Tennessee Senate Overrides Restaurant Carry Veto

Guest (BH)
If this suit gets filed, I'm going to stop tipping in restaurants. I suggest everyone do the same.
No offense, but just stay home. I'm a server who can't wait to be able to carry at work. Whether or not you agree with someone's politics, don't go in an have them do work for you under the expectation of a tip, only to stiff them after the fact.

How would you possibly know who "deserves" to be stiffed?

I carry, and I also feed my wife and child and pay for college with my tips. Would you want to advise people to stiff me?

I agree these people are stupid, but I doubt it's a large enough percentage of servers to merit mass stiffing.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stovepipe
Maybe NewsChannel5 wasn't so far off after all? From today's Tennessean...

If this suit gets filed, I'm going to stop tipping in restaurants. I suggest everyone do the same.

We should print and leave cards that read:

"Here's your tip: Don't mess with Handgun Carry Permit Holders."

Guest HexHead

Wonder who these serevers work for...... I'll give you 3 guesses and 2 don't count. At least that would be my bet. I don't actually know this.

The article specifically said they worked at restaurants that didn't plan to post. I can't believe Rayburn's not going to post his dumps? Nobody is that big a hypocrite.

Guest HexHead
No offense, but just stay home. I'm a server who can't wait to be able to carry at work. Whether or not you agree with someone's politics, don't go in an have them do work for you under the expectation of a tip, only to stiff them after the fact.

How would you possibly know who "deserves" to be stiffed?

I carry, and I also feed my wife and child and pay for college with my tips. Would you want to advise people to stiff me?

I agree these people are stupid, but I doubt it's a large enough percentage of servers to merit mass stiffing.

That's the whole point. We don't know. So if we stiff all waiters and waitresses, it will cause a big enough stink for these asshats to back off.

So to answer your question, sorry, but you'll just be collateral damage. Pick up the phone and complain to Rayburn and his ******* mouthpiece.

I now have transcribed both Senator Jackson's wonderful speech and the amazingly brilliant and obviously well thought out response by Senator Marrerro (aka crazy hat lady--and I don't mean the hat is crazy. :blush: Also now removing tongue from cheek). I would be happy to post them here if anyone wants them.

Yes. please post!

Guest HexHead
that suit will go no place, no point in stiffing my server.

Like I said, only if it's actually filed. Trying to second guess what a judge might do is how we ended up with the last bill becoming void. IF he files the suit, it's time to get nasty to put pressure on him and the plaintiffs to drop the suit.

Surely they don't want to see their brother servers suffering? HAHAHAHA

You can co-opt a few to file suit to show standing, remember last year in the Bonnyman debacle, it was the HCP holders who joined the suit that gave the impetuous for her to rule as she did.

This one can get filed, but it will not hold up.

Like I said, only if it's actually filed. Trying to second guess what a judge might do is how we ended up with the last bill becoming void. IF he files the suit, it's time to get nasty to put pressure on him and the plaintiffs to drop the suit.

Surely they don't want to see their brother servers suffering? HAHAHAHA

If it is filed, I don't think servers getting low/no tips would make them withdraw it. Just a little to far in at that point for a stunt to make them change their minds.

Besides the only way that targeting the serves like that can be effective is if you let them know why you are doing it. Also only really if you can some how target the ones that filed the suit. I don't think there is state-wide restaurant server network where the could spread the word. Also if the ones that are filing the suit actually feel that strong, I doubt what anyone else (fellow server or not) tells them is going to make them change their mind.

If you do thin and let them know then in the long run I think you are you more of disservice to HCP holders than helping anything. Reacting like this would make is look more irrational and emotional than the anti-s....at least IMO.

Where have I heard that one before?

Well if you are talking about last years lawsuit....the reasons the lawsuit were first filed for where tossed. It wasn't till just before or maybe even during the hearing that the idea of void for vagueness came up.

Guest HexHead
Well if you are talking about last years lawsuit....the reasons the lawsuit were first filed for where tossed. It wasn't till just before or maybe even during the hearing that the idea of void for vagueness came up.

Nobody thought the vagueness issue would hold either.

