If you could have only one handgun......

Guest wmann

Guest wmann

I may be in running for a job in Hawaii- I've read about their west coast style gun laws and thought that if I relocate there I wont be taking my meager collections of rifles, shotguns and handguns.

Instead I am thinking because of the laws and the high crime rate in some areas, I would take only one hand gun for home defense.

So - if you could have only one hand gun what would it be?

A variation of a 1911, probably a 9mm compact variety. But I would really like to have 2, a 22 target pistol as well, just to save $$.

If I had to pick one I already had, it wouldnt happen. I have at least 5 that I will not part with under any circumstances.

As a former police officer in hawaii... Whatever handgun you pick, youre limited to 10rnd magazines. Its a felony otherwise. Same thing with any rifle where a pistol variant exists. Therefore because there are pistol ARs, youre limited to 10 rounds there too.

Also when you land there, you have to take your guns locked and unloaded to the honolulu police department on beretania street so they can inspect and register youre firearm. I think you have three days.

The firearm purchasing process is a pain. First thing you have to do is go to the police department between 8am - 4pm (mon - fri) and apply for either a rifle or pistol permit (pistol you have to take a handgun safety course), get a background check and fingerprints, wait two weeks, pick up the permit between 8am - 4pm (mo - fri), go to a gun store, buy the gun, take the gun to the police department between 8am - 4pm, register it, then you can take it home.

For the record, only one place to shoot rifle and its always packed. Theres only a handful of indoor shooting ranges.

Make sure you read up on the laws before you go. Enjoy my previous home of 21 years!

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

If it were me and I could only take one of my guns with me, I'd take my CZ 75 Shadow...hands down. If I could carry there, I'd have chosen my CZ P-01 instead. Admittedly, my Glock 17 would have been a close 3rd, but it's accuracy just doesn't stack up against either of my CZs.

Edited by BigK