Optic choice for home defense purposes on and FN SCAR

Hello everyone!

I need some expert advice...since I likely won't get that, I'll settle for opinions! :)

I have a SCAR; primary use for (other than the fun of taking it out and shooting it at the range) is for home defense purposes (and with that I'm assuming such a need to use it would most likely be at night in a low or no light condition). In other words, I would most likely be dealing with distances of 15-20 feet in most cases.

I have a Sig front grip with an integrated tactical light which aside from the very bright steady light also has a strobe feature so I have plenty of blinding white light available!

I'm thinking that a red-dot setup might would work best but I'm really undecided about it. Actually...I'm wondering if I need an optic at all as I'm (or at least the rifle) is pretty accurate with just the iron sights (I usually shoot at either 50 or 100 yards).

I've never used a red-dot sight before...in fact, although I've shot quite a few different rifles over the years, my SCAR is the first rifle I've ever owned personally and I've virtually no experience with modern optics for a rifle like this.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter and for the sake of discussion; I would want to spend less than $1K and hopefully keep the cost in the $500-600 range.

Thanks!!!

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aimpoint. You can leave them on always and not have to worry about the batteries. I replace my batteries once a year but aim point says they will go for 3-5 years on one.

They fit your budget and they make several different models to fit your preferences.

I have a CompM4s and a micro t1. Both are fantastic.

Mike

In this pricerange, Eotech, batteries last a long time. Mine uses only AA batteries any, so they are cheap and plentiful.

For more $$$ nothing beats ACOG. Many of their models have dual illumination and never need batteries. They have a range of magnifications. Many offer their BAC technology so you can make use of low magnification when you need it but ignore the magnification when you don't need it. It's the best optic concept I have seen. But it cost more. They can be found for $800 new. Should be cheaper used. I would make sure to get the dual illumination models if you go this route.

I have Eotech, Leupold, and Acog here at the house. You can check them out this weekend if you want.

Oh, and +1 on the Aimpoint suggestion. I have never used one but have heard nothing but the best about them. I think certain models have the super long battery life feature.

Edited by drv2fst
In this pricerange, Eotech, batteries last a long time. Mine uses only AA batteries any, so they are cheap and plentiful.

For more $$$ nothing beats ACOG. Many of their models have dual illumination and never need batteries. They have a range of magnifications. Many offer their BAC technology so you can make use of low magnification when you need it but ignore the magnification when you don't need it. It's the best optic concept I have seen. But it cost more. They can be found for $800 new. Should be cheaper used. I would make sure to get the dual illumination models if you go this route.

I have Eotech, Leupold, and Acog here at the house. You can check them out this weekend if you want.

Oh, and +1 on the Aimpoint suggestion. I have never used one but have heard nothing but the best about them. I think certain models have the super long battery life feature.

Thanks for the info...I'll take you op on looking at you supply this weekend!

I've always been sort of partial to Trijicon products but very willing to look at other options as well...although I've never used them I've heard nothing but good about Aimpoint and Eotech.

Aimpoint. You can leave them on always and not have to worry about the batteries. I replace my batteries once a year but aim point says they will go for 3-5 years on one.

They fit your budget and they make several different models to fit your preferences.

I have a CompM4s and a micro t1. Both are fantastic.

Aimpoint is definitely on my short list of ones to check out!

For home defense an ACOG or magnifier would be a little out of place. There would be very little need for a magnified view of things at home defense ranges. Especially since the given range is around 20 ft.

Mike

Yeah, you're right about that. I have my AK-74 with iron sights out for home defense ranges. You're supposed to be able to use the ACOG with both eyes open for close quarters stuff but I haven't really practiced that.

Robert, I have a SCAR too. For HD I use the Surefire M6x Light/Laser. At the ranges you're talking about, it's going to be snap shooting, so anykind of sight is going to be redundant. Just have your light/laser dailed into your POI at 20-25 yards and you're set. MY .02

• 3 weeks later...

