I'm being drawn to single action wheel guns.

Will Carry

I have recently been leaving my semi-automatics at home when I go to the range. Revolvers seem to be more rewarding to shoot lately. I seem to concenrate better when I know I only have 5 or 6 shoots, so I take my time and end up shooting less ammo. My prefered method of shooting is single action. I have two Ruger Single Sixes that I love to shoot, but the holes it makes in the paper is hard to see. I want a single action pistol that makes big holes. Anyone have any experiance with single action pistols? I'm seriously thinking of trading in my new Glock 36 for a Ruger Bisley Vaqaruo in .357.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently been leaving my semi-automatics at home when I go to the range. Revolvers seem to be more rewarding to shoot lately. I seem to concenrate better when I know I only have 5 or 6 shoots, so I take my time and end up shooting less ammo. My prefered method of shooting is single action. I have two Ruger Single Sixes that I love to shoot, but the holes it makes in the paper is hard to see. I want a single action pistol that makes big holes. Anyone have any experiance with single action pistols? I'm seriously thinking of trading in my new Glock 36 for a Ruger Bisley Vaqaruo in .357.

I have Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible.

The extra cylinder model isn't much more than single caliber model, and sure makes it more versatile.

It certainly competes as my favorite handgun, but don't tell the others.

blackhawk.jpg

- OS

45 LC or 44 mag Rugers will put a big hole in paper or far a larger hole:

TaurusJudge.gif

Shoot 000 buck or a slug. The Judge can be shot single action. Taurus also makes single action pistols but my favorite was a Ruger 44 mag in the 70s. It would even shoot through cardboard. :poop:

Like the one in the previous post!!!!!! Get a 6 inch barrel it controls the recoil better in whatever caliber you shoot.

Edited by Desert Rat

Will:____________

Welcome to the wonderful world of single actions!! They are a great thing. They were the first US Military sidearm (...outside the single shot horse pistols...).

Every pistol man needs to own and shoot a single action revolver. You will enjoy your single action 357. We have them in a bunch of calibers from 357 up thru 44 mag. They are all great. More than that, they are addictive, the more you shoot; the more calibers you will like. They also love cast bullets, so there is a reason to reload!! They are a great thing!!

RE: Bisley. We have a couple in 45 colt. They handle and shoot great. If you have big hands, they feel better than the old time "plow handle" models.

There are two potential aggravations with the ruger single actions (...the new models, with the transfer bar...). The first is a 'heavy" trigger pull. The cure for it is to take the grip panels off and you will see the trigger return spring that hangs over a protruding pin. (...one leg under each panel, that is, on either side...). Just take one of the spring legs off the pin. That will ease the trigger pull and not hurt anything (...do a search on "Gunblast" and you can find pictures, i think...).

The second is that from time to time the basepin may try to back out if you use heavy loads due to the light cross pin spring (...the little thingy you push in to pull the basepin to remove the cylinder for cleaning...). That is no problem either, as you can order a heavier basepin spring from Brownells and put it in in about 2 minutes. We usually replace the basepins too. We use the Belt Mountain pins that can be ordered from Brownells. They are the best for the "hard kickers' as you can get them with a set screw to lock the pin in so it wont move. The cost is about $27.00 or so as i remember. (...Brownell's link here: BELT MOUNTAIN : SINGLE ACTION REVOLVER REPLACEMENT BASE PINS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools. ....).

Here is another great source of info on the ruger single actions: Ruger Forum | Ruger Forum for Ruger Guns and Firearms ... A third great resource is any of your buddies that are CAS shooters. They are all Ruger guys for the most part.

Lastly, you will need some leather to carry that 'peacemaker' in. We like El Paso Saddlery (....link here: El Paso Saddlery - Holsters. Bob Mernickle makes some great stuff too (...link here: MERNICKLE HOLSTERS. ).. Be sure to check out their "concealment" SA holsters. We have ordered from both; they are very high quality.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

I love single action revolvers. My .357 New Vaquero may be my most accurate handgun. I have always wanted to own what I would consider to be the big 3 SA revolvers- the Colt Single Action Army, the 1875 Remington(aka Outlaw), and the S&W Model 3(aka Schofield). Of course it's highly unlikely that I would ever be able to afford originals, but I'm looking to add some replicas in the future. The Colt Peacemaker .22 is way up my list of must have guns too, they are just really hard to find. New Frontiers are pretty common, but adjustable sights just don't belong on single action revolvers(no offense Blackhawk fans, JMO).

