Red Jacket AR

hipower

OK, here we go again asking for info. I'm going to do some research tonight and tomorrow on this, but I'd like some commentary from the local pros.

I ran across a Red Jacket AR today and thought it looked pretty good. Priced at 1199.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

for the price and what you get it is not that badly priced, but there is a wait time on them of around 6 months (correct me if i'm wrong). Features wise I would spend a little more and get a Daniel Defense Mid-Length V5LW. DD has better quality control not to mention better support. Plus Red Jacket assembles the firearm, from what I've researched they only make very few parts of the actual rifle (handguard, flash hider, suppressor) and every other part is outsourced.

Edited by alwaysonjohn

I would not buy anything from Red Jacket especially not a firearm I don't care what kind of a deal they have on them

Why?

Until their show hit the air they were well respected members of the firearms community. As a matter of fact if you asked for a AK smith you would get their name before most others.

Just because the producers of the show have made their shop look like a madhouse, high school drama doesn't change the fact they are good people that make a good firearm.

Dolomitw

• Like 1

they WERE well respected AK builders.... Like I said, Kris doesn't build AK's for now so get them while you can!

As for AR's you can put a gun together like they do much cheaper, and without the wait (check the other thread) or you can get assembled AR's with more features for a little more or less depending on the company you go with. I have a BCM, I'm slowly buying a SBR Spikes Tactical in 300BLKOUT, and I want a DD V5 LW. Oh the RJ is a carbine length so a comparable gun would be the Colt LE6920 which is around $1000 which is what I would recommend for a carbine length, and then you can spend money upgrading it to the specs you want (quad rail, ubr stock, battle comp, etc).

Why?

Until their show hit the air they were well respected members of the firearms community. As a matter of fact if you asked for a AK smith you would get their name before most others.

Just because the producers of the show have made their shop look like a madhouse, high school drama doesn't change the fact they are good people that make a good firearm.

Dolomitw

I have friends in Baton Rouge, yes they were a respected gun shop, fabricator but they have gone Hollywood. Unfortunately when this happens they rely on their popularity through the show and no longer have the QC that they did before they were famous. This is what people in that area who I respect have told me

I feel they are way overpriced. Get you a Arsenal. Or custom build your own.

My bad, when I see theire name I always think AK. And Hi Power has bought a couple here lately. LOL

Edited by R1100R

Not having personally held or fired one of their weapons, I can't speak from experience, but for 1200, you could buy a very nice weapon from an established manufacturer locally and have thousands of rounds through it before you even got an order confirmation from them. Bottom line, they are not Daniel Defense, LaRue, Noveske, Barrett, or BCM, although they hope to be eventually. What you're buying from them is the more or less the exact same thing you're getting from Colt, Olympic, DPMS, Bushmaster, or S&W, all of which are on a shelf at your LGS.

Spend your money where you will, but don't fall for the TV show hype.

Mac

Overpriced for sure. I'm sure Will would say his AR is a "Game Changer", like everything else they build, but like past comments from others, you can build a better rifle for cheaper without the wait.

If you really like Red Jacket and that's what you want, then get it. I personally don't buy the hype.

Ok guys, thanks for the comments. They run pretty much what I expected to hear. Now a little more info. Found this gun on the sales rack in a shop, I might or might not divulge that info today. It's new and I was comparing it to the SW15 Sport, a Bushmaster Carbon 15, a standard entry Bushmaster, a Windham Weaponry, and a Delton. On looks and finish alone, the RJ came in first hands down. As much as I, a very much novice AR guy could tell, it was equipped better than the base flattop models, and controls were as smooth as any of the others. The RJ had the newer style adjustable locking stock with high cheek rest, front and rear Troy Battle sights, picatinny top rail to the triangular slotted fhgs, and a shorter rai in front of the guard. And though I really didnt car for it, also had swivil mounts front and rear with a decent sling. Also appearred to have a chrome lined barrel, and of course was 16" barrel with 1:9 twist.

On the basis of my limited knowledge, adding these accessories to the base flattop models from most makers will put the price much higher than the retail on this one. I would prefer an upgraded SW or Colt as a baseline model of me, as the more I look at the AR Sport from Smith, the less I want it.

Now, that's just my opinion. And we know what that's worth. Also factor in my lack of expertise and fire away with more comments please.

Again, Thanks for educationg me.

And to my buddy R100R, I apologise for jumping around on differnt platforms so much. I have wide and varied tastes. And just enough knowledge to be dangerous in a gun store.

Too much dinero, and I've put out way too much these last few months. Besides I really, really like the Wasr 10 I traded for. Yeah, I know the supressed model would just be an extension of the newly acquired fondness I already have for the platform.

I have friends in Baton Rouge, yes they were a respected gun shop, fabricator but they have gone Hollywood. Unfortunately when this happens they rely on their popularity through the show and no longer have the QC that they did before they were famous. This is what people in that area who I respect have told me

Thanks

Makes sense. I hadn't heard anything lately other than those criticizing them because of the show. It is a sad deal when something like this happens because everybody suffers in the end. Those who buy the guns are going to suffer and eventually those at Red Jecket are going to suffer. They have probably not realized it is already too late. The 6 month wait for their products will go away the second they no longer have a show. That is because those who are waiting will cancel their orders when it is no longer to be part of somethign famous.

I have often wondered if the drama isn't a result of the producers planting the seeds of doubt into the minds of those on the show. If you were to hear the same thing over and over again you might start to see it and perhaps this is why Vince left. I don't know if he was going to leave or not but the producers actions sure did not help. And I am sure the producers will use Red Jacket for all its worth then drop them like a hot potato leaving them to wonder what the hell just happened to what was a sucessful business.

Dolomite

Still looking, not sure I'll be buying anything real soon, but I do appreciate all the comments.

Went to Greenbriar this afternoon. Yes, stupid in all the rain, but went with a buddy on a trade run. Had a good conversation with Mark in the AR section. Very pleasant gentleman. Let me waste his time fondling a lot of their selecction. Found several likely candidates, among them the Windham Weaponry and a Colt 6920.

Got a lot to think about before the next purchase.

At this point, kinda looks like it's a tossup between the Colt 6920 and the Windham. Both feel very good to me and are practically and essentially set up the same. The only real difference is that the Colt has MOE forward grips that I like. But since I have a set of Magpul sights and MOE pistol grip already. I might just go with the Windham.