I have been very happy with my Eotech. It really does make target acquisition very fast. Takes me a few seconds to get it turned on though which might make it a little slow for a SHTF senario. If you keep it on you will run through batteries. I think the battery life for the N battey models is 1000 continuous hours.

Aimpoint is horrible for low light just woke up home defense I would highly suggest not going this route. Its still a tubed optic so your field of view is pretty much **** while looking through it and could become quite a problem if you have just jumped out of bed and started trying to defend your home I would go with an Eotech if I had any plans on using the optic at night in close quarters. In all actuallity I would buy a Mossberg 500,590,930,Remi 870 Tac,1100 Tac for home defense these are all within your price range and will more than likley be way more useful in a home invasion situation than a SCAR just my 2 cents though.

Aimpoint is horrible for low light just woke up home defense I would highly suggest not going this route. Its still a tubed optic so your field of view is pretty much **** while looking through it and could become quite a problem if you have just jumped out of bed and started trying to defend your home I would go with an Eotech if I had any plans on using the optic at night in close quarters. In all actuallity I would buy a Mossberg 500,590,930,Remi 870 Tac,1100 Tac for home defense these are all within your price range and will more than likley be way more useful in a home invasion situation than a SCAR just my 2 cents though.

I probably should have come back to this thread to let everyone know what I ended up doing...I ended up purchasing a EOTech 512...haven't even mounted (let alone zeroed) it yet but will do so soon. I'm thinking that eventually, if I want magnification I can add the magnifier and sort of have the best of both worlds. :)

As far as shotguns go, I have a 12ga Benelli Super Nova Tactical but I disagree with it's use as opposed to a .223 (SCAR, AR15, etc) because of over penetration issues. I've seen tests using both water jugs and then several walls of dry-wall with the "outside wall" covered with siding where many different calibers of weapons were tested including 38, 9MM, 40S&W, 45ACP (all using hollow point/personal defense ammo) then 12 ga using buckshot and then an AR using 556/223 with personal defense ammo...the only one that didn't over penetrate was the AR (it went through one wall but the bullet disintegrated within the second wall rendering it pretty much harmless.

I've also been told by more than one firearms instructor that many law enforcement agencies are switching out their shotguns for ARs for because of the lower risk of over penetration.

I suppose that for those who live well out in the country and/or have exterior walls that you can depend on to stop a round it's not something you have to worry about that much but for me, I live in a suburb and only parts of the front wall of the house has brick on it so I do worry about what happens to a round if I miss my target (or even hit it for that matter)...I'm not saying I won't use one of my 45s or my 12ga but if I can get to it I do think my SCAR is the better choice! :panic:

I need to ask you why you think an aimpoint is horrible for low light.

It is a "tubed optic" but you don't really look "through" these types of sights. You are supposed to use these with both eyes open increasing your feild of view over an irons setup where you are trying to bring multiple focal planes into focus.

Guest jimdigriz

I'll have to disagree. The tube matters not one whit when using the optic as intended, with both eyes open. The EOTech can't stay on ALL the time, which is why it is an inferior choice for this application. It also doesn't turn back on to the last brightness level. When the bad guy busts in during the night, who wants to have to take time to turn on their optic and adjust the brightness level? Now, if I know I'm going into battle and have time to prepare, I might choose the EOTech, but for home defense, no way.

I would think that turning the EOTech "on" is simply a part of training myself to be prepared isn't it? I mean...I also have a SIG front grip (Stoplight STL300J) with has an integrated tactical light and laser; both of which have to be turned on to function as would any tactical light or laser.

I agree that not having to worry about turning something on is a nice feature because in an emergency situation time is always precious, but I'm not sure the need to turn the EOTech on is an issue that would preclude it as the right choice for my application.

More importantly, I looked at the Aimpoint and just didn't feel as comfortable with it...the EOTech seems a lot easier to get used to using. :)