...but adjustable sights just don't belong on single action revolvers(no offense Blackhawk fans, JMO).

Have to admit if I'd had the choice, would have not gotten adjustable rear sight on mine, but it's the only way the .357/9mm convertible model is offered.

- OS

I have to admit, my single action .22LR / .22 Magnum revolver is my favorite range gun... it goes with me nearly every single time, and never fails to put a smile on my face. Next, I want to get a matching .357 magnum... you know, so it will have some company... :poop:

I love single action revolvers. My .357 New Vaquero may be my most accurate handgun. I have always wanted to own what I would consider to be the big 3 SA revolvers- the Colt Single Action Army, the 1875 Remington(aka Outlaw), and the S&W Model 3(aka Schofield). Of course it's highly unlikely that I would ever be able to afford originals, but I'm looking to add some replicas in the future. The Colt Peacemaker .22 is way up my list of must have guns too, they are just really hard to find. New Frontiers are pretty common, but adjustable sights just don't belong on single action revolvers(no offense Blackhawk fans, JMO).

I think Cimmaron makes a Schofield replica. They've got some nice lookers.

I think Cimmaron makes a Schofield replica. They've got some nice lookers.
Sure do. They make an 1875 Remington replica too. I believe that Cimarrons guns are made for them by Uberti. When I get to that part of my wishlist, a 9mm 1911 is next on the list, I'll probably go with a Cimarron 1875 Remington replica in .357 Mag. I've always been a fan of the 1875s unique look and overbuilt design.

I guess you could say that I like single action revolvers, I've got eight I think. As for the big holes a pair of those Ruger convertibles, the .357/9mm, and a 45colt/.45acp., then the .41 mag. Black Hawk and last but not least a SBH.44 mag. I like the Rugers too, if couldn't tell, for little holes I've got a pair of single sixes.

i love SA as well, i would stay away from the bisleys. i have an original in 38-40, great piece of history but not as comfortable to hold as the standard SA. for me, my ruger super blackhawk in 44mag is more comfortable to shoot then the bisley, the grips just feel weird. but get whatever feels best for you. you could buy my bisley for the right price :tinfoil:

i love SA as well, i would stay away from the bisleys. i have an original in 38-40, great piece of history but not as comfortable to hold as the standard SA. for me, my ruger super blackhawk in 44mag is more comfortable to shoot then the bisley, the grips just feel weird. but get whatever feels best for you. you could buy my bisley for the right price :)

That's interesting because I find the Bisley much more comfortable and more natural pointing than the standard SA's. To each his own I guess, that's why they have choices.

Although my first handgun purchase was a Glock 19, the "cowboy gun" came second and I take it to the range every time! Mine is the Heritage Rough Rider 45 Colt. Here she is in the 5.5" nickel. It's a ton of fun!Heritage45LC.jpg

Now I'm wanting to go grab all the ones that the rest of y'all have been mentioning!;)

• 1 year later...
Guest lostpass

The extra cylinder model isn't much more than single caliber model, and sure makes it more versatile.

blackhawk.jpg

- OS

having fired this tool I can attest that there is something about wheel guns, or at least this one. Out of the handguns I've actually fired, it is the best. No question at all.

blackhawk.jpg

- OS

I have a 6.5" blued Blackhawk in 357/9mm and it is my most accurate handgun. My favorite though is the 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45colt/45acp. If you reload go with a 6.5" Blackhawk in the 45colt/45 acp. If you do not reload go with the 357/9mm. The ablity to shoot 357 and cheaper 38sp and 9mm makes it a very versitle plinker

• 2 weeks later...

bisley is hard to find grips for, I wish mine were NOT. I shoot a 44 blackhawk and 357, both are excellent, the 357 is one of the first ones they made I think, 3 screw model. What I love about them are the triggers, so perfect. Makes me want to throw most of my semi autos in the trash, even makes my 1911s seem sloppy.

I love the interest in the single actions!! Keep up the good work!!. Ya can't do better than the Ruger Single Actions. You can spend more money; but you simply cant find a better revolver. You guys need to get started reloading so you can really enjoy shooting the single actions with good lead bullets. Your ammo will beat any factory loadings hands down and allow you all to shoot a bunch more for the dollars invested. Tell santa to bring some reloading stuff so you all can get to work. By the way, i think (...i aint sure...) that the first centerfire revolver Bill Ruger built was a flattop 357.

leroy