Restaurant carry Vetoed!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest david_g17

I called my state representative and senator. The staff who answered the phone clearly didn't know about the veto.

E-mailing doesn't hurt, but they may assume you are from out of state. When I called, they wanted my home address (probably to ask for donations, but also to verify I was a constituent).

Not happy one bit....think the way it was done was pretty low down, but overall I am satisfied this is simply a delay (there's that word again :P) and it will be law soon.

Back to my expecting fathers analogy.....false labor guys....come back a bit later. :)

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Friends, just keep all of this in mind later in life if/when Bredesen surfaces on the Federal scene running for something. the man is a 100% hard core politician who knows how to play the game and doesn't care about what the people really want. He only wants power.

Guest david_g17
Well crap. So we do have enough supporters that the veto doesnt matter right?

The question is time. Do we have time before the end of the session.

For this reason, I cannot sign this measure into law.

I'm well aware of the number of votes this matter gathered in the General Assembly, but as you consider this veto, I again respectfully urge the legislature to rethink this issue.

So if you cannot sign it into law but know it will be over ridden why not just let it pass into law without your signature?

SpunkMonkey!!!

Guest benchpresspower

i guess Obama is grinning from ear to ear. it wouldn't surprise me if he made a spot for Bredesen in his administration one day.

I found Bredesen's reasoning that stricter laws preserved our rights amusing and absurd. It's the equivalent of me saying that a law against freedom of speech makes it stronger. What an idiot. How do you expand and retain rights by diminishing and taking them away?

Governor vetoes Tenn. guns-in-bars bill | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Governor vetoes Tenn. guns-in-bars bill

Gov. Phil Bredesen on Tuesday vetoed a renewed effort to allow Tennessee handgun carry permit holders to bring their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

The Democratic governor said in a letter to Republican Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey of Blountville that he based his decision on a principle he learned more than 50 years ago in a safety course sponsored by the National Rifle Association: "Guns and alcohol don't mix."

The NRA has been a vocal supporter of the guns in bars measure passed in Tennessee the last two years.

Bredesen vetoed a similar measure last year, flanked by law enforcement officers and prosecutors who opposed the bill, but he was easily overridden by the Legislature. It only takes a simple majority in both chambers to turn back a veto.

"The General Assembly has essentially re-passed last year's legislation in an even more expansive and dangerous form," Bredesen said in the letter. "For this reason, I cannot sign this measure into law."

Ramsey, who is running for governor, said he expects the Senate to vote to override the veto next week.

"We overrode the veto once, I'm sure we can do it again," Ramsey said. "This is much ado about nothing."

Democratic Sen. Beverly Marrero of Memphis said she supports the governor's veto.

"The majority of people in this state really don't want people in bars with guns," she said. "Unfortunately there's a large group of people up here that will probably override the governor's veto."

Last year's version sought to exclude establishments that predominantly serve alcohol, but a Nashville judge declared the law "unconstitutionally vague" because Tennessee makes no legal distinction between bars and restaurants.

This year's bill makes no exclusions for where guns can be carried, as long as permit holders don't consume alcohol.

Ramsey disputed Bredesen's claim that the new measure is more dangerous.

"I disagree 100 percent," Ramsey said. "I don't understand why he would even say that."

The measure would apply to the state's 270,000 handgun carry permit holders. Bar and restaurant owners would maintain the power to ban all weapons from their establishments.

The governor acknowledged that the "number of votes this matter gathered" makes it unlikely the veto will stand. The House passed the bill 66-31, while the Senate approved it by a 23-9 margin.

"But as you consider this veto, I again respectfully urge the legislature to rethink this issue," Bredesen said.

Again with the 'guns and alcohol don't mix' bullcrap. I'd say that hitting someone with a Class A misdemeanor as well as the possibility of losing their HCP for three years pretty well sends the message that the legislature has no intention of legalizing the mixture of guns and booze.

Oh, and he excercises his Second Amendment rights by hunting, etc. What a scheisskopf. I sure as hell hope the NRA are revising that 'A' rating in case the bastich does decide to run for anything else, ever.

I understand the frustration with the Governor...but not really the legislature. Don't forget...they are the ones that will override the veto.

I really don't think the "We'll fix this in January" statement, meant they would make it legal again in January, but that they would address it when the legislature was back in session in January. Which, they did.

If the end goal is to have restaurant carry...then Yes, it appears we have nothing to worry about as this will be easily overridden next week.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Well, it finally made the local news..

Governor Vetoes Tennessee Bill To Allow Guns In Bars - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Governor Vetoes Tennessee Bill To Allow Guns In Bars

Posted: May 18, 2010 3:09 PM CDT Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:09 PM EST

12502575_BG1.jpg

(AP) NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Gov. Phil Bredesen for the second year in a row has vetoed a bill to allow Tennessee handgun permit holders to bring their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

The Democratic governor said in a letter to Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey of Blountville that he based his decision on the principle that "guns and alcohol don't mix."

Bredesen vetoed a similar measure last year, flanked by law enforcement officers and prosecutors who opposed the bill, but he was easily overridden by the Legislature. It only takes a simple majority in both chambers to turn back a veto.

The law was later declared unconstitutionally vague, so lawmakers this year passed a new version.

Guest thorn

"The governor acknowledged that the "number of votes this matter gathered" makes it unlikely the veto will stand. The House passed the bill 66-31, while the Senate approved it by a 23-9 margin."

"But as you consider this veto, I again respectfully urge the legislature to rethink this issue," Bredesen said.

So he arrogantly wastes time and money on the premise that he somehow knows what is while it's already known and practiced in other states proving that it is not. Idiot at best.

i guess Obama is grinning from ear to ear. it wouldn't surprise me if he made a spot for Bredesen in his administration one day.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Bredesen covets a spot in the Obasm...and, apparently, he's getting considerable attention as a possible to head Health and Human Services. So he had liittle choice but to take the action he felt would most endear him to the Obamanation...he cares not one iota for the people of Tennessee, or for anyone's rights on any topic. He is a political animal through and through, and he did the politically motivated thing to do.

While I don't think Sen. Jackson is wired this way, I would so dearly love to hear him resurrect Rep. Todd's "I'll tell him (Bredesen) what he can do with this piece of paper (the veto letter)" as said on the floor of the House during last year's override in the House. And, soon, he'll have two pieces of paper - one with which to wipe each cheek.

Frankly, China can keep him...but even they would likely get sick of the foul taste he'd leave in their mouths.