Guest HexHead
If it is filed, I don't think servers getting low/no tips would make them withdraw it. Just a little to far in at that point for a stunt to make them change their minds.

Besides the only way that targeting the serves like that can be effective is if you let them know why you are doing it. Also only really if you can some how target the ones that filed the suit. I don't think there is state-wide restaurant server network where the could spread the word. Also if the ones that are filing the suit actually feel that strong, I doubt what anyone else (fellow server or not) tells them is going to make them change their mind.

If you do thin and let them know then in the long run I think you are you more of disservice to HCP holders than helping anything. Reacting like this would make is look more irrational and emotional than the anti-s....at least IMO.

Obviously I'm gonna disagree. And I didn't say low tips, I said NO TIPS. Sure, by all means let them know why and who they can pressure if they don't like it. Targeting the couple of servers named in the suit would be stupid, even if we knew who they were. You have to "motivate" a lot of people if you want to accomplish something, in this case bringing pressure on the plaintiffs.

I don't give a f*ck about what it makes us look like. We tried to play nice last year and got ****ed up the ass for it. I understand you have to toe the TGO "play nice" line as a moderator, but if we have to go to court again after this, the gloves need to come off. Do you really think the legislature is going to do guns in restaurants again next year if these assclowns are successful? Stop worrying so much about our ****ing image, we got the law, now we may need to fight to keep it.

Obviously I'm gonna disagree. And I didn't say low tips, I said NO TIPS. Sure, by all means let them know why and who they can pressure if they don't like it. Targeting the couple of servers named in the suit would be stupid, even if we knew who they were. You have to "motivate" a lot of people if you want to accomplish something, in this case bringing pressure on the plaintiffs.

I don't give a f*ck about what it makes us look like. We tried to play nice last year and got ****ed up the ass for it. I understand you have to toe the TGO "play nice" line as a moderator, but if we have to go to court again after this, the gloves need to come off. Do you really think the legislature is going to do guns in restaurants again next year if these assclowns are successful? Stop worrying so much about our ****ing image, we got the law, now we may need to fight to keep it.

If we don't know who the ones who filed are...how are the servers you stiff going to know who to pressure?

You suggested this last year and never got much support so don't see why you think you would this time....and surely not enough to make anyone feel anything.

If I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile I don't care what others think either. So I am not worried about my image.

I may be a mod, but I have my own opinions and that is what I was expressing..as far as I know Dave and the rest may be 100% behind you.

I'm all for fighting to keep it, that is why I went to Nashville last year and was in the courtroom during the hearing. That is why I contact members of the legislature, not only be easy e-mail but by phone.

So I am all for fighting to keep it (if need be, long ways from that point yet) but I don't think some hair-brained, half-baked idea of stiffing some poor kid that has nothing to do with any of is the battle I want to be a part of. But by all means....you can have at it.

Guest HexHead
If we don't know who the ones who filed are...how are the servers you stiff going to know who to pressure?

Leave them a note to contact attorney Smith's office for their tip.

You suggested this last year and never got much support so don't see why you think you would this time....and surely not enough to make anyone feel anything.

That was different. That was to boycott the restaurants for not supporting us.

This time, it's more targeted, not just an insignificant drop in business. The waitstaff will feel the pain more and be angrier. Especially on an expensive tab. Not just some piss ant $8 lunch. They will take out their frustration on the target we so happily obliged them with.

I may be a mod, but I have my own opinions and that is what I was expressing..as far as I know Dave and the rest may be 100% behind you.

HAHAHAHAHA. I'm waiting for his "thug tactics, part 2" thread.

Guest HexHead

Is this a "thug tactic" too? Sounds like what I'm proposing but on a grand scale....

If you can work a trip to the NRA Convention into your schedule, be sure to do so. For 2011, the Convention was originally scheduled to be in Pittsburg, however I just read that the city is currently considering an illegal ban on gun possession during the upcoming G-20 meeting, a move that is spurring NRA officials to ponder pulling their business out of the Steel City. This decision could have a multi-million dollar impact on the local economy and disappoint tens of thousands of regional gun owners. However, the move is not unprecedented. It's happened before. We'll just have to wait to see how this plays out.
Guest (BH)

Ok, so you want to stiff only in the restaurants that don't post eh? You want to stiff people like me who have talked at great lengths with their employers and have successfully teetered the fence sitters into not posting.

