Recommend an AR for First Timer

I am considering buying an AR with my tax refund. I don't have a lot to spend, just looking to get a good deal. I live in the Nashville area and would like to buy locally. I want a basic bare bones AR that is reliable and a good shooter. I'm not a gun newbie and have considered buying a lower and doing a build, but having no experience with ARs, I think buying a basic rifle would be the way to go. Can anyone recommend some brands to check out and maybe a local gun vendor to visit.

Here's your basic complete upper for$ 299.00

http://www.yourshopp...ial=true&priv=1

Here's your complete lower for $99.99

http://www.joebobout...ode=NFA-LW15BLK

Complete first AR for around $450 total even after paying for the transfer fee for the lower.

If you really want a CHEAP AR...this is the way to go. You'll still need to buy a rear BUIS but other than ammo and a few mags but it's cheap and a great starter AR.

Yes I have the lower and the upper is being shipped to me right now. No issues with the lower and shouldn't have any issues with the upper either.....and still cheaper than the S&W sport

Edited by kwe45919

Here's your basic complete upper for$ 299.00

http://www.yourshopp...ial=true&priv=1

Here's your complete lower for $99.99

http://www.joebobout...ode=NFA-LW15BLK

Complete first AR for around $450 total even after paying for the transfer fee for the lower.

If you really want a CHEAP AR...this is the way to go. You'll still need to buy a rear BUIS but other than ammo and a few mags but it's cheap and a great starter AR.

Yes I have the lower and the upper is being shipped to me right now. No issues with the lower and shouldn't have any issues with the upper either.....and still cheaper than the S&W sport

I don't think that upper has a bolt, carrier & charging handle? So add maybe $115 for the BCG.

I give another vote for the S&W M&P15 Sport. It is a bare bones AR (no forward assist or dust cover), but you still have the ability to customize it in the future. They can be bought brand new in the $600 to $700 range. It is hard to beat at that price. Around Nashville, I would check places like Guns & Leather or Outpost Armory. The Sport is very popular, and it can be hard to find.

If you want to build one, that is fine, but you will probably spend around the same as the M&P Sport, once you buy all the components and tools that you will need.

• Like 1

I don't think that upper has a bolt, carrier & charging handle? So add maybe $115 for the BCG.

Yep. Looks like those are extra, so add about $150 to the cost, plus that is a polymer lower (which I don't like). I would definitely take the S&W Sport over that build.

Yep. Looks like those are extra, so add about $150 to the cost, plus that is a polymer lower (which I don't like). I would definitely take the S&W Sport over that build.

Yes, for $299 it does include the bolt and carrier. This has been in another thread already and verified. So no, no need to buy and extra bolt and carrier. I'll post pics when mine arrives. I'll have my $450 AR at the Blount County meet March 17th if anyone wants to shoot it. Just bring your ammo and wear it out....I don't care. It's not like I don't have another AR.

Edited by kwe45919

My wife and I have been very, very happy with the S&W M&P AR. It had a reasonable price and is well made, flawless, accurate. Not being a big tactical widgit guy, all we put on it was a bipod/grip and a scope and a sling; with those fairly inexpensive additions it has been great for 3-gun.

If you do not have a lot to spend, you might consider alternatives as well. kel-tec makes a solid rifle (I have the pistol version, its been very very good and was inexpensive to boot, same thing with more plastic and barrel is the rifle), or you might pick up a used gun. A mini-14 can be found cheap sometimes as well, if you want a short range blaster. There are a number of other .223 guns that are not exactly AR's but are every bit as much fun.

Very pleased with the M&P Sport so far.

Was in same boat, been meaning to "someday" get a basic AR; with possibility of another panic buying period coming up, and with all the excellent reviews including our own Dolomite's (which counts more for me than any) went ahead and grabbed one -- but by time I acted the Sport was hard to find, even on line.

Just ran it Sat, shot over 200 rounds of all kinds of stuff through it, XM855, Federal Brass, Wolf and Tula polymer coated steel, and Monarch lacquer coated steel. Nary a hiccup. Must say that at 122 yards with just the stock iron sights, it's as accurate a gun as I own, too.

Dol added his trigger mod to it, and it's even sweeter. Very pleased indeed with it. Now the trick is to leave it as stock as possible. :)

- OS

I will just give you a quick run down of the Sport and why it is such a great gun.

1. The barrel is a 5R rifled barrel.

5R barrels are known for their accuracy regardless of caliber. For whatever reason they just shoot and shoot well. It also increases the velocity by virtue of how the rifling is laid out.

2. The barrel is Melonite treated.

Melonite treatments are far better than any chrome lining as far as hardness and durability. It also offers an exception amount of corrosion resistance. It is more than just a surface coating like chrome, it actually treats the metal and goes subsurface.

3. The bolt is properly heat treated.

This is very important for the long term durability of the firearm. It ensures the headspace will remain in spec longer than those bolts that are not heat treated properly. Poorly heat treated bolts will either wear prematurely or break from being too brittle.

