which .22 suppressor for Walther P22?

which 22 suppressor  

32 members have voted

1. 1. which 22 suppressor

looking to get my first suppressor for a .22 initially to be used on a 3.4" Walther P22. Ones I've been ogling over are the YHM Mite or the Silencerco Sparrow. Want whatever I get to disassemble easy and although I doubt i'd get a full auto it would make sense for it to handle full auto just incase (never thought i'd actually buy a suppressor either!) May want to eventually attach to a 10/22 too if that makes a difference. Just wondered if anybody had personal experience or input as it's hard to find good unbiased information out there. I know the Sparrow may be in a different price range but for the little difference I'd rather do it if it's quieter and better built.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a GemTech Outback. I cannot praise their customer support enough! They have always been attentive and ready to answer my questions. The few problems others have had were resolved in a quick, efficient manner with as little hassle for the customer as possible.

I'm in the market for a suppressor as well. Have you checked out the silencerresearch.com site? It has a lot of great reviews on cans for 22 up to .50bmg. The paid service is well worth the $30 in my opinion. The liberty shoofly gets a great review over there.

• Moderators

Considering how dirty .22lr is, what is the level of user serviceability of the suppressors you are looking at? The cost and time associated with having the manufacturer service the suppressor should be factored into the the cost.

Pardon the stupid question . . .my wife wants a P-22 but if we get one I'm going to want to get a suppressor also one day for it. So, do you also need to buy a replacement barrel (threaded) or is there another way?

Pardon the stupid question . . .my wife wants a P-22 but if we get one I'm going to want to get a suppressor also one day for it. So, do you also need to buy a replacement barrel (threaded) or is there another way?

Walther P22 pistols already come with a threaded barrel, so, no need for a replacement barrel. You will need to purchase a thread adapter to match the 1/2 x 28 thread pitch of a .22 suppressor.

Guest IceBreakerG

I have a YHM Mite suppressor on my P22, and while it's not the quietest can out there, it works very well if you use subsonic ammo. The Mite suppressor comes with a tool that you can use to take it apart for cleaning, so that definitely helps.

To Tiny G, the P22 uses a barrel adapter to put the suppressor on it. The entire barrel assembly comes apart though (it's hard to explain without you seeing it). But basically, you just need one of these to thread the suppressor to:

WALTHER P22 THREAD ADAPTER 1/2 x 28 WITH THREAD PROTECTOR by: Tactical

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at getting a suppressor for my Ruger SR-22. While visiting family last week I stopped in at a small shop I heard of near Aransas Pass, Texas. I got to demo one of their suppressors on a Walter P22 and on a M&P 15-22. I was very impressed. Their website is: www.jetsupressors.com I've also heard good things about Tactical Solutions .22 suppressors.

Guest Travtastik

David at liberty suppressors is great to deal with. His shop is located about 30 mins from Chattanooga and he will let you demo anything he has. He lives about a mile from my parents house and I have stoped by many times to check out the shop and what is new. He has lots of demos and will let you shoot all you want. He doesn't mind to take the time to show you how it works and answer any questions that I have had. He can also do threading there also if you need it. His site is libertycans.net

Guest bnutriaz

As far as the question of what supressor goes best there is alot of good advive on this thread. I however offer a different question that might need to be discussed. I do not have a Walther P22, I do have several Sig Mosquitoes with factory threaded barrels. The reason I purchased those instead of the Walthers is several years ago I read quit a few threads on potential crackin of slides on Walther P22's when a can was installed. Not saying that it is a definite occurance on your gun, but from what I researched it is a possability. just my .02.

As for my 22 cans I have 2 AAC Pilots and 2 AAC Aviators. Not the best I grant you that, but quiet effective none the less.

Good luck on what ever your decision is.

Coop in Nashvegas

Guest the_accuser

I have a P22 and Gemtech Outback II. I shot almost 10K rounds without any issues. Great little combo but if I were getting a rimfire can today I would purchase one that is user serviceable. 22LR is very dirty and it doesn't take long for the crap to build up in the can. There are many good serviceable rimfire cans today. Like others say look at some other forums and I too would recommend ponying up $30 for silencerresearch.com. Good luck.

Jason

I have read good things about this SWR Spectre. I like the idea of being able to take it apart to clean, stainless steel, and also the ability to use the suppressor on 22LR, 22 mag, and 17 HMR. It sounds like a good suppressor to use for small game hunting to keep from getting your ears blown out. I wouldn't mind one for myself when funds become available. 22 LR isn't loud with subsonics, but it all adds up. I don't have a 22 mag or 17HMR yet, but they are real loud. No way would I want to pop one off in a hunting situation without hearing protection. Suppressor would be nice to cut down on noise.

How much are the Spectres going for in Tennessee usually at stocking dealers if someone wouldn't mind telling?

The new Surefire 22-A looks like it will set a new standard..

crap i almost have made a decision and u point this out!! (but thanks really, it looks like it might be worth waiting for depending on the Db rating) but i wonder will it be 6 months before they're available...

• 1 month later...
David at liberty suppressors is great to deal with. His shop is located about 30 mins from Chattanooga and he will let you demo anything he has. He lives about a mile from my parents house and I have stoped by many times to check out the shop and what is new. He has lots of demos and will let you shoot all you want. He doesn't mind to take the time to show you how it works and answer any questions that I have had. He can also do threading there also if you need it. His site is libertycans.net

after looking at liberty and reading reviews theirs seems to be one of the best right now. the Kodiak TL looks like it would fit the bill pretty good, thanks for pointing them out! also if anybody hasn't ran accross it www.nfatalk.org has reviews on suppressors and there's no membership fee! seems the kodiak beats the sparrow on their site pretty consistently even if only 5 or so db. i would doubt them not knowing who runs the site but then on 45's the liberty models are beat by silencerco (who makes sparrow) so it makes me kinda believe they are un-biased.

TOO MANY CHOICES!!