Sheridan Blue Streak Pellet Gun Problems

Any Sheridan Blue Streak pellet gun experts on the forum? I have one I bought new back in the 60s. It sat in the closet, untouched, for many years. Can't remember the details about trying to revive it last time, but do remember it wouldn't pump up.

Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with disassembling and repairing one of these? I know I could send it in for repairs, but that gets pretty pricey. I'm trying to figure out what might be bad (seals..O-rings..gaskets.. flapper valves), where and if I can buy them, and if they're easily repaired. I've never had mine apart. Before, about 5 pumps would bury a pellet in a new 2x4! It shot true and very hard.

I'm just interested in getting it going to dispatch some pesky birds and critters. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. Mine has been used intermittently for the last 40+ years and hasn't developed any problems, other than finding 5mm ammo.

I found some 5MM at a little mom and pop gun shop somewhere up in the northeast, a few years back. I wish I had bought all they had on hand! I only bought a couple of boxes. There's that hindsight thing.

Is there any way you could drip some air tool oil into it? Pneumatic seals can 'dry out' for lack of a better term and start leaking/ not seal. Sometimes some air tool oil can get them going again.

You know, I think oiling (too much) may have been what led to this problem... that, or it may have been dry fired! I believe I recall (senior moment you know) it not pumping up all the way. then some oil remedy or something, and now it won't even pump up any! I should have let well enough alone! Again, there's that hindsight thing.

Anyone know anything about repairing the internal valve?

Don't oil them! Don't pump over 8 times either. There are a couple of sites that sell rebuild kits for them....only thing that wears out are a couple of -O- rings. I have owned 3 of these guns over the years and all of them eventually needed to have a rebuild.

This is something that you can do...nothing on that gun is very complicated.

These are the best pump airguns made BTW. You should hold on to that one. Midway and most of the big box shops sell .20 caliber pellets. Not cheap, but still cheaper than .22 lr

CLICK HERE

Don't oil them! Don't pump over 8 times either. There are a couple of sites that sell rebuild kits for them....only thing that wears out are a couple of -O- rings. I have owned 3 of these guns over the years and all of them eventually needed to have a rebuild.

This is something that you can do...nothing on that gun is very complicated.

These are the best pump airguns made BTW. You should hold on to that one. Midway and most of the big box shops sell .20 caliber pellets. Not cheap, but still cheaper than .22 lr

CLICK HERE

Thanks Pie, have you installed one of these kits? If so, was it a Blue Streak from the 60s era? I plan to order a repair kit, after I figure out which one I need. If you've replaced these I may call on you for guidance as I install my new kit. Please let me know if there are any "NO-NOs that will cause me to ruin the installation kit parts. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks Pie, have you installed one of these kits? If so, was it a Blue Streak from the 60s era? I plan to order a repair kit, after I figure out which one I need. If you've replaced these I may call on you for guidance as I install my new kit. Please let me know if there are any "NO-NOs that will cause me to ruin the installation kit parts. Thanks a bunch.

It was a similar kit, but it was probably in the mid 90's when I installed it. It was the Gen II Blue streak that I wore out.

Here is how the Sheridan guns have been made over the years.

Gen - 1 has the tang safety (Like a mossberg 500) that must be pressed forward to shoot

Gen - 2 has the rocker at the tang labeled F or S

Gen - 3 is the current generation with the trigger guard mounted safety.

It wasn't difficult to do and the instructions were more than adequate. If you can change the brake pads on your car...you can do this. Basically the -o- rings wear out and simply need replacing. Most difficult thing is drifting out pins.

All you Sheridan Blue Streak guys, here's some more information on my "Blue Streak". On the left side of the pump tube, under the receiver area is written; "BLUE STREAK" 5mm CAL. Just above this on the actual receiver area is the numbers 4691, which I assume to be the S/N. On the right side of the pump tube , under the receiver area is written; SHERIDAN PRODUCTS INC. RACINE WIS. - Made in U.S.A.

Can anyone steer me to a S/N listing that will give the year of manufacture, and which repair kit I need? I bought it new in around 1968. Thanks.

Also, I'd like to find detailed instructions for disassemble and reassembly, with diagrams, pictures, or parts listing if possible. Thanks again.

