Knoxville Gun Show...What to expect?

So I'm hoping to get to attend my first gun show coming up in a couple weeks in Knoxville. So i'm just kinda wondering what to expect? If there isn't anything in particular that you go wanting, What type of things do you keep your eyes open for at these shows? What are usually the "good-deal" items? I guess it probably varies from show to show, but I figured there are probably some "usual items" that you can find some good deals on maybe? There isn't really anything particular that I need, but wouldn't be opposed to buying something if I ran across the right deal.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1817ak47

will keep it brief. alot more variety than what many gun shops combined will have. if you know what you are looking for, research prices BEFORE you go. you can find good deals sometimes, but also there is alot of stuff that is price 20, even 40% or more than going rate for some firearms.

I like to go to see all the variety that can't be seen at several gun shops inventory combined. heck last one I went home to research a price on a new pistol and then came back w/o having to pay admission a 2nd time to make sure I was getting a good price.

let me know what further q's you have or what inparticualr as we may be able to help direct you better

Guest Gopher6

The only good deals you'll find are by highly motivated (need money)private sellers walking around the show. Most of the vendors are priced hoping for a newbie or the uninformed. In time you'll notice they have the same material show after show. Having said that, occasionally you will find that part, box of bullets or "gotta have" item that you'll spend a redicules amount of money on.

Know what prices should be (the internet is your friend) and be prepared to haggle, this only works if you have cash in hand.

Also, remember, you can't do a private firearm sale across state lines.

Hope this helps.

Guest oldsmobile98

I'd look for ammo deals. Don't be afraid to haggle.

If you are planning on getting there at the beginning, you might do a quick once-over for good deals on guns that you are interested in. If there are good deals, they don't typically last too long.

Pay attention to the private sales (non-retail)! Some of the best deals are sometimes here. Also, private sales make Michael Bloomberg cry. This is a good thing. Private-sales folks might have a table, or they might just be walking around with a box or with a slung rifle.

If you have anything to trade, bring it. You never know what somebody might like. But make double-plus-sure that you are ok with seeing it go!

If you buy used, make sure you know how to check the condition of the firearm, and know how much it is worth. Don't get taken in.

If someone tries to sell you full-auto stuff, he is a BATFE Agent. Say no thanks.

If you end up buying nothing, don't count it as a loss. Half the fun is meeting gunfolk and checking out guns that you usually don't have the opportunity to see.

Edited by oldsmobile98
Guest tntrucker

Definatly know your prices before hand. Most of the regular sellers are not offering good prices. There is so much (other stuff) for sale. Good luck, hope you find something you want. The best thing about them is how much people like Bloomberg don't like them.

Guest DeadEye

Most of the time on stuff i look at, the best deals from Vendors are from a dealer called T&T Firearms, he has the best prices of all Vendors and a place called Volunteer Ordanance has the most expensive prices!

But sometimes one can find a good deal from a private sale.

Guest HvyMtl

the private sellers walking around? well. Do your homework and know what you are looking for. Otherwise, you may get a lemon. (FYI:Most of the private sellers are good people, its the small % you have to protect yourself against. So, know what you want to buy, and or how to make sure the item you are buying is legit...)

Guest 1817ak47
Most of the time on stuff i look at, the best deals from Vendors are from a dealer called T&T Firearms, he has the best prices of all Vendors and a place called Volunteer Ordanance has the most expensive prices!

But sometimes one can find a good deal from a private sale.

true t&t gives good price on there new firearms thatr are very very competitive even with what you find online before your ffl transfer fee. been there done that

I generally use the gun shows to actually touch and item before I order it from somewhere else. It is hard to tell how something feels on a computer screen or the quality. I do this mostly with scopes.

About the only things I regularly buy at gun shows is reloading supplies and rimfire ammunition. Other than that I just order what I want off of the internet.

As everyone else has said, private sellers is where you are going to find your deals.

Generally before certain hunting seasons is when the deals pop up. Before turkey you could find hunting rifles all over because people were selling them to finance their turkey guns. Now that turkey season is almost over you will more than likely find more shotguns for sale from private individuals as they are no longer using them and are probably looking for something else. Never look for a particular firearm right before a hunting season that uses that firearm, like a deer rifle right before deer season.

And finally, don't be afraid to haggle. Even dealers are open to haggling if it leads to a sale. I have never found a person who wouldn't haggle over price or accessories.

Dolomite

The only good deals you'll find are by highly motivated (need money)private sellers walking around the show. .

That's just not totally true.

There are a couple of big vendors there that will be the same or cheaper on certain new guns than anyone in the area, unless it's one carried at WalMart.

T&T out of Selmer, for example -- always look there for a new gun to compare with local.

Last show, I bought a new XD 9 tactical new for $485 plus tax/tics from a small seller. Not a steal, but still a few bucks under anyone's best price in Knoxville, where I've never seen any new XD for under 499.99, and they're usually more like $520 and up.

Always take cash, and ask for vendor's best cash price. That will generally get you at least 5% off as they pay at least that in cc fee on the transaction.

- OS

Wow, Thanks guys! I probably won't be in the market for a new gun, but I would be interested in finding some deals on ammo. Particularly .22lr or 9mm for my M&P. However I might consider if I found a good deal on another range bag, rifle case, or various accesories. Although I would like to, I don't really have the available funds for a new(or new to me) gun. :D

Thanks alot for all the input!

Guest 70below

There are occasionally some pretty good prices on range bags and cases, depending on what you're looking for. There is usually a bag manufacturer there at each show with a lot of variety and good prices if you like the style of the stuff they make.

I've seen Volunteer Ordinance with some very good prices in the past. Just like most dealers though, they get great deals they can pass along on some items and others they don't.

The gun show is a great place to pick up odds and ends that you normally don't think about buying, or never want to pay shipping just to order that one item.

Guest reaper1880

gun show on the 15th and 16th in sevierville at the fair grounds . not a big show but few good deals can be found.

true t&t gives good price on there new firearms thatr are very very competitive even with what you find online before your ffl transfer fee. been there done that

:blink: good people, girls that work there are very easy on the eyes.....did I just say that? I mean, they are very friendly :lol:

Guest Smith653

I agree, T&T are great to deal with. I have bought taurus millenium pro, XDM9, Walther p22, GSG5 and my most recent from them, A Ruger SR22. they gave me a better deal than anyone at the gun shows in Knoxville, and will continue to deal with em. Great job T&T.

Guest Caveman
Ill be at the show this weekend looking for a new 9mm.

Are the usual suspects going to be there?

Mike, John, Mac Dustin ?

You forgot me, Suntzu, Seaslug and 70 below. How is it I have not met you, or have I? I have such a horrible memory...

Well, I was planning on being there, However I got invited to go camping up in VA this weekend, so unfortunetly I won't be there. Can't turn down a camping trip when it comes up. :D

Maybe I can make the next one.

You forgot me, Suntzu, Seaslug and 70 below. How is it I have not met you, or have I? I have such a horrible memory...

I have yet to meet you Caveman, or the other 2 you mentioned. But then again, I have only been on TGO for a few months.

Are you going to the show this weekend?