Turkey Kill Thread

My daughter busted a longbeard this morning on the TN youth turkey hunt. She killed her first bird last year out of a blind. This year we were running and gunning. We heard gobbles as soon as we stepped in the woods, got set up less than 100 yards from the birds. Gobblers came right to us when they flew down, but were downhill on a lower shelf and even though they were only 40 yards away, there was no shot. The hens flew down and took the gobblers to the bottom of the hill to a green pasture. We waited and let them get out in the field then we moved down the hill and set up, about 50 yards inside the woods. Something spooked the birds in the field and I thought the hunt was over, but the hens went left and the gobblers went right. I could hear the gobblers a good hundred yards out so I broke out the box call, gave a few loud yelps and some cutting and this big boy came trotting back down the hill towards us. He strutted in the field for a few minutes and then committed to us. He crossed a fence and covered about 10 yards when I told my daughter, "Take him when your ready." She barely got "OK" out of her mouth before dropping the hammer on him. 40 stepped yards and he was DRT. That little Mossberg 20ga with HeviShot Magnum Blends has turned out to be a great combination. Luckily we were the only folks in the woods this morning, cause we had a hootin' and hollerin' celebration after I sprinted over and rang his neck for good measure.

Shot at 8:15am, 21 pounds, almost 10 inches of beard and 7/8" spurs. A really nice 2 year old gobbler. This one was a good bit bigger than her bird last year, so she was stoked. She helped me clean it when we got home. She said, "What a way to start Spring Break!" We had a wonderful hunt with very vocal birds. We never went more than 15 minutes without hearing a gobble. Two exciting hours in the woods this morning. Can't wait for regular season to open now.

IMG_0297.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome bird! She looks excited!!! I was up at Big South Fork thursday through today and happened to see two toms. The one late yesterday was huge!

I have been considering a back country, pack in turkey hunt this year. Big south fork would be a great place to backpack in, set up camp and hunt for a weekend. I just have to figure out how to store and pack-out a 25 pound bird. Warmer weather would be easier, less layers and sleep gear to pack. I could probably get down to around 20 pounds plus gun and ammo.

• Admin Team

I have been considering a back country, pack in turkey hunt this year. Big south fork would be a great place to backpack in, set up camp and hunt for a weekend. I just have to figure out how to store and pack-out a 25 pound bird. Warmer weather would be easier, less layers and sleep gear to pack. I could probably get down to around 20 pounds plus gun and ammo.

There's some amazing ultralight gear being made these days. We did a winter backpacking trip up at Savage Gulf with less than 15lbs.

That said, we did a float trip up in big south fork last fall over three days frog leatherwood ford up to blue heron mine. 27 total miles. Great fishing. Totally under pressured. Floating a turkey is sure better than carrying one.

You just have to know her......

I might have to get her to kill some "dirt scratchers" off my hunting property. I would get "Whiskey" to do it, but he has issues......lol

I am turning into a tree hugger. I just call the turkey, someone has to do the killing. (that's how it seems anyway). I hope to correct that soon. Not that I don't like it when I call one in for someone else, I just want to feel my shoulder throbbing from the joy of a 3.5" turkey terminating grenade.

I am turning into a tree hugger. I just call the turkey, someone has to do the killing. (that's how it seems anyway). I hope to correct that soon. Not that I don't like it when I call one in for someone else, I just want to feel my shoulder throbbing from the joy of a 3.5" turkey terminating grenade.

When are you going to "Bow Hunt" one? Seems a 3-1/2 inch shell is almost as long as you are tall!

I'm going down Saturday and work on food plots...will let you know...

When are you going to "Bow Hunt" one? Seems a 3-1/2 inch shell is almost as long as you are tall!

I'm going down Saturday and work on food plots...will let you know...

I was planning to bow hunt for a turkey for the last 3 years. However, my self imposed rule is that I hunt the first two with a gun, then go for #3 with a bow. I can't seem to get to #2....

I was planning to bow hunt for a turkey for the last 3 years. However, my self imposed rule is that I hunt the first two with a gun, then go for #3 with a bow. I can't seem to get to #2....

A "personal challenge" is always a good thing to have!

If JG was here he could "HELP" you "hold it up"....remember the shotgun? LOL!!!