If you could have only one handgun......

Guest wmann

I was going to say Glock 19. But since you are limited to 10 round mags then I would go for a bigger caliber. Too many choices out there.

I would need a BIG BIG pay raise to move to Hawaii as the cost of living is much higher.

Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but gun laws are not at the top of the list of things to consider if I were considering a job related move. My family's well being and quality of life are more of a priority. I'd move to Chicago/NYC/DC if it meant a better life for my family.

Before you can have a quality of life, you first have to have "life" and moving to an area known to be dangerous to life while concurrently being unable to have access to the best tool to protect life seems like a bad idea to me. :)

Just my $0.02

Guest wmann

well lets put it all in perspective-

A. I live in Memphis.

B. I live in Memphis.

C. I live in Memphis.

D. Before that was Badhdad...

E. Before that was a "secret" army base in the Pacific

I get the drift on the restriction of said rights and freedoms-

but....the perks are-

• year round climate
  • 6 figure income- I hope
  • gateway to more international ops/travel
  • all the fresh coffee/pineapple I can choke back
  • one way ticket out of Memphis

A. I live in Memphis.

B. I live in Memphis.

C. I live in Memphis.

but....the perks are-

• year round climate

Do I sense that you might not be very fond of Memphis?

Guest RCLARK

Glock 23

It makes a bigger hole than the Glock 19

It's half the weight of a 1911

It holds more rounds than a revolver

Bigger than a little gun....and littler than a big gun

Guest RCLARK

JHP was a given. The G19 is on my short list of next purchases. The 9mm is cheaper to practice with. Interestingly (or I guess oddly) enough....my Glock stays home most of the time. I carry a Kahr PM40 and bag a 1911 in the car. The G23 defends the family when I am not home. If I had to grab one gun to bail out with it would be the Glock.

:stir: Counter with this. G19 with JHPs.

Same or bigger hole.

Half the weight of a 1911

It holds more than a revolver or a G23

Bigger than a little gun...and littler than a big gun. :squint:

Guest wmann

so are you confident that your family members can rack the slide in an emergency? thats assuming that you dont keep one in the chamber.....folks with small children around and all- but I guess a loaded revolver would present the same hazard with children.

For just home defense, you need a good 18" 12 guage shotgun, preferably pump in my opinion so there is no reliability issues. I don't think there would be an issue with you owning one of those. In a defense situation I would not grab my HK or AR, I have had to grab my Winchester Defender 1300 12 guage pump. I trust that gun in my hands, my fiancé, or my mother! Put a good recoil reducing stock on it like a Blackhawk and anyone can shoot it accurately and comfortably.

Edited by k9wh91984

Not a bad line of reasoning, but we've all strayed a bit from the OPs question I think. If we could have only 1 gun, what woud it be. In fact I may have strayed here. I don't remember, was it all-round choice or have just one weapon. Lots of difference in those options. Anyway let's have at it again.

Guest RCLARK

Boys are 18 and 21. They and swmbo can all shoot. There is a loaded revolver....a loaded Glock.....a loaded .380.....and a loaded Mossberg 500....placed strategically around. If they get past the outside dog, circumvent the alarm system and manage to calm the inside dog....they'll likely get 2 in the chest from the Mossberg....but they have all been instructed that if they have to get out quick to grab the bag with the Glock in it on they way out the door. That one is placed close to the exit of preference. If we can only grab one handgun....that's the one I want.

so are you confident that your family members can rack the slide in an emergency? thats assuming that you dont keep one in the chamber.....folks with small children around and all- but I guess a loaded revolver would present the same hazard with children.
Guest RCLARK

The question was handgun... I agree on the shotgun though for a best single weapon. Hands down.

Not a bad line of reasoning, but we've all strayed a bit from the OPs question I think. If we could have only 1 gun, what woud it be. In fact I may have strayed here. I don't remember, was it all-round choice or have just one weapon. Lots of difference in those options. Anyway let's have at it again.

A. I live in Memphis.

B. I live in Memphis.

C. I live in Memphis.

but....the perks are-

• year round climate

Since you specified "handgun", I would at least consider a Taurus Judge.

With the cost of living over there, I hope your income will be in the high six figures.

I would choose my Beretta 92FS. 9mm is the next cheapest thing to 22. It's about the only semi auto more reliable than a Glock, but there is a trade off. The 92 is a big heavy hoss. If you are not carrying it then there is no issue there.

Guest Brianf88

I moved from Chicago to be in this great state that you can pretty much own what you want and CARRY! If I had to move I would keep my beretta special duty since I wanted that gun since it came out. If I did not own a gun a really nice 1911. Since you said you wanted a revolver for easy use why not the sw 500 :)

I going to throw my thoughts out there on this- because it will be a home defense gun and because you cannot carry and are limited to 10 rnds.....and because the likely hood is that my wife may need to use it if I were not there I am thinking revolver for simplicitys sake. She loves to shoot but in a high stress situation I dont want her to have to think about slides or safetys. So even though I love my Kimber and my Glock....I may go with my SP101 or my s&w airweight 38.

If it's not going to be carried and kept in the house I would get a 4" barrell .357, maybe a GP 100 or a S&W loaded with .38+ps for the wife to handle. I don't know what you think about Taurus but they make a 7 shot .357 in their tracker series. Like I said if it's to stay in the house maybe something with a little heft, better recoil control.