pistol caliber carbine?

Guest kdud03

ok so i really like the mac 11/9 fa which is way out of range right now. so i was wonderin about a pistol caliber carbine in something besides the ar. but if i did like a cobray mac sa or summon then to put a buttstock on it i have to sbr it or would a semi auto uzi be better? dont want no plastic stuff.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sterling 9mm:

CARI1615Xlg.jpg

No plastic

I had one of these in a civilian legal model and was tempted to buy one of these also:

v7gunwx_hero.jpg

They are available with either the stick or drum mag and sometimes both. I also saw the tommy in a pistol configuration.

Edited by Desert Rat

The sterling runs in the neighbor hood of 600 and the Thompson is between 800 and 1 K from what I have seen. I have the Sub 2000 in both 9 and 40 and they are fun to shoot, compact, and minimum plastic.

lXGsg8j6aJxcK1o5vdz5bbuDls0LRfIGR2y4_SD00EZ5DFwKvGQ1AJBPbnbKpPejBnb_h3Z_sWDU-GSO-Ta-OmPfnMf4ZtPGz4ktRzQgtvrfUp-nTY6iHwcK5hTNgJpZVJrJvjhZmW5jjEIoQHUU7EyZsw

If you look you can find prices between 350 and 400. If you are lucky at a gun show you might find a better deal. I found a 9 with the wrong magazine for 250. It took G17 mags but had a single stack that would not feed with it. I think the seller thought they were pulling something over on me. It shoots great with the proper mags. You can also use 31 round mags with them.

i think the ar with the 9mm conversion or the uzi looks to be best idea. if i get one i will prolly suppress it. i just cant decide on wut my next purchase will be. i mean by the time you sbr an suppress a 9mm ar you could almost get a full auto mac 11/9 an for 1k more or so could find one wit a lage slow fire an suppressor or summon.

kinda like this one with a suppresssor:

NFA Firearms Ads

no AR, no plastic = not much out there.

FWIW, the EMF JR Carbine ("Just Right Carbine") looks to be the one a lot of us have been waiting for as it takes Glock mags and AR add-ons and won't break the bank... jury's still out on whether they'll really run or not as they're brand new. Personally, I hope they do as the cost and complication to any of the current AR pistol caliber options, not to mention running crappy proprietary or Uzi mags just isn't worth it IMHO, YMMV.

Brownells just started selling dedicated 9mm lowers by CMMG. You do not need to buy the $180+ conversion mag block that is required when using a 223 lower. The dedicated lowers are less than $200 without the discount and a lot less with the discount. If you have no intention of ever using the lower for anything other than 9mm that would be the way to go. They use standard Colt style 9mm mags or modified UZI mags. The best mags to run in a 9mm AR are CProducts mags and can be had in 5, 10, 20 and 32 rounders.

CMMG : AR-15/M16 DEDICATED 9mm LOWER RECEIVER - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

As I said the blocks to convert a standard AR lower for 9mm use are $180+ depending on maker.

BROWNELLS : CAR-15/M4 9MM LOWER RECEIVER CONVERSION KIT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

YOU DO NOT NEED THESE WITH THE UPPER ABOVE!!!

My wife has a 9mm AR and it is the funnest gun to shoot. Because it is blowback the recoil impulse is about the same as a 223 making training cheaper. Her gun has at least 5,000 rounds thru it and other than a few HP's it doesn't like it has ran 100%.

Dolomite

wuts up dolomite? always helpin me out which i appreciate. i was thinkin about sbr'ing the lower so i would want a 5.56 lower just so i can switch it out if i decide to.

Question about this idea though... wut is the 9mm accurate to ? i mean at 100 is it gonna be decent ? with subsonics an a suppressor is it gonna be good for 100 to 150 yard shots?

i am thinking about getting rid of my 5.56 upper for a .45 suppressor an getting a 9mm short upper an sbrin my reciever that i already have??

wut length 9mm upper 10.5 or 7.5 ??

thanks to all for past an future help

wuts up dolomite? always helpin me out which i appreciate. i was thinkin about sbr'ing the lower so i would want a 5.56 lower just so i can switch it out if i decide to.