4. It has a barrel twist rate of 8

This twist rate allows you to fire the heaviest bullets that can be fed from a magazine, up to 80 grains. And because it isn't a 7 twist (like most others out there) you can also fire the lightweight varmint style bullets without fear of the jackets seperating.

5. It comes ready to fire.

It comes with a Magpul rear sight while most competitors, even those 100's of dollars more expensive, do not. The sights have been proven for several years now both by those in harms way as well as the weekend shooter. It also includes a Magpul magazine which has also been proven for seveal years now.

6. It is built to the same specs as all other AR's

This means you can upgrade and swap parts to build a gun that suits your wants or needs. And because it is an AR most of the work can be done by the owner and if it is a milspec part it WILL fit.

7. The price

In reality if any other maker were to offer the same features as the Sport has they would be asking 100's of dollars more. The 5R barrel and Melonite treatment were once only offered on high end guns. And included in the price is a warranty that is among the best in the industry.

Up until about 3 months ago the Sport flew under my radar. It wasn't until I was asked about them that I took a serious look at them. I have since become a huge fan of them and recommend them to anyone who wants a quality gun that doesn't break the bank. And if I were in the market for one I would buy a Sport.

Dolomite

I will just give you a quick run down of the Sport and why it is such a great gun.

1. The barrel is a 5R rifled barrel.

5R barrels are known for their accuracy regardless of caliber. For whatever reason they just shoot and shoot well. It also increases the velocity by virtue of how the rifling is laid out.

2. The barrel is Melonite treated.

Melonite treatments are far better than any chrome lining as far as hardness and durability. It also offers an exception amount of corrosion resistance. It is more than just a surface coating like chrome, it actually treats the metal and goes subsurface.

3. The bolt is properly heat treated.

This is very important for the long term durability of the firearm. It ensures the headspace will remain in spec longer than those bolts that are not heat treated properly. Poorly heat treated bolts will either wear prematurely or break from being too brittle.

4. It has a barrel twist rate of 8

This twist rate allows you to fire the heaviest bullets that can be fed from a magazine, up to 80 grains. And because it isn't a 7 twist (like most others out there) you can also fire the lightweight varmint style bullets without fear of the jackets seperating.

5. It comes ready to fire.

It comes with a Magpul rear sight while most competitors, even those 100's of dollars more expensive, do not. The sights have been proven for several years now both by those in harms way as well as the weekend shooter. It also includes a Magpul magazine which has also been proven for seveal years now.

6. It is built to the same specs as all other AR's

This means you can upgrade and swap parts to build a gun that suits your wants or needs. And because it is an AR most of the work can be done by the owner and if it is a milspec part it WILL fit.

7. The price

In reality if any other maker were to offer the same features as the Sport has they would be asking 100's of dollars more. The 5R barrel and Melonite treatment were once only offered on high end guns. And included in the price is a warranty that is among the best in the industry.

Up until about 3 months ago the Sport flew under my radar. It wasn't until I was asked about them that I took a serious look at them. I have since become a huge fan of them and recommend them to anyone who wants a quality gun that doesn't break the bank. And if I were in the market for one I would buy a Sport.

Dolomite

Dolomite how can you tell if you have a 5R barrel, I have a M&P15 and on the barrel is 5.56 nato 1/9

Where can we find these in Knoxville area?

When I was looking, I couldn't. After the big flurry of them on sale at Academy and Gander, they seemed to dry up. Even sparse on line right now, seems. Academy claims to get them in now and then, daily gun shipments, but don't know what's coming any given day, they were $649 there 2 weeks ago.

- OS

One more vote for the MP15 Sport. I was in the same boat as you and picked up mine a few weeks ago at the Bill Goodmans show at the fairgrounds. Have had a bunch of things come up here and there that have kept me from getting to shoot it yet, but I plan on getting to play some time this week. I'm honestly thinking about buying a 2nd one just to have and keeping it stock and have the one I've got now for modding and playing with. I'll see if I can find the guy's card that I got mine from. I'm not positive but I think he had one or 2 more of them. If I find it I'll PM you.

I was a "first timer" ar-15 buyer a month ago. I'm glad i went ahead on my gut and bought the S&W MP-15 sport when i did.

Took it to the range( again) this past saturday and let my friend shoot it as well. Handled flawlessly, i even took the red dot off and used the iron sights, still a blast.

Only added an adjustable foregrip besides the red dot "Barska" ( it does what it is supposed to do). Maybe a bipod later on.

But for the $ and the name, you can't go wrong.

Well, after all the good info I went out looking for an M&P 15 this morning. Drove from Nashville to Lebanon Gun Shop and lo and behold found one hanging on the wall. Walked up to the young man behind the counter, told him I was looking to buy and asked how much. He replied $699 and went back to popping bubble wrap with his knife. Never said another word. I stood there for a good minute or two with a pocket full of money and looking at the gun on the wall across the counter until a man came in asking to see the gunsmith. The lady there replied he wasn't there, so bubble boy stopped what he was doing, walked AROUND me and across the store to look at this guys jammed 1911. I guess business is so good at Lebanon Gun Shop they can blow off $700 sales. I might have a hard time finding another M&P 15 in stock, but I will wait and sure won't purchase it in Lebanon.