Who has a FN PS90 SBR?

Guest bwhited

Guest bwhited

Who here has a FN PS90 SBR that they did the Form 1 on? I am going to do a PS90 SBR but would like to know if anyone around here has someone local that has changed the barrels out or can give any advise on doing it yourself...

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bwhited

Ask him if he purchased the gun already as a SBR or if he had someone local change the barrel out for him??? I would like to find someone who has experience with this barrel change. Seems like a big pain.

Guest bwhited

Yeah. Those were the exact instructions I have been looking at. Would you mind asking him if he had any problems during the process? And if you don't mind ask him what he found to be the most difficult part.

Thanks!

I've done this and the biggest recommendation I can make is don't even bother with trying to drill out the blind pin.

I just used a chop-saw to cut through the entire barrel and shroud just about 1/2" below the blind pin (ie, closer to the receiver than the muzzle). You're going to have TROS or whoever cut another several inches off anyway so why bother trying to make it neat, just hack through the whole danged thing and you won't even have to worry about unscrewing it, it just falls off if you cut far enough back.

You'll still need to grind/thin down a wrench to tighten the new barrel on but that only took a few minutes with a grinding disk.

Honestly the hardest part is just filling out all the paperwork, waiting on approval, getting the engraving done, shipping the barrel around (if you buy the CMMG SBR barrel you can avoid this but then you've got an extra half-chopped barrel you don't need), etc etc. It is a good opportunity to learn about Form 1's and NFA paperwork though.

Also be sure to use the dowel trick to keep all the pieces together if you do it yourself.

It's pretty simple really, the instructions on AR15.com make it look harder than it is (in my opinion).

Guest drv2fst

OK, stupid question time. Would it work to just cut and crown/thread the existing barrel once you have your paperwork back? Or is the twist different or something else that makes that a bad idea?

Guest bwhited
I've done this and the biggest recommendation I can make is don't even bother with trying to drill out the blind pin.

I just used a chop-saw to cut through the entire barrel and shroud just about 1/2" below the blind pin (ie, closer to the receiver than the muzzle). You're going to have TROS or whoever cut another several inches off anyway so why bother trying to make it neat, just hack through the whole danged thing and you won't even have to worry about unscrewing it, it just falls off if you cut far enough back.

You'll still need to grind/thin down a wrench to tighten the new barrel on but that only took a few minutes with a grinding disk.

Honestly the hardest part is just filling out all the paperwork, waiting on approval, getting the engraving done, shipping the barrel around (if you buy the CMMG SBR barrel you can avoid this but then you've got an extra half-chopped barrel you don't need), etc etc. It is a good opportunity to learn about Form 1's and NFA paperwork though.

Also be sure to use the dowel trick to keep all the pieces together if you do it yourself.

It's pretty simple really, the instructions on AR15.com make it look harder than it is (in my opinion).

Thanks Keith. I have already purchased the new CMMG barrel just waiting on my Form 1 to get back. I had already done the Form 1 thing so the scary part to me I though would be changing out the barrel. But thanks again. I appreciate your info!

OK, stupid question time. Would it work to just cut and crown/thread the existing barrel once you have your paperwork back? Or is the twist different or something else that makes that a bad idea?

No that's what a lot of folks do, myself included.

Unless you can do it yourself or have a local connection that can (I can't and don't) there are several companies that will do this for you. I spent another $160 with TROS to have it cut, crowned and threaded 1/2x28 or if you don't feel like dealing with it you can buy a new one for $275 from CMMG and just be done with it.

The PS90 is a nice compact little gun when SBR'd, otherwise it's a little ridiculous looking with that long barrel sticking out in front. Kind of like a non-SBR UZI.

• 3 weeks later...

Magiccarpet:

I see no need to remove 2 to 4 inches from a PS90 and the FN fiveseven is only 6 inches shorter with a 6 inch barrel. The only difference would be a shoulder stock that the pistol configuration does not have and the pistol configuration at 24 inches or longer would be longer than removing 4 inches from a 26 inch PS90 so you would be breaking even with less control. I did put a new scope on the PS90 so we can test that next time.

• 5 months later...