Edited by Sidewinder
I can;t help you, but the Sheridans are worth repairing. My silver streak and pump pistol are still going strong.

How many years have you had your Silver Streak, Wareagle? Do you know what the difference is between the Silver Streak and the Blue Streak? Internally, aren't they pretty much the same gun?

I was hoping there was someone that could direct me to a website with the repair instructions and parts breakdown for my Blue Streak...still hoping... and looking.

Edited by Sidewinder

I did a lil diggin and found a guy in texas that repairs those rifles .....a repair kit is NOT available . here is his contact info

George Pena heligun1@msn.com or 512-863-2951.

I don't know if the email or phone number is good I found the info from an old blog dated back in 2006

you might could check with this guy i found he was recommended as recently as last year

John Groenewold, PO Box 830, Mundelein, IL 60060-0830, (847) 566-2365

A full service airgun parts and repair business, specializing in Crosman, Benjamin, Sheridan, and Daisy.

hope this helps

I did a lil diggin and found a guy in texas that repairs those rifles .....a repair kit is NOT available . here is his contact info

George Pena heligun1@msn.com or 512-863-2951.

I don't know if the email or phone number is good I found the info from an old blog dated back in 2006

you might could check with this guy i found he was recommended as recently as last year

John Groenewold, PO Box 830, Mundelein, IL 60060-0830, (847) 566-2365

A full service airgun parts and repair business, specializing in Crosman, Benjamin, Sheridan, and Daisy.

hope this helps

Thanks Mad Squirrel,

I think I will repair it myself. Actually, there are repair kits available out there. There is someone even selling them on eBay! Pyramid Air also sells them, as does a couple of other places.

There's just a couple of special tools to buy, which actually comes with the kit on eBay.

Thanks for the help though. I'll let all of you know how it shoots after I finish the repair.

• 2 weeks later...
How many years have you had your Silver Streak, Wareagle? Do you know what the difference is between the Silver Streak and the Blue Streak? Internally, aren't they pretty much the same gun?

I was hoping there was someone that could direct me to a website with the repair instructions and parts breakdown for my Blue Streak...still hoping... and looking.

I have had my silver streak for about 30 years. The blue steak and silver streak are the same rifle, jus differnet colors. Silver is the nickel finish. I also have a pump pistol. Its still going strong as well.

• 8 months later...
Guest captaindonoho

The step by step instruction are provided on the web page link where you buy the kit. I took mine apart before I ordered the kit just to make sure I was ordering the right kit. I have a generation one Blue Streak. Like everyone has said, it's not hard.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest MtnMan5150

I have 2 Blue Streaks and a Silver Streak that I got from my Grandfather. One of the Blue Streaks will build pressure when pumping without cocking the bolt first. The other will NOT build any pressure unless you cock the bolt first. The guns all look identical except for the color on the Silver Streak. Just wondering if there is something wrong with one or two of them. Any insight would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
I have 2 Blue Streaks and a Silver Streak that I got from my Grandfather. One of the Blue Streaks will build pressure when pumping without cocking the bolt first. The other will NOT build any pressure unless you cock the bolt first. The guns all look identical except for the color on the Silver Streak. Just wondering if there is something wrong with one or two of them. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a 92-97 397 model and it won't build pressure without cocking the bolt first. I don't know if that helps you or not.

I have been wanting to reseal my airgun and this thread pushed me to do it. :-)

Now the deck eating squirrels at my house will fear me, again!

[h=1]Squirrels, You Will Respect My Authoritah![/h]

sp020312m4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thejohnchapman

The reason is based on the relative pressure of the valve springs vz. the hammer spring. The two inner valve springs hold the valve SHUT, so that pressure can build. When the hammer strikes the valve stem, the stem pushes against these two springs.

If the two inner springs are weak, the uncocked hammer lies against the valve stem, holding it open. The valve won't shut until the pressure is taken off, by cocking the gun, and moving the hammer to the rear. In a newer gun, or one where the internal springs are stronger, the hammer sprng will not overpower the valve springs. The valve stays shut even though the hammer is resting on the stem.

This shouldn't prevent smooth and useful operation of the gun. If you want to, and feel like doing a complete valve rebuild, buy the parts from Pyramidair and pull the valve, replacing the springs. Stronger valve springs will keep the hammer from holding open the valve.

• 4 years later...