South Korean M1 Garands

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story has been floating around on a few different forums for a couple of months and the rumor has been out there for years. Here is the general concensus from the Garand experts on the other forums. They will have import marks which will be a big detraction. They will be bottom of the barrel in condition. The wholesalers will more than likely be selling them north of 500.00. The 220.00 is reported as what the importer will be buying them for. Now add the price of getting them here, inventorying them, overhead, profit and then resale to a wholesaler who needs to make money. Southern Ohio Gun had some import marked junk M-1's couple of years back that IIRC were 500.00. Most of the reports that I read the people that bought them sent them back. I bought my Garand last year from CMP for 625.00 shipped to my door. For that I got a Springfield Service Grade that looked like it had never been shot and had a brand new stock. CMP has raised their prices I think 25.00. Go to the CMP forum and read the reports about the Garands that people receive from them. Have never, without exception, ever read a report from someone who did not get a better rifle than what they expected. If these Korean Garands ever do actually materialize you can bet the reports wont be so glowing.

Yeah but doesn't the CMP make it difficult to qualify to pick from their shelves? The reason I ask is because a Garand is next on my list.

Not that bad at all. Basically need a club affiliation. There are all sorts of clubs that qualify from being a member of the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation to many local clubs. Also need to show you had shot in some sort of qualification. Concealed carry class, hunter ed, shooting match etc. It will be well worth the effort.

Yeah but doesn't the CMP make it difficult to qualify to pick from their shelves? The reason I ask is because a Garand is next on my list.

1. Proof of citizenship in the U.S and proof of age.

(Copy of birth certificate or U.S. passport)

2. Club membership.

(There are many. If you want the cheapest with no qualifications, it’s the Garand Collectors Association. $25 a year and that requirement is fulfilled.)

3. Marksmanship or other related activity.

(If you were in the service, current or former Police Officer, have an HCP, or have an FFL or C&R you are in.) There are other options but that will cover most people here.

4. Legally eligible to own a firearm.

(They will run you through NICS)

I have been to the store and handpicked mine three times; Garand, M1 Carbine, and 1903 Springfield.

If you want to go pick one out at the store, get all your paperworked submitted a few weeks before you are going, and then call them to check on it.

Here’s a link to the eligibility requirements.

http://www.odcmp.com...eligibility.htm

Sweet. I've been wanting to do a .308 Garand for years. Now maybe the price will be low enough on a donor that I can.

Dont hold your breath on these being cheap enough that it will be worth it to cut one up, would think the more likely reason to cut one up will be becuase these will be in junk condition.

Caster > as long as the receiver is good and you want one go for it. might get lucky like I did.

Mine is a Korean sendback from the early 90's BLUE SKY ALEXANDRIA VA. on the barrel still holds 2" off sandbag rest with handloads, only change was a NM rear sight arperature and tighten up the gas cylinder locknut and new oprod spring ( first outing the spring broke into 3 or 4 pieces but rifle kept working )

Serial # indicates a 1943 with a rearsenal sometime in '55

I believe also a USPSA membership counts for CMP purchases.

John

Edited by LngRngShtr
Guest Grout

back in the 80's there were some Korean import Garands on the market.I bought one and was not impressed at all,rough parkerized finish and unreliable.Misfire/lightstrikes,FTF,and the trigger guard would disengage after 2-3 rds.I managed to get off 5 rds in a row without a jam or misfire and the trigger guard fell completley out of the gun.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dart67eb

Go to an Appleseed clinic and join RWVA for $20. That meets the requirements.

Go to an Appleseed clinic and join RWVA for $20. That meets the requirements.

Handgun carry permit or hunters' safety course satisfies the shooting requirements. You can join RWVA, Glock Shooting Sports Foundation, or several other clubs. You can join Garand Collecters Assn. at the CMP store that will also satisfy the club requirement.

Guest TankerHC

1. Proof of citizenship in the U.S and proof of age.

(Copy of birth certificate or U.S. passport)

2. Club membership.

(There are many. If you want the cheapest with no qualifications, it’s the Garand Collectors Association. $25 a year and that requirement is fulfilled.)

3. Marksmanship or other related activity.

(If you were in the service, current or former Police Officer, have an HCP, or have an FFL or C&R you are in.) There are other options but that will cover most people here.

4. Legally eligible to own a firearm.

(They will run you through NICS)

I have been to the store and handpicked mine three times; Garand, M1 Carbine, and 1903 Springfield.

If you want to go pick one out at the store, get all your paperworked submitted a few weeks before you are going, and then call them to check on it.

Here’s a link to the eligibility requirements.

http://www.odcmp.com...eligibility.htm

If your Military, retired military (I am) or LEO, you dont even need to do the paperwork. I called and they told me not to bother, went there and handed them my military retired ID, filled out the 4473 and while I was shopping they ran it through NICs and about an hour after I picked out my Garand I was out the door. (45 minutes of that was a class I didnt ask for but am glad I got). Actually I purchased a Garand and 2 Kimber Model 82G's that day.

BTW, if you have been there and bought a Garand you probably already know Leon, if you havent but are going you WILL know Leon. The guy knows everything about Garands. He gave me a 45 minute class on mine the day I went.

Edited by TankerHC
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Tgene

O K, yes I can. Hello guys, I'm new here but have heard on another site that, our president has put a halt on bringing these rifles back into the U.S. I don't know why.

O K, yes I can. Hello guys, I'm new here but have heard on another site that, our president has put a halt on bringing these rifles back into the U.S. I don't know why.

They are going to be brought in. I read a post on the CMP forum last week that had a link to a story that they (Koreans) are taking bids right now. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=74211

Edited by pcrc11