Loads for 30-30 win. lead cast bullets?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jeff. It might help us if you could tell us what these will be used for(plinking/hunting, etc), and what powders you have on hand now.

Update for Jeff. Try going to this site:

http://castpics.net/subsite2/LoadLookup/default.html

Click on the "Lookup Load Data"

Enter "30-30 Winchester" in the "Cartridge Contains" box.

Do not enter a weight in the bullet weight box.

You will get lots of loads. Sort the results by bullet weight. There are no exact weight matches, but the info there will be close.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Westwindmike

Hey jeff, what are you wanting to do with them? It makes a big difference. If its plinking and for fun then the load will be much lighter than if you need to kill something.

Also, some info on the gun is very important. We need to establish proper size too.

Happy to help, just give me more to work with.

get some aa 8700 fill the case to the base of the bullet you will blow out some powder but it mskes a good cast load

also check aa5744 it is a very good cast bullet rifle powder

last but not least trailboss fill the case about 70% it will be a good mild load

westwendmike pretty much sumed it up even with a fill case you would be alright with trail boss

with aa8700 its 20 mm cannon powder it burns real slow so a full case in a 30/30 makes a real mild load good for old military rounds with cast bullets as well

Hey jeff, what are you wanting to do with them? It makes a big difference. If its plinking and for fun then the load will be much lighter than if you need to kill something.

Also, some info on the gun is very important. We need to establish proper size too.

Happy to help, just give me more to work with.

I was just use them for plinking.Powder I have is Bullsye,Win.748,IMR 4895,IMR 4320,H110,Power Pistol,Accurate 2230,2520 and some more I can't think of right now without looking.Was hoping to use some of the powder I already have,so I wouldn't have to buy any more.They would have to be loaded light to prevent leading.

Thanks guys.

Jeff

If by any chance you are loading for a Marlin with Micro-groove rifling keep and eye out for leading. You may want to work up a few different charges to find the best performance without excessive lead buildup.

Edited by Garufa