Recommend an AR for First Timer

Well, after all the good info I went out looking for an M&P 15 this morning. Drove from Nashville to Lebanon Gun Shop and lo and behold found one hanging on the wall. Walked up to the young man behind the counter, told him I was looking to buy and asked how much. He replied $699 and went back to popping bubble wrap with his knife. Never said another word. I stood there for a good minute or two with a pocket full of money and looking at the gun on the wall across the counter until a man came in asking to see the gunsmith. The lady there replied he wasn't there, so bubble boy stopped what he was doing, walked AROUND me and across the store to look at this guys jammed 1911. I guess business is so good at Lebanon Gun Shop they can blow off $700 sales. I might have a hard time finding another M&P 15 in stock, but I will wait and sure won't purchase it in Lebanon.

Not good. My sisters husband swears by that place though he's only been in there a few times. I understand not hassling the customer about a purchase or gettin' in their buisness but a few words to help the customer know that questions can and will be answered can work wonders. Sorry to hear about the bad news....I know you were looking forward to one...

Well, after all the good info I went out looking for an M&P 15 this morning. Drove from Nashville to Lebanon Gun Shop and lo and behold found one hanging on the wall. Walked up to the young man behind the counter, told him I was looking to buy and asked how much. He replied $699 and went back to popping bubble wrap with his knife. Never said another word. I stood there for a good minute or two with a pocket full of money and looking at the gun on the wall across the counter until a man came in asking to see the gunsmith. The lady there replied he wasn't there, so bubble boy stopped what he was doing, walked AROUND me and across the store to look at this guys jammed 1911. I guess business is so good at Lebanon Gun Shop they can blow off $700 sales. I might have a hard time finding another M&P 15 in stock, but I will wait and sure won't purchase it in Lebanon.

Well did you ask to see it or just stand there waiting to be served?

• Like 1

Well did you ask to see it or just stand there waiting to be served?

I was the only one in the store standing directly in front of him for over a minute looking at the gun I asked the price on while he stood there behind the counter popping bubble wrap. No can I help you, would you like to see it. I walked up to him, told him I was looking to buy an M&P 15 and asked how much was the one on display. I shouldn't have ask him to please stop popping the bubble wrap and talk to me. That's not the way to run a business that depends on sale of your product.

Why does a rifle need an FFL? I thought only handguns needed to go through an FFL.

It is my understanding that an FFL is required for all cross-state firearm transactions. This is a pretty good FAQ summarizing the reules/regulations/laws:

http://www.gunbroker...=1118&NoCount=1

All interstate firearms purchases require an FFL, longgun or handgun. Private interstate sales are illegal.

Even if you purchase a handgun at an FFL out of state, it still has to be shipped to an FFL in your home state for transfer before you can take possession. You can buy a rifle (depending on the state) from an FFL and take possession then.

Guest Torrin

All interstate firearms purchases require an FFL, longgun or handgun. Private interstate sales are illegal.

Even if you purchase a handgun at an FFL out of state, it still has to be shipped to an FFL in your home state for transfer before you can take possession. You can buy a rifle (depending on the state) from an FFL and take possession then.

Thanks for the clarification, I am new to all of this, I generally go to my LGS and buy, but to save $200-$400, it might be worth it to buy online.

Bud's has it for $622, but it's out of stock right now. JoeBob's is a TGO supporter and after the 5% TGO discount, it's just $14.45 more and they have it in stock. I use D&T in Rivergate for my FFL transfers. they are also a TGO vendor and have a very reasonable transfer fee of $15 (+$10 for TICS, but everyone has that) when you tell them you're with TGO. Total damage: $661.45 out the door.

The standard M&P Sport is SKU 811036. The others (811037, 811038) are for compliance in other states so they have 10 round mags, fixed stocks, fixed mags, stuff like that. I can't recall the different "features" that each of those others have, but the 811036 is the one you want.

To expound on what Murgatroy has said.

All sales between private parties and within the borders of the state do not require a FFL. This is providing you feel comfortable enough with the buyer. It is perfectly legal to sell a firearm sight unseen by the buyer and ship it directly to the buyer without going through an FFL as long as it is a in state sale.

For anyone ordering online ensure the one you are ordering is the one with the Magpul rear sight. Evidentally there are some that have fixed rear sights rather than the Magpul sights.

Dolomite

Who cares?

It is obvious they don't care so why should any potential customer. It sounds almost like the greeting you get at CCA.

Dolomite

There might be some twisted satisfaction in walking out the door. "Oh, by the way, you could have made $100 off that rifle instead of just $25 for a transfer if bubble boy over there cared anything about your customers."

Edited by Garufa

There might be some twisted satisfaction in walking out the door. "Oh, by the way, you could have made $100 off that rifle instead of just $25 for a transfer if bubble boy over there cared anything about your customers."

I knew exactly what you were driving at.

- OS

One thing about the S&W Sport. As one person said, it does not have a dust cover or forward assist. I would have bought one if it were not for that. Keeping the goo out of the bolt area could be handy in a nasty situation. Also, the forward assist is useful sometimes as well. I guess it is the military in me that makes me "need" these two features. I had them on my M16 and I definitely used them. I think they should be something everyone looks for on an AR.

I got a DTI AR-15 for about $750.00 (slightly used). It is a good gun and despite DTI not being a "well known" company. I have heard lots of good about them from other owners as well. As far as the other brands go (Stag, S&W, DPMS, etc) they are great, but a lot of their clout is also due to good marketing.

There is a DTI on the forum right now for $725.00 in the Memphis area.

Just my $0.02

Edited by Seabeejason

It wasn't my intention to stray from the reason of my original post to get feedback from TGO members on the selection of an AR. I have received some great advice that I certainly appreciate. I have visited lots of gun stores and this was the first time I have had an experience like today. This was my first visit there and I realize anyone can have a bad day, but for the store to be empty and be ignored just stuck in my craw. I have no ill will against Lebanon Gun Shop, I just will not shop there anymore.

If you're LEO or current/retired military, you can check out Bud's Police Supply. Same people as Bud's Gun Shop, with discounted pricing but a more limited selection. Smith & Wesson also runs the occasional rebate on their M&P products. Sometimes it's for everyone, and sometimes for LEO/Military. Timed right, the rebate combined with good on-line pricing can get someone a quality rifle for a great price.

Edited by monkeylizard

One thing about the S&W Sport. As one person said, it does not have a dust cover or forward assist. I would have bought one if it were not for that. ..

Old debate, but I'll just say, I have a variety of rifle types and find it strange that only ARs have dust covers -- and If I have a round that doesn't want to chamber, I've never thought much of the idea of using more force to cram it in there.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Moderators

Old debate, but I'll just say, I have a variety of rifle types and find it strange that only ARs have dust covers -- and If I have a round that doesn't want to chamber, I've never thought much of the idea of using more force to cram it in there.

- OS

Exactly. If the round doesn't want to chamber, I don't want it in my gun. Why risk a stuck casing or some other type of catastrophic failure where I may have to disassemble the weapon to some degree to fix the problem. Get the round out of there, chamber the next one and keep firing.
Guest Hunter2

One more vote for the MP15 Sport. I was in the same boat as you and picked up mine a few weeks ago at the Bill Goodmans show at the fairgrounds. Have had a bunch of things come up here and there that have kept me from getting to shoot it yet, but I plan on getting to play some time this week. I'm honestly thinking about buying a 2nd one just to have and keeping it stock and have the one I've got now for modding and playing with. I'll see if I can find the guy's card that I got mine from. I'm not positive but I think he had one or 2 more of them. If I find it I'll PM you.

Can you get the carring handle/rear site for this model?