Edible Plants in Middle TN Ref. Book?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any books that are specific to middle Tennessee, but Peterson's Field Guide is probably the most popular for wild edible plants in North America. There is also a Peterson's that is related to Eastern and Central North America. That might help narrow it down.

I have found wild river plums, blackberries, and persimmons close to home. I have been wanting to get a guide and do some identifying too. I will probably do some of this during the spring and summer this year. I have mushroom guide and have done a little 'shrooming the last couple springs.

One universal tip. You can't get any nutrition to speak of out of grass, but humans CAN eat and digest clover. White or red. Leaves best of course, but stems and roots too. Can even dry the flowers and make flour.

Also, pokeweed abounds here and there all over the state. Best in spring, but can eat all summer if you had to. Read up on it. Berries are poisonous, actually whole plant is slightly so, toxins removed by boiling though (but NOT the berries, don't eat THEM).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought Peterson's Edible Wild Plants book.Seems to be well laid out. There are a few pages of color photographs, but every other page that describes the plants has hand drawn black and white pictures. The descriptions are good, and they give good information on the plan't usage. There is also an index in the back of the book organized by use, so if you want to fix a salad, you can go to the greens section and it will list all plants that could be used in a salad.

I'd love to do an outing in the woods and look for some of these plants. Anybody know of some plants that can be found in East TN that are edible that could get me started? The book covers eastern and central N. America, so there is a lot that I'm sure doesn't grow around here. There is so much in the book its almost too hard to get started.

I'd love to do an outing in the woods and look for some of these plants. Anybody know of some plants that can be found in East TN that are edible that could get me started? The book covers eastern and central N. America, so there is a lot that I'm sure doesn't grow around here. There is so much in the book its almost too hard to get started.

Easiest and best - Nature's supermarket, the lowly cattail.

After that, dandelion, plantain, fiddle head ferns, blackberry & wild strawberry just to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a book titled Wild Edible Plants by John Kallas for the Kindle for $.99. And an app for my iPhone that seems decent and gets updates called Wild Edibles.

You got a deal...it's almost $8 atm.....

While I'm here, anyone know of any citrus trees that will grow around here? Not looking for an orchard, just wanting to start some apple/pear trees in the "back forty" as it were. Which got me to wondering, would oranges or something similar survive? Not thrive obviously, but one more thing to have growing semi wild.

While I'm here, anyone know of any citrus trees that will grow around here? Not looking for an orchard, just wanting to start some apple/pear trees in the "back forty" as it were. Which got me to wondering, would oranges or something similar survive? Not thrive obviously, but one more thing to have growing semi wild.

No, too cold in the winter. You'd need a greenhouse. Some friends in Ashland City have a nursery business and babysit citrus trees for people, they have some pretty good sized trees.

No, too cold in the winter. You'd need a greenhouse. Some friends in Ashland City have a nursery business and babysit citrus trees for people, they have some pretty good sized trees.

Ah well, at least I didn't try and achieve an epic fail. I would love a green house, and it is on my list of things to do, right after the #1 thing which is to win the lottery :)

Oops, meant to say Thanks for the info....was a rough day but that's no reason to be rude.

Edited by Makiaveli