville and back in an afternoon. I also want to hit the Dragon with it but I'm skeered of all the rocks that keep falling off the mountains over der in E. TN !!!

That would be great! I'm looking forward to a nice long ride. The longest I have done on it so far was up to Cookeville and back in an afternoon. I also want to hit the Dragon with it but I'm skeered of all the rocks that keep falling off the mountains over der in E. TN !!!

Check before you go out there according to the Deals Gap Store our Gov had the road closed at the Tn state line to the foothills parkway. For some reason he hates the Dragon, he sent a lot of Troopers out there over the last couple of years to write tickets to motorcyclist.

I think it's closed due to a huge rock slide right now anyway. There was video on the news the other night of a "insert adjective here" driver that ran his little Toyota Camry or Nissan Sentra looking 4 door right up on top of some 2 to 3 foot rocks. Caught on film by a news team. Said he was distracted by the camera crew and didn't see the road that was totally covered by rock. Let me see if I can find that gem of a vid.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
There was video on the news the other night of a "insert adjective here" driver that ran his little Toyota Camry or Nissan Sentra looking 4 door right up on top of some 2 to 3 foot rocks.

If I'm not mistaken that is a Lincoln MKZ or MKS.