Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners

Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners -- The Premier Website for Tennessee Firearms Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have an account with us, please Sign In.

If you do not have an account, register now for one! It's 100% free and easy to do. »» Join TGO Now ««

As a member of Tennessee Gun Owners you can...
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WILD HOG ROASTING?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rhodewarrior

Rhodewarrior

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Carry Permit Holder

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

I would like to go on my first hog hunt sometime this year. Does a smoked wild hog taste much different than a smoked farm raise hog? I assume a wild one it might be gamey, but I don't know anyone who has roasted a wild hog.

#2 DaveS

DaveS

SME

• TGO Benefactor
  • 5,970 posts
Carry Permit Holder Law Enforcement Military

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

We roast several wild hogs a year. Most feral Hogs do not have the fat content that a farm raised porker has and you will have to adjust your baisting as needed. As far as taiste goes...it is awesome stuff!
Let me just say this; If you shoot an old male, the smell and taste may chase you off. A young male or female is awesome when BBQ'd. I built a pit out back that I cook them on. I have one now in the chest freezer waiting to get BBQ'd. She weighs about 90 pounds. Maybe Memorial Day.

#3 Johnny_Utah

Johnny_Utah

TGO Member

• TGO Benefactor
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

Drop me a line if you find an opportunity to hunt those pigs.

#4 Rhodewarrior

Rhodewarrior

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Carry Permit Holder

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:29 AM

Drop me a line if you find an opportunity to hunt those pigs.

Sure

#5 whiskey

whiskey

TGO Senior Member

• Subject Matter Experts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

You have to smoke them a little differently than domestic pig. I smoke them to 160-170 degrees and then slice the meat. I tried one to smoke it to 190-200 degrees and pull it like domestic shoulders, but it was way too dry.

Our trick is to ice the quartered hog for a few days in a cooler. Drain the bloody water off every day till it runs clear. This gets most of the gamey taste out of even big hogs. Once the water runs clear we liked to rinse the meat and cooler, refill with ice, grapefruit juice, orange juice, sliced oranges, lemons, limes and a few jars of MOJO seasoning marinade. You could buy it at Publix in south Florida, but not sure about here.

http://www.badia-spi...tail.cfm?id=131