Question about this idea though... wut is the 9mm accurate to ? i mean at 100 is it gonna be decent ? with subsonics an a suppressor is it gonna be good for 100 to 150 yard shots? We haven't really shot my wife's past 50 yards but as long as you can figure drop I don't see why 100 or even 150 is out of the question. The accuracy depends on the quality of ammo more so than the gun. Hers will easily hold <1" at 25 yards so that should work out to <4" at 100. It might even be better but at longer distances the wind is a accuracy killer with pistol calibers like 9mm.

i am thinking about getting rid of my 5.56 upper for a .45 suppressor an getting a 9mm short upper an sbrin my reciever that i already have?? If you do decide to get rid of your 5.56 suppressor PM me the details and price, I might be interested. I have been on the fence of getting one for a while.

wut length 9mm upper 10.5 or 7.5 ?? I would keep it short to keep the chance of going supersonic to a minimum when shooting subsonics. My wife's gun is a 16" and it will push subsonics to supersonic levels. Suppressed is cool but even without a suppressor the 9mm is still comfortable to shoot without ears on.

I like the longer barrel for when I want to push the limit as far as velocity goes. I have loaded some lightweight bullets and definitely pushed the limit. I was told that according to calulations by a program called QuickShot the velocity should be over 2000 fps. I could have not gotten that velocity out of a short barrel. These were rifle only loads and would have turned any pistol into a hand grenade. I need to load some more and actually run them over a chrono to see what they actually do.

I have never owned one but a M-11 with the Lage upper has had nothing but great reveiws and seems like it would be fun as well. Even if it weren't a FA it would still make for a nice package. The cost of a M-11 with a Lage conversion would come in about the same as a complete 9mm AR.

MAX-11 Lage Mfg

thanks to all for past an future help

Dolomite

it is a 5.56 upper not a suppressor. thanks for your help .... i think it is now a tossup between mac 11 fa and ar 9mm. prolly the 9mm ar will win this bout. i dont need a full auto heck i like to aim not spray

anybody else with input? which block should i use? hahn looks like best idea so i can use uzi mags?

Edited by kdud03
added question
...Question about this idea though... wut is the 9mm accurate to ? i mean at 100 is it gonna be decent ? with subsonics an a suppressor is it gonna be good for 100 to 150 yard shots? ..

Here's a general idea ... I've been shooting my mighty Hi-Point 9mm carbine at 122.5 yards. Really, that's the exact distance to the "100 yard" stand at Norris Range.

Just the fat iron sights, elbow on bench, no prob with all in torso target rings, with 115 grain range ammo. Negligible drop at that distance compared to 50 yard sight in. Should be a few inches, but can't tell the diff with just the fat iron sights. Dunno how good it might do with an optic on it and on pod.

So this is to say you might be really surprised at the accuracy through a quality weapon with good optics.

But sure, much wind and it's gonna significantly affect 9mm leaving muzzle at maybe max 1500 fps compared to 3000+ of .223.

And my Marlin .357 lever gun does about the same, with iron sights.

- OS

thnks for the replies guys. lever action is out of my style. i am a semi auto kinda guy. except my ruger gp100 which will be here even if the glocks have to go. love that thing. anyways i am thinkin this for the setup.....

sbr lower, 7.5 9mm pistol kit, gemtech multimount, red dot, 10 inch free float hand guards.... wut yall think?

Check out Olympic Arms. .45 AR if your getting a .45 supressor. You can get the entire AR or just the upper. The upper comes with a magazine thru Midway with a good price. I really like the pistol caliber carbines. I started with the BerettaCX4. Yea it's plastic (like a Glock) but compact like a bullpup and I share ammo with my 1911. Just a thunk.

Mech-tech? Use two guns to make one? I must be missing something.

Edited by flyanything