Employee Safe Commute (Parking Lot) Campaign

We have an average of 6 e-mails to each Representative who is NOT a Judiciary Committee member. There is a big push back by Leadership to forstall this effort, and the arm twisting is just beginning. Currently there are somewhere between 20 and 28 co-sponors on the sheet, we need 55 to win.

If we are to carry the day, it is going to take everybody that has contacted their Rep.s and Senators to get at least 5 more people that they know and can influience to do the same, and then get at least 2 of them to get 5 more to do it.

If the speaker wins this time we are done, we will be hanging around the foot of the table waiting for scraps from now on.

Edited by Worriedman

I got a response from MY representative in the House, Antonio Parkinson (D). I have never had a representative to support pro Second Amendment legislation. He said that he has signed onto the bill.

It also needs to be noted that this bill has NOT been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee. It is assigned to the House Sub Committee of the Consumer & Employee Affairs committee.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I have only received the following from the Gov's office.

February 3, 2012

Dear ArmyVeteran37214:

Thank you for writing to me and sharing your thoughts and concerns. Listening to and learning from Tennesseans is very important to me, and I appreciate hearing from you.

After careful review of your letter, I have forwarded it to my legislative staff for consideration. Your suggestions will be helpful as we develop our legislative and policy agenda.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. I look forward to working with you and all Tennesseans to make our great state an even better place to live, work, and raise a family.

Warmest regards,

Bill Haslam

BH:mg

cc: Leslie Hafner, Senior Advisor for Legislation

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

The reason that the Bill (HB 3560) had been placed on the calendar of the House Sub Committee of the Consumer & Employee Affairs committee, is the inclusion of Glenn Casada on that subcommittee. He is a member of the Harwell, McCormick, Maggart headed cabal that is setting themselves up to be the next Jimmy Naifeh gun-bill squashier group.

Here are the members of the Sub-Committee, Consumer and Employee Affairs. The makeup is 4 Republicans and 3 Democrats. How much is known of the history of these folks concerning 2nd Amendment issues? Any feel for the likelyhood of this bill getting out of this committee?

Members

sent mine in today. done got some replys.

Thank you for contacting me with your support for HB3560. I have signed on as a co-sponsor and I support this bill and our 2nd Amendment rights 100%.

God bless,

Jeremy Faison

Gal 2:20

Thank you for taking the time to contact our office. Your input is important to us and we appreciate your comments.

This is indeed an important issue and I will take this into consideration when it is time to vote.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you in any way.

Very Best Regards,

Representative Tim Wirgau

Tennessee General Assembly

204 War Memorial Building

Nashville, TN 37243

(615) 741-6804

Edited by byoung
The reason that the Bill (HB 3560) had been placed on the calendar of the House Sub Committee of the Consumer & Employee Affairs committee, is the inclusion of Glenn Casada on that subcommittee. He is a member of the Harwell, McCormick, Maggart headed cabal that is setting themselves up to be the next Jimmy Naifeh gun-bill squashier group.

Maggart? DEBRA Maggart? Every time I've written her on 2A bills she's been solidly on our side! Is there something I'm missing with her?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have noted that several members have posted that they have received responses indicating their representives have signed on as co-sponsors but I have yet to see that reflected on the General Assembly web site when I click on "co-sponsors). I don't know how often that is updated. In any case, the Senate version is scheduled to be heard on the 14th. I know that is Valentines day and some people may have other plans but I am seriously considering to go to Nashville for the hearing. My goal is two fold. I want to contact Senator Faulk and ask if I can be heard in the sub-committee but I also want to take the opportunity to visit the Shelby County members of the House Consumer & Employee Affairs Committee.

If anybody else is interested in being in Nashville that day, post it here. Maybe we can get together.

Sam Cooper

Memphis, Tennessee

Maggart? DEBRA Maggart? Every time I've written her on 2A bills she's been solidly on our side! Is there something I'm missing with her?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously, as suggested by Worriedman, contact her on these two bill specifically and see what she says and let us know.

I sent this to my legislators and copied the Speaker of the House

"Gentlemen,

I understand that some of your colleagues in House Leadership, and specifically the Speaker’s office continue to stall on SB3002/HB3560.

This is *very* irritating, and the outcome of this will be remembered and considered during the next election.

Do Your Job ! In my voting family, you will be held accountable for the inaction and obstruction of your leadership.

Warmest regards,

I have a problem. I am a staunch supporter of the Bill of Rights. I am also a staunch supporter of the Right of Property. And this legislation brings these two rights in DIRECT conflict.

If I do not want you on MY property, I have the RIGHT to tell you to leave, and can even get your forcefully removed. You can even be charged with a crime, if you do not leave.

The 2nd Amendment, the second most important Amendment, after the First, should allow me to carry firearms.

So, lets say this: I come and visit a person, who owns the land I am visiting on. He does not believe in the 2nd A. He thinks firearms are the root of all evil. Sadly, I have to visit, as he is a relative, and he is hosting a family reunion. I come on to his property, armed. He has the right to kick me off his land.

Why then should it be any different for any employer, or corporation, who have property rights, to have the right to say, not on my property?

Are we crippling one right for another here?

Why then should it be any different for any employer, or corporation, who have property rights, to have the right to say, not on my property?

Are we crippling one right for another here?

No. On HB 3560... First, as a business you have invited the public onto your property. You should have no say regarding what LEGAL NON-DANGEROUS items they have stored - in accordance with state and federal law - in their vehicles. Second, if you demand your employees remain unarmed to and from their place of work, it can be (and soon will be, I think) argued that you are responsible for their safe environment to and from the work place. Further, HB 3559 prohibits employment discrimination based on an applicant or current employee's ownership, storage, transportation or possession of a firearm that is otherwise in accordance with state and federal law.

Just IMO, as a law abiding citizen who has asked his attorneys and representatives.

BTW, new here. Hi guys.

Wrote everyone that I could think of in Executive and Legislative branches about this about two weeks ago. My Rep (Gary Moore D-Nashville) wrote back:

Thank you for your e-mail. I support these bills.

State Representative Gary W. Moore

House District 50

32 Legislative Plaza

Nashville, TN 37243

615-741-4317 phone

My Senator, Douglas Henry D-Nashville wrote back:

Thank you for your e-mail. This bill is in the Judiciary Committee, on which I do not sit but it is my practice to give great weight to a standing Committee's recommendations because it is in the Committee where questions are asked and answered about the bill. The concept sounds good to me. Douglas Henry

Our new GOP Guv responded:

February 3, 2012

Dear Steve:

Thank you for writing to me and sharing your thoughts and concerns. Listening to and learning from Tennesseans is very important to me, and I appreciate hearing from you.

After careful review of your letter, I have forwarded it to my legislative staff for consideration. Your suggestions will be helpful as we develop our legislative and policy agenda.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. I look forward to working with you and all Tennesseans to make our great state an even better place to live, work, and raise a family.

Warmest regards,

Bill Haslam

BH:mg

cc: Leslie Hafner, Senior Advisor for Legislation

Kinda squishy.

So, both of my Democrat legislative representatives are at least amenable to it, with my Rep in support. My GOP governor my be in cahoots with the new Speaker.