WILD HOG ROASTING?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We roast several wild hogs a year. Most feral Hogs do not have the fat content that a farm raised porker has and you will have to adjust your baisting as needed. As far as taiste goes...it is awesome stuff!

Let me just say this; If you shoot an old male, the smell and taste may chase you off. A young male or female is awesome when BBQ'd. I built a pit out back that I cook them on. I have one now in the chest freezer waiting to get BBQ'd. She weighs about 90 pounds. Maybe Memorial Day.

You have to smoke them a little differently than domestic pig. I smoke them to 160-170 degrees and then slice the meat. I tried one to smoke it to 190-200 degrees and pull it like domestic shoulders, but it was way too dry.

Our trick is to ice the quartered hog for a few days in a cooler. Drain the bloody water off every day till it runs clear. This gets most of the gamey taste out of even big hogs. Once the water runs clear we liked to rinse the meat and cooler, refill with ice, grapefruit juice, orange juice, sliced oranges, lemons, limes and a few jars of MOJO seasoning marinade. You could buy it at Publix in south Florida, but not sure about here.

http://www.badia-spices.com/cooking/cooking_prod_detail.cfm?id=131

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.