Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners

Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners -- The Premier Website for Tennessee Firearms Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have an account with us, please Sign In.

If you do not have an account, register now for one! It's 100% free and easy to do. »» Join TGO Now ««

As a member of Tennessee Gun Owners you can...
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Saiga 7.62 Conversion Tutorial *** Pic Heavy***

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Not an expert.

• Moderators
  • 4,384 posts
Carry Permit Holder Military

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:07 AM

-Preface-
First of all I want to thank Smith. He helped me a ton between PMs and then finally me calling him with questions as I got stuck in some parts.

His Saiga conversion links were also a tremendous help. I read several threads over at forum.Saiga-12.com also.
As I looked at some tutorials I decided to document my work so I could use them to show what I had done if I screwed something up. It ended up being a much simpler process than I anticipated but I think its just the unknown that was the problem. After I started I decided that instead of sending people to the saiga-12 forum we should be able to have our own tutorial and so I will show the first part of my conversion. I took photos of my parts being added but thats more of a personal choice and more apt to be different depending on which stock/furniture you go with. I will post them anyway just not right this minute as it's getting late already.

I had been thinking of getting a Kalashnikov style rifle for the last few months. I have seen other people’s conversions so I decided to go with a Saiga. I picked up a rifle thinking I would do the rest over a period of time but instead I haven’t been able to wait. While on vacation I spent my free time looking up different stocks and parts I can install on my rifle. I knew I wanted to go with a pistol grip and be able to use surplus magazines. This requires modifying the rifle. This first post will be removing the OEM rifle parts to get down to the receiver to prepare for adding your own items.
Here is the stock rifle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first step I took (I am no expert by any means) was to lay the rifle down and remove the hand guard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had to tap gently on the hand guard to get it loose at this point. I just put the tip of the screw driver on the plastic and tapped it a couple of times.

Posted Image

I then removed the top cover by pushing the button in and lifting up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, push the recoil spring assembly forward, then up and back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If the hammer is not lowered at this point, push it back to lock it in place.

Posted Image

Now remove the bolt and bolt carrier assembly by pulling it all the way to the rear and lifting up and back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The next step is not necessary but I did it during mine so I am listing it. Just forward of the rear sight leaf on the right side is a small latch (I do not know the proper name) that releases the gas tube. It should be rotated up. You can then lift out the gas tube.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://img208.images...nversion015.jpg

To remove the stock you need to remove three screws. Once they are all removed you then just pull the stock to the rear to remove. Again I had to tap with my screw driver and a hammer lightly.

http://img71.imagesh...nversion016.jpg

http://img164.images...nversion017.jpg

http://img651.images...nversion018.jpg

http://img177.images...nversion019.jpg

***continued in next post***

Edited by Daniel, 15 April 2010 - 03:56 AM.

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Not an expert.

• Moderators
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:07 AM

***continued***

You should now be ready to start the permanent changes.
Just above the trigger on the right side are two pins that need to be drilled just a little to remove the bent out edges. I used a hand drill with a 3/16 bit going pretty slowly since I didn’t have a vice to hold it steady.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You then use a punch and a hammer to remove the pins.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The trigger and this Y shaped piece should come free at this point.

Posted Image

There is a fairly long spring called the retention spring. It is located approximately in the same location as the trigger. Pull it out from the rear.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can then tap out the axis pins. Keep these along with all of the springs. I just kept all of the parts in a box until I was complete just to be sure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

***I missed a couple of pieces falling out here and didnt take a pic at the time.***

The next thing to be removed will be the safety lever.Just rotate it up and to the side to slide it out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You should have the mainspring and the hammer left. Just left them up and out.

Posted Image

Here is what we have removed so far.

Posted Image

I thought that was it until I tipped the receiver over and the bolt hold open (BHO) + spring dropped out.

Posted Image

Here is an inside view of two of the rivets we will have to remove next. They are the round pieces in the center. There is one more at the left side.

Posted Image

I moved into my garage and got my dremel. I am pretty terrible with the thing and don’t have much practice so I probably used the wrong wheels to do the job but I did get it done.

Posted Image

The first rivet is just behind the trigger guard. The next is under the trigger guard and the last is just behind the mag catch.

http://img405.images...nversion040.jpg

http://img690.images...nversion041.jpg

http://img100.images...nversion042.jpg

Once I had ground the rivets down I gently pried up on the plate to remove it. That still left the three rivets in the holes. I tried grinding on them some more and ended up just drilling them a little and then knocking them out with some punches.

http://img197.images...nversion044.jpg

At this point you should be ready to install your own parts.

Edited by Daniel, 15 April 2010 - 03:54 AM.

#3 56FordGuy

56FordGuy

TGO Senior Member

• Authorized Vendor
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

Tag for updates.

Can't get the photos to load here, either, but still trying.

#4 Magiccarpetrides

Magiccarpetrides

The Original Forum Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts
Carry Permit Holder

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

can an admin either finish this or delete it since daniel won't be updating it lol.

#5 6.8 AR

6.8 AR

TGO Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,607 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Actually, from what I've seen, and from what my son did with his Saiga 12, the point where Daniel
left off is where you would be, depending on the parts being used to modify. It would be nice to see
how his progress continued, but not necessary. I remember watching my son throughout the whole
thing. The heavy lifting part is well documented now. Good job, Daniel.

#6 Magiccarpetrides

Magiccarpetrides

The Original Forum Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts
Carry Permit Holder

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:55 AM

probably true, didnt think of it that way...just wish this thing was complete but i guess thats what google and youtube are for.

#7 6.8 AR

6.8 AR

TGO Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,607 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

I showed this to my son and he agreed for the most part. I think he and Daniel were working
towards the same goal. My son did a very nice conversion to a Saiga 12. Ass Kicking fine
shotgun. All the same stuff apply to it. I wish we had made some pics of the conversion process.
i know what you mean Magic, and I didn't mean to sound snobbish or whatever, but after looking at
all of what Daniel did take pics of, in my mind it was like a refresher course and looked easy.

It's kind of odd the first time you do something, like the first beavertail on a 1911 was to me, but
it really isn't so bad.

#8 frontier737

frontier737

TGO Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

I converted a Saiga 5.45 and it was a great experience. There is a bit of pride knowing that I did it but most of all I built a rifle the way I wanted too.

I found a series of videos on youtube which helped me. Here is a link to part one of that series:

#9 bigwakes

bigwakes

TN Tactical Supply

• Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I converted a Saiga 12 and used the YouTube videos and parts from Carolinashooters.com. Great guys to deal with and very competitive pricing.

Looks good if I do say so myself!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 6.8 AR

6.8 AR

TGO Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,607 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Yes, that looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Not an expert.

• Moderators
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

probably true, didnt think of it that way...just wish this thing was complete but i guess thats what google and youtube are for.

The rest would be specific to the parts you bought to put on. I didn't post the rest of my build because it would be specific to my build only.