Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners

Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners -- The Premier Website for Tennessee Firearms Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have an account with us, please Sign In.

If you do not have an account, register now for one! It's 100% free and easy to do. »» Join TGO Now ««

As a member of Tennessee Gun Owners you can...
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Red Jacket AR

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 hipower

hipower

TGO Senior Member

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 5,663 posts
Carry Permit Holder NRA Member

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

OK, here we go again asking for info. I'm going to do some research tonight and tomorrow on this, but I'd like some commentary from the local pros.

I ran across a Red Jacket AR today and thought it looked pretty good. Priced at 1199.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

#2 R1100R

R1100R

Get Off The Grass !!!

• TGO Benefactor
  • 2,441 posts
Carry Permit Holder Military NRA Member

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

I feel they are way overpriced. Get you a Arsenal. Or custom build your own.

Edited by R1100R, 08 March 2012 - 04:48 AM.

#3 k9wh91984

k9wh91984

TGO BigShooter

• TGO Benefactor
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

I think he is looking at AR's not AK's. I do not believe Arsenal makes an AR :)

#4 alwaysonjohn

alwaysonjohn

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
Carry Permit Holder Law Enforcement

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

for the price and what you get it is not that badly priced, but there is a wait time on them of around 6 months (correct me if i'm wrong). Features wise I would spend a little more and get a Daniel Defense Mid-Length V5LW. DD has better quality control not to mention better support. Plus Red Jacket assembles the firearm, from what I've researched they only make very few parts of the actual rifle (handguard, flash hider, suppressor) and every other part is outsourced.

Edited by alwaysonjohn, 08 March 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#5 pcrc11

pcrc11

TGO Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

What I really want to know is where I can get a Red Jacket t-shirt and hat so I can be the coolest guy at the range.

#6 Dolomite_supafly

Dolomite_supafly

SME AR-15's + Wildcats

• Moderators
  • 8,580 posts
Carry Permit Holder Military

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

What I really want to know is where I can get a Red Jacket t-shirt and hat so I can be the coolest guy at the range.

Ask and you shal receive.
http://rjfgear.com/

Dolomite

#7 willis68

willis68

ROV's Rock!

• Subject Matter Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

I would not buy anything from Red Jacket especially not a firearm I don't care what kind of a deal they have on them

Edited by willis68, 08 March 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#8 Dolomite_supafly

Dolomite_supafly

SME AR-15's + Wildcats

• Moderators
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

I would not buy anything from Red Jacket especially not a firearm I don't care what kind of a deal they have on them

Why?

Until their show hit the air they were well respected members of the firearms community. As a matter of fact if you asked for a AK smith you would get their name before most others.

Just because the producers of the show have made their shop look like a madhouse, high school drama doesn't change the fact they are good people that make a good firearm.

Dolomitw

• Smith likes this

#9 alwaysonjohn

alwaysonjohn

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
Carry Permit Holder Law Enforcement

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

they WERE well respected AK builders.... Like I said, Kris doesn't build AK's for now so get them while you can!

As for AR's you can put a gun together like they do much cheaper, and without the wait (check the other thread) or you can get assembled AR's with more features for a little more or less depending on the company you go with. I have a BCM, I'm slowly buying a SBR Spikes Tactical in 300BLKOUT, and I want a DD V5 LW. Oh the RJ is a carbine length so a comparable gun would be the Colt LE6920 which is around $1000 which is what I would recommend for a carbine length, and then you can spend money upgrading it to the specs you want (quad rail, ubr stock, battle comp, etc).

#10 willis68

willis68

ROV's Rock!

• Subject Matter Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Why?

Until their show hit the air they were well respected members of the firearms community. As a matter of fact if you asked for a AK smith you would get their name before most others.

Just because the producers of the show have made their shop look like a madhouse, high school drama doesn't change the fact they are good people that make a good firearm.

Dolomitw

I have friends in Baton Rouge, yes they were a respected gun shop, fabricator but they have gone Hollywood. Unfortunately when this happens they rely on their popularity through the show and no longer have the QC that they did before they were famous. This is what people in that area who I respect have told me

#11 R1100R

R1100R

Get Off The Grass !!!

