Springer Precision Trigger job on XD-9 Tactical...

I had always wondered just how good an XD trigger could be made... last night I found out.

With a Springer Precision Trigger bar and Sear kit in hand I commenced to detail-strip my XD-9 Tactical and fit the trigger bar, which required significant filing and polishing. It is certainly a fitted part, since upon initial installation to check clearances, its range of motion only allowed 1/8" of trigger travel, and would obviously not have functioned at all if merely 'dropped in'. Careful adjustment allowed me to fine tune it's travel to be just enough for the trigger to reset and the trigger safety to engage, and rearward enough to engage the firing pin safety. The sear came polished already, and dropped in easily along with a lighter striker spring and sear spring. The sear has a very precise engagement on the striker, and with the trigger bar properly tuned, it has positive engagement but almost zero take-up or over-travel. It is the quintessential single-action trigger now, and feels about 3-3.5lb with less than 1/4" travel. The reset is phenominal... much better than any other striker-fired pistol I've ever touched, and reminiscent of a 1911 trigger with a slight initial take-up.

I am thoroughly wowed. Knowing that the XD I installed this in has not broken in yet at all, I'm looking forward to this setup getting even better as I shoot it more.

I'll post some pictures when I can, I intend to disassemble the pistol again to do some more polishing and clean out the internals before firing it. In the meantime, here is a thread which I used as my instructions: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43154

Also, with a mag-well on the way, and a few +5 magazine extensions & springs... this sucker is well on its way to becoming an awesome Open pistol.

Next up: Match barrel and recoil assembly, and of course sights.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha... Interesting.

I'd be interested to compare what difference (if any) the new parts make.

On xdtalk.com there was a thread that had pictures of the internal work done by springer. You can probably search over there.

As far as feel, early reviews were that it was not as great using the parts due to the fact that it was not hand fit. The small differences in tolerances of the guns made them a little different. Still makes it a great trigger though.

On xdtalk.com there was a thread that had pictures of the internal work done by springer. You can probably search over there.

As far as feel, early reviews were that it was not as great using the parts due to the fact that it was not hand fit. The small differences in tolerances of the guns made them a little different. Still makes it a great trigger though.

I suppose that using the parts is subjective, because they are indeed hand-fit... the trigger bar isn't, anyways. The quality of the job is limited to the care taken by the person installing it.

I'm no master gunsmith, but I haven't felt a trigger this good in a while... especially in a gun which has little more than $500 invested in it.

I suppose that using the parts is subjective, because they are indeed hand-fit... the trigger bar isn't, anyways. The quality of the job is limited to the care taken by the person installing it.

That's the only limit. It may even be possible to make it better - more personalized. I would think.

lets us know how she does.i was fix to order one of these for my xd and wondering how much fitting would haave to be done

If you know how to detail strip an XD and put it back together, and can operate a small file, you can do this. The only thing that takes awhile is the necessity for the gun to be reassembled and disassembled several times during the fitting of the trigger-bar. Mine took me about an hour. I'd be happy to sit down with somebody and help with theirs, if they try mine and decide to do the same.

I hope to shoot it sometime this weekend, and if I do I'll certainly post a followup review... but either way it will be at On-Target on the 19th with plenty of ammo.

I took some pictures last night... I'll put them up shortly.

Dremel... :rolleyes:

...be careful with it. These parts require very little material removal... I considered using my Dremel, myself, but once I saw how little material needed to be removed I wouldn't consider it, because the more material you remove, the closer the trigger pull will be to stock. I might use it to polish the contact points though, with a buffing wheel and some compound...

Eddie, you brought up a point that I'm curious about. While I'd like a more precise and repeatable trigger, I don't think I'd want to reduce the trigger pull on a carry weapon. It would be different for a target gun.

Do you know what the range of trigger pull is with this conversion?

Eddie, you brought up a point that I'm curious about. While I'd like a more precise and repeatable trigger, I don't think I'd want to reduce the trigger pull on a carry weapon. It would be different for a target gun.

Do you know what the range of trigger pull is with this conversion?

From the reviews I've seen by those who have a way to measure the weight of the trigger pull... this modification reduces the pull to approx 1/4" travel and 3-3.5 pounds.

I should note that I don't intend to carry the XD-9 Tactical, even though I honestly wouldn't have any qualms about doing so... I have not modified the XD-357 Service which I've been carrying for a few years other than to replace the guide rod/spring and the striker spring (with a heavier spring which has increased the pull weight a pound or two). I may eventually purchase a sear kit for the XD-357, but I will not install a trigger bar in it... I want the pull to remain long. My only intent would be to make it more crisp, but leave the heavy striker spring installed.

i used to not like gloves (not for doing things like this but regular gloves) but nomex gloves i have no problems with. I have some neoprene palmed with fleece that have the fold back index and thumbs i like for cold qualifying days but the army isnt too keen on gloves while shooting.