Saw a guy OC'ing today

I met my brother and his wife at a local barbecue place for lunch today and noticed a fellow patron open carrying. He was carrying some flavor of full-size XD at about 2:00 on his belt. He left part of the way through our meal, so I asked my two family members if they had happened to notice that the guy in the grey shirt had a gun. They both gave me surprised responses. One of them asked me, "Did you see it in his pocket or something?" They were more surprised when I mentioned that it was on his belt for all the world to see, and that he had walked right past them immediately after we had entered the store.

I know some people feel very self conscious when carrying. The above is a great example of why you've really got very little to worry about. Most people wonder around in Condition White. If they don't notice a balantly unconcealed weapon, they probably won't see your concealed one.

As stated in another post most people see open carry and think you are some type of LE. I was with a friend who OC and we had a waitress mention that they give a LE discount and asked what dept we were with. She was very suprised to find out that we were just 2 guys getting lunch after going to the range. I think as long as you don't act like its a big deal noone else will.

Early last year I was in a Kohl's Dept store to make a return and the guy in front of me was OCing. It was the one and only time I have ever seen anyone carrying unconcealed in Tennessee. This dude was heavily tattooed and was wearing leather and studs, but even then no one was freaked out. The clerk even smiled at him and told him to have a nice day.

Guest RCLARK

If I am out around my home town on the weekends running errands, I usually just use a slide holster and really dont worry about whether my shirt covers it or not. Nobody really pays any attention. My theory is that peoples reaction to it has a lot to do with how the OC is displayed. When people see a gun in a holster (versus just tucked in your pants) they associate it with a person who is authorized to have the weapon.

Guest Torrin

I am not a fan of OC, since some people really freak out about it and it is not worth the drama. It also could cause a business to put up the gun buster sign. (Beyond all the losing element of surprise stuff)

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I've OC'd a few times. I cant remember ever seeing anyone in TN OCing, but I used to go to a Walmart on the KY/TN line (Oak Grove KY) & I've seen a couple people in there OCing before. I OC'd too there & got a positive comment about it from a dude in the parking lot once.

I OC about as much as I CC these days. Or else I will carry one OWB and just throw on a shirt over it. Sorta quasi-OC. Guess I'm getting a little militant about it.

I see this attitude a lot in this area. Go to jan mar in kingsport on a saturday morning for breakfast. I swear its like a gun show. I pitty the fool that tries to hold that place up

I OC about as much as I CC these days. Or else I will carry one OWB and just throw on a shirt over it. Sorta quasi-OC. Guess I'm getting a little militant about it.

I do this a lot too, especially when my trousers are too tight for IWB lol.

But, I still consider it CC since it's concealed.

I see this attitude a lot in this area. Go to jan mar in kingsport on a saturday morning for breakfast. I swear its like a gun show. I pitty the fool that tries to hold that place up

Love the Jan Mar. I went down there quite a bit with my dad before he passed away in February. I also carry in there most of the time lol.

Guest peacexxl

The only time i have intentionaly OCd was coming from church on a day I was on duty with our security ministry and it was a show of force day when we were in marked T shirts and BTUs. Didn't feel like untucking etc. but know one really cared or noticed, including me.

Guest A10thunderbolt

I open carried for the first time this weekend, I was doing some work around the yard and had my 1911 on, needed to make a lowes run so off I went. Lowes didn't have what I needed (surprise ) and I ran to Home-depot then got some lunch. Only one guy said something, he looked to be about 45-50 and he asked if I was a Police Officer, I said no, he said I thought you had to CC so I explained that it is a HCP in TN. He was fine with it he said he just wanted to know. We talked about some other stuff for about 10min.

BTW I don't think half the people noticed I was carrying. I had it completely exposed I was just wearing a T shirt.

Edited by A10thunderbolt

Went to the Smyrna Walmart last evening afte work with my wife.

Three checkouts over, there was a twenty-something guy OCing a striker pistol, looked like a Springfield Armory of some type, with a silver slide and a black receiver. Blue jeans and a shirt, apparently accompanied by his spouse in green scrubbies and other family members. I noticed, but no one else seemed to give him much mind. I was going to walk over and shake his hand, but the timing meant I'd have to run up on him, and I thought better of it.

Way to go, dude.

• Like 1