SBR the H&K MP5 A5

With the price of the mp5 "clones" going up and up and up I have decided to get a .22 mp5 Clone. My question is if anyone has cut down the H&K MP5 A5 aka Umarex MP5A5. The one I was looking at has a fake three lug flash hider with a fake suppressor that hides the 16" barrell that you can remove but it looks like you can throw away the fake suppressor and cut after the fake flash hider and thread for a real suppressor which would sbr the gun and still look fantastic. Anybody own one of these and has thoughts on this? Does the gunshops normally cut down .22 caliber rifles and do threading? Also if you guys want to post potential problems doing this since I eventually want to get an AAC Element. I don't want to go the gsg route since the gun is mainly plastic and I feel like i would break it.

Edited by alwaysonjohn
Guest VolDaddy

I can not comment on the HK 22's. I did buy in early with a GSG. I was really unhappy with it. It truly was a toy. There are more threads for fixing it than I care to count. I traded it before I put the first round down the pipe.

Edited by VolDaddy

Thanks for the reply VolDaddy. That is specifically why I didn't go with the GSG. I heard of people breaking them the first day they got it by slapping it forward in H&K style. This Umarex is supposed to be built with aluminum so it should withstand the abuse of "normal" shooters.

First, no problems with my GSG. And its been incredibly fun to modify.

Second, I haven't seen many SBR'd HKs but I haven't seen many stock ones either. They are really overpriced for what they are. I would recommend calling someplace like ADCO to see what they say.

• Like 1

The HK's aren't "clones" as they are licensed and made for H&K. They are identical with the exception of the caliber. The GSG is a decent gun but it is definitely not on par with the H&K. Lots of plastic there. I know of a few guys that have SBR'd their H&K's, re-threaded, and added cans. Expensive way to go for a .22 SBR, but a lot cheaper than an MP5 ;)

Except the HK's are clones as they aren't real MP5s and they are made by Umarex which has a bad rep anyways.

I'm not trying to dog on anyone for owning one. But you pay alot extra for HK on the side. Of course, all HKs are ridiculously overpriced anyways.

• Like 1

Except the HK's are clones as they aren't real MP5s and they are made by Umarex which has a bad rep anyways.

I'm not trying to dog on anyone for owning one. But you pay alot extra for HK on the side. Of course, all HKs are ridiculously overpriced anyways.

Actually they are made by Walther (very good reputation BTW) under liscense from H&K imported by Umarex.

The barrel itself is very thin, like .330 with a shroud to cover it and pull it tight. You will need to work out how to use the sleeve with the shorter barrel.

I have shot the HK MP22 and it was very reliable. It was also pretty accurate. If it had a thicker barrel to make threading easier I would have one.

Dolomite

My brother and I both have SBR GSG's. As does one of my good friends. We bought the thread adapter and run cans on them with no problems. They are not the best made guns, but I'm not going to be doing anything other than punching holes in paper with it. And ours have run 100% problem free since we have had them.

with the barrel gauge in mind I think I will wait till someone else tries it. Or until someone makes new barrels for this rifle. Thanks for the input guys.

Keep in mind the MP5A5 barrels are threaded at the ends for the shroud. There doesn't seem to be any issues with that setup, so I can't see how shortening the barrel and threading it could be an issue.

Actually they are made by Walther (very good reputation BTW) under liscense from H&K imported by Umarex.

I had a "colt" ar .22 that was the same deal, made by Walther, imported by Uramex, and licenced by colt.

It was by far the worst functioning gun i have ever laid my hands on...

Edited by 87toy
  • 2 weeks later...

Both can be SBR'd successfully. The issue with both Umarex and GSG, as some have referenced, is the stock barrel's diameter is too small and its thickness too thin to accommodate the thread depth needed for the 1/2X28 pitch most 22 suppressors use. I have seen several thread to a smaller diameter and then put a thread adapter to step up to 1/2x28 but that barrel wall is very thin and I've always been concerned to cut any thread pitch in it. I machined a slightly undersized sleeve for mine, pressed it over the barrel, pinned it, and then had the extra material necessary to thread for the suppressor.

I can say the GSG I did was a very reliable gun for what it was.

But it looks like you went with a Sig so moot point ;o) ...

Good luck and stay safe!

Michael

Law Enforcement Sales

Oak Ridge, TN 37830

07/02 FFL/SOT

www.lawenforcementsalestn.com

Sorry, I did not see the post about the Sig 522. Another option is to get the Tatical Solutions upper for your M4. It is pre threaded and then you do not need to spend the extra $200 for the stamp and wait 6 months. Get the Element and enjoy. BTW, have you looked at the SWR spectre II, or Liberty 22 cans? I hear great things about them both. Just trying to help. Whatever you get make sure you can take it apart for cleaning.

LES, I may get a umarex in the future, but the sig should give me something to play with for now. Shaggy, thanks for the advice on the cans. I still haven't decided on cans, gemtech has a nice one that includes a flash hider. i will check those other ones out too.

Alwaysonjohn, one can that I have been looking at is the Liberty Mystic. Its a 9mm can but is rated for all kinds of stuff from 17hmr to 300blk. It is a monocore and can be cleaned easily. Might consider this so you get a lot more use out of your tax stamp and wait time then a purely 22 cal can. Hope this helps, Shaggy

I think a 45 can would be to large a hole to have any real db reduction for a 22. I have shot the 45 AAC Tirant on a Sig P220 and it was very quiet. Maby start with a good 22 can and then when the bug bites get a few more.

I have the Walther/HK .22 MP5 and the comments above about the barrel are spot-on. Too small in diameter to thread normally for a suppressor. I love just about everything about the gun except the fake can on it - accuracy, reliability, feel are all pretty good IMO. Nobody makes aftermarket barrels that I know of, I've looked a few times and found nothing. I've been thinking about replacing the fake can with a small chunk of machined steel that would look kinda like an AR flash suppressor. When the fake can is removed something has to be threaded on the end to locate the barrel within the barrel shroud and probably needs a bit of force on it to apply some tension to the barrel. Now that I write this I'm thinking a normal nut would be fine to locate and tension for testing, I may try that soon and then proceed with making something that looks a bit nicer if it seems to work well.

Edited by RichardS