• TGO Benefactor
  • 2,441 posts
Carry Permit Holder Military NRA Member

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

I feel they are way overpriced. Get you a Arsenal. Or custom build your own.

My bad, when I see theire name I always think AK. And Hi Power has bought a couple here lately. LOL

Edited by R1100R, 08 March 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#12 McAllyn

McAllyn

TGO Member

• TGO Benefactor
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Not having personally held or fired one of their weapons, I can't speak from experience, but for 1200, you could buy a very nice weapon from an established manufacturer locally and have thousands of rounds through it before you even got an order confirmation from them. Bottom line, they are not Daniel Defense, LaRue, Noveske, Barrett, or BCM, although they hope to be eventually. What you're buying from them is the more or less the exact same thing you're getting from Colt, Olympic, DPMS, Bushmaster, or S&W, all of which are on a shelf at your LGS.

Spend your money where you will, but don't fall for the TV show hype.

Mac

#13 Rebels010

Rebels010

TGO Member

• TGO Benefactor
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Overpriced for sure. I'm sure Will would say his AR is a "Game Changer", like everything else they build, but like past comments from others, you can build a better rifle for cheaper without the wait.

If you really like Red Jacket and that's what you want, then get it. I personally don't buy the hype.

#14 hipower

hipower

TGO Senior Member

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Ok guys, thanks for the comments. They run pretty much what I expected to hear. Now a little more info. Found this gun on the sales rack in a shop, I might or might not divulge that info today. It's new and I was comparing it to the SW15 Sport, a Bushmaster Carbon 15, a standard entry Bushmaster, a Windham Weaponry, and a Delton. On looks and finish alone, the RJ came in first hands down. As much as I, a very much novice AR guy could tell, it was equipped better than the base flattop models, and controls were as smooth as any of the others. The RJ had the newer style adjustable locking stock with high cheek rest, front and rear Troy Battle sights, picatinny top rail to the triangular slotted fhgs, and a shorter rai in front of the guard. And though I really didnt car for it, also had swivil mounts front and rear with a decent sling. Also appearred to have a chrome lined barrel, and of course was 16" barrel with 1:9 twist.

On the basis of my limited knowledge, adding these accessories to the base flattop models from most makers will put the price much higher than the retail on this one. I would prefer an upgraded SW or Colt as a baseline model of me, as the more I look at the AR Sport from Smith, the less I want it.

Now, that's just my opinion. And we know what that's worth. Also factor in my lack of expertise and fire away with more comments please.

Again, Thanks for educationg me.

And to my buddy R100R, I apologise for jumping around on differnt platforms so much. I have wide and varied tastes. And just enough knowledge to be dangerous in a gun store.

#15 k9wh91984

k9wh91984

TGO BigShooter

• TGO Benefactor
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

I would buy the integrally suppressed AK from them lol :)

#16 hipower

hipower

TGO Senior Member

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Too much dinero, and I've put out way too much these last few months. Besides I really, really like the Wasr 10 I traded for. Yeah, I know the supressed model would just be an extension of the newly acquired fondness I already have for the platform.

#17 k9wh91984

k9wh91984

TGO BigShooter

• TGO Benefactor
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

It would be kool to have but a year wait if I'm not mistaken. 6 months to build, 6 months for NFA unless you can do NFA while they are building the rifle.

#18 pcrc11

pcrc11

TGO Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Ask and you shal receive.
http://rjfgear.com/

Dolomite

Sure it will be available at Wal Mart soon enough along side the Jesse James and Orange County Choppers merchandise (crap).

#19 reed1285

reed1285

Our Business is Life Itself

• Lifetime Benefactor
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

http://www.thetrutha...oses-their-ffl/

may be old news but they where under fire from the ATF not too long ago.

Edited by reed1285, 08 March 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#20 bkelm18

bkelm18

Philanthropic Misanthrope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

http://www.thetrutha...oses-their-ffl/

may be old news but they where under the fire from the ATF not too long ago.

I believe that was proven to be false information.