It's obvious that you have never worked as a server, and you have some skewed idea about a given server's relationship to other servers. The only thing your plan will get you is poor service if you return to these establishments.

Aside from the flawed logic of your little boycott attempt, I'd like to point out that not tipping is really just downright immoral.

When you enter a restaurant, you enter into an unspoken agreement with those who serve you. They are serving you with the understanding that you will be compensating them for their efforts. Sure, there is no prior negotiation as there in other situations involving labor compensation, but once someone does work for you, is it not appropriate to compensate them?

Servers are not payed by our bosses, we are payed by you. Almost all of us make $2.13/hr (most of which is gone to taxes), and we didn't create the "tips+crap hourly wages" system. We are just some folks trying get by. If you aren't going to tip, then don't eat out.

You wouldn't invite a kid from your neighborhood to mow your lawn then refuse to pay him because you have a problem with the kid who mows your brother's lawn. It's really not much different.

I guess you might fall under the "if you don't like it, get another job" umbrella, but serving is about the only job I can work while in school and still be able to see my wife and child.

Edited by (BH)
...you have some skewed idea about a given server's relationship to other servers.

You wouldn't invite a kid from your neighborhood to mow your lawn then refuse to pay him because you have a problem the kid who mows your brother's lawn. It's really not much different.

Well said!!

The article specifically said they worked at restaurants that didn't plan to post. I can't believe Rayburn's not going to post his dumps? Nobody is that big a hypocrite.

I bet Rayburn's group convinced a few servers from other restaurants that don't plan to post to join his cause. My guess is that him and his lawyers are still the driving force behind this.

That was different. That was to boycott the restaurants for not supporting us.

This time, it's more targeted, not just an insignificant drop in business. The waitstaff will feel the pain more and be angrier. Especially on an expensive tab. Not just some piss ant $8 lunch. They will take out their frustration on the target we so happily obliged them with.

I have entered a restaurant that serves alcohol maybe 3-4 times in the last year since the previous law was stricken down (disarmed of course). That was because I am always carrying, but I guess it was/is an indirect boycott. However, I don't think it would accomplish anything to penalize an innocent server by not leaving a tip. I would rather focus on the trouble makers. "Collateral damage" is not an option, IMHO.

Edited by Batman
Guest HexHead

See, you're proving my point. You're getting angry at just the thought of it. If this jackass attorney's office gets hundreds of phone calls from servers asking (or better yet, demanding) him to back off because they don't support what he's doing, it might make a difference?

I haven't seen anyone with another idea, much less a better one.

Just waiting around to see what happens and taking it up the ass again

doesn't sound appealing.

Ok, so you want to stiff only in the restaurants that don't post eh? You want to stiff people like me who have talked at great lengths with their employers and have successfully teetered the fence sitters into not posting.

It's obvious that you have never worked as a server, and you have some skewed idea about a given server's relationship to other servers. The only thing your plan will get you is poor service if you return to these establishments.

Aside from the flawed logic of your little boycott attempt, I'd like to point out that not tipping is really just downright immoral.

When you enter a restaurant, you enter into an unspoken agreement with those who serve you. They are serving you with the understanding that you will be compensating them for their efforts. Sure, there is no prior negotiation as there in other situations involving labor compensation, but once someone does work for you, is it not appropriate to compensate them?

Servers are not payed by our bosses, we are payed by you. Almost all of us make $2.13/hr (most of which is gone to taxes), and we didn't create the "tips+crap hourly wages" system. We are just some folks trying get by. If you aren't going to tip, then don't eat out.

You wouldn't invite a kid from your neighborhood to mow your lawn then refuse to pay him because you have a problem with the kid who mows your brother's lawn. It's really not much different.

I guess you might fall under the "if you don't like it, get another job" umbrella, but serving is about the only job I can work while in school and still be able to see my wife and child.