Saw a guy OC'ing today

Guest A10thunderbolt

I know I'm probably about to get some points of views, but i'm thinking about OC all the time, its less hassle and why should I feel obligated to conceal if I have the right? I have carried concealed every day for 2 years and its a pain, CC holsters are just uncomfortable.

Guest Scwrod

I'll chime in with my 2¢, I am a new member here and a new HCP holder. I mostly CC OWB with a shirt covering it and nobody even knows. I have OC a few times and it was no big deal either. With current law, it is soley up to the individual to CC or OC. I feel that if I OC I could open myself up for a negative experience. Some crackhead could see my weapon and then plan to knock me over the head and then aquire a weapon that might help him feed his/her addiction. This may sound crazy but have you watched the news latley? I do not care either way as I do practice both methods. I don't do pocket guns and am not a big fan of IWB. I carry my sigma in a serpa CQC holster raked and it is very comfortable and easy to CC. To each his/her own. I am just glad we are able to carry protection :)

Guest Matt Pavo

I know I'm probably about to get some points of views, but i'm thinking about OC all the time, its less hassle and why should I feel obligated to conceal if I have the right? I have carried concealed every day for 2 years and its a pain, CC holsters are just uncomfortable.

I'll give my opinion. I think that OC is a perfectly legitimate choice and I have done it before, mostly in remote locations. 99% of the time I have carried concealed to one degree or the other. IWB holsters are uncomfortable but are excellent for carrying to places where you want to be completely concealed, like church, where any attention would be awkward. I also think that CC is the best option for when you are roaming around in unfamiliar territory or to a place where you haven't investigated for gun buster signs since walking past one can get you in a bit of trouble in TN. Otherwise, I say open carry on!

Outside of gun stores, I have seen 4 people open carrying in TN. I don't think that anyone else noticed, but I typically try to notice so....

Edited by Matt Pavo

Unless the person looks like the kids you see coming out of an Airsoft shop, I like seeing people open carry. (There are a few people who just give whatever they are doing a bad name.)

I usually conceal carry because I'm not a very sociable person, and I have an irrational fear of some loud woman screaming at me in a public place about having a gun. I seem to attract weirdos whereever I go, and the less interaction I can have with them the better.

Guest thejoshdavis

I OC'd today. Went to my normal morning gas station stop, then to work (left the G22 in the car) OC'd at lunch at Logan's in 100 Oaks, OC'd to On Target and Stones River Mall this afternoon. Nothing crazy went down at all. I make it a point to OC once or twice a week.

I OC alot anymore. Most people don't even notice that I have a gun. I try to be a polite person and not be a dick. I have had a few people ask me about my weapon and a few people that have made jokes like "don't piss off the big guy with the gun". A lot of people tell me I just look like i should be carrying a gun, whatever that means. The only time i was hassled was buy a old hippy lady that works at a local cigar/liquor store. The place is not posted and I happen to know the owner through business. She asked why I was carrying a gun. I gave her the usual line and she told me that she didn't like that being in her store. I reminded her she didn't own that store and that I would discuss it with her boss. She shut up pretty quickly. When I went to check out buying a pack of cigars she asked to see my ID to make sure I was old enough. I showed her my carry permit too so she could see that I was able to carry my firearm. She made some sort of remark along the lines of you shouldn't be able to carry that gun at your age. I was like well you shouldn't be able to wear a tube top at 50 and promptly paid for my items and left.

• Like 3

I OC'd today. Went to my normal morning gas station stop, then to work (left the G22 in the car) OC'd at lunch at Logan's in 100 Oaks, OC'd to On Target and Stones River Mall this afternoon. Nothing crazy went down at all. I make it a point to OC once or twice a week.

I thought Stones River Mall had a gun buster sign on the front door? Maybe not if you OC'd and had no problems.

After 3 years of carrying--i haven't tried open carry yet. The gas station i visit weekly knows that i always carry--because the keep my beer on the bottom shelf to the back.....its impossible to retrieve without printing. It set them at ease once when a customer got violent because their EBT card would not buy lottery tickets. It hit the fan but they handled him well--knowing i was armed 6 ft away with my strong arm on my firearm. No harm no foul--i wont hardly get gas anywhere else..........

Guest thejoshdavis

I thought Stones River Mall had a gun buster sign on the front door? Maybe not if you OC'd and had no problems.

I looked over the outside door twice and there was literally nothing on there but mall hours. On the second set of doors, nothing at all. I went the the first "mall information" sign I saw. Nothing but ads for the stores.

The biggest problem I have with people open carrying is those that are too weak or untrained with weapon retention not to mention no retention holsters. I was talking about this with a fellow LEO who said the day before he was at Walmart and there was a 90 year old man who couldn't hardly walk OC a huge SA revolver in a flimsy holster. I have seen plenty of trained law enforcement nearly get there weapon taken away just for the sake of embarassement.

Unless the person looks like the kids you see coming out of an Airsoft shop, I like seeing people open carry. (There are a few people who just give whatever they are doing a bad name.)

I usually conceal carry because I'm not a very sociable person, and I have an irrational fear of some loud woman screaming at me in a public place about having a gun. I seem to attract weirdos whereever I go, and the less interaction I can have with them the better.

Let her scream!!!

I have slowly started OC'ing because of the comfort of my SERPA and, while I feel uncomfortable sometimes, I only do it because the of how comfortable the holster is. Ive got a drawer full and have one OWB that is very tight to the body, but tightening my belt up so much just makes all day carry such a pain. I sometimes pull my shirt over the SERPA when I feel nervous, even though I have the right to carry, but it doesnt really do much good. I feel that I might just continue this way til I have a bad experience.

Edited by BlackHawk93

I have slowly started OC'ing because of the comfort of my SERPA and, while I feel uncomfortable sometimes, I only do it because the of how comfortable the holster is. Ive got a drawer full and have one OWB that is very tight to the body, but tightening my belt up so much just makes all day carry such a pain. I sometimes pull my shirt over the SERPA when I feel nervous, even though I have the right to carry, but it doesnt really do much good. I feel that I might just continue this way til I have a bad experience.

Or maybe you'll just get used to it. We've been conditioned for generations that its not acceptable. OC is an adjustment for sure.

It definitely gets easier over time, and the amount of time depends on the person. I had my first "encounter" a few days ago at Auto Zone. The checkout guy saw it, and we struck up a conversation about the cost of a TN HCP, 1911's, etc. Very good experience.

I wear 5.11 polo's and 5.11 TDU/cargo pants almost everyday. People really don't question anything if you look slightly like a LEO, that and I also keep my hair short. When I was getting it cut the other day the lady asked if I was a police officer after she cut my hair.

6ce448ef-034a-260c.jpgI carry OWB at all times (other than work,) and really don't care if shirt covers up or not. My wife did see a sign at the local Little General the other day that said no open carry. I will post pic later becuse not sure of legality of the sign. Edited by jtmaze

As already stated, most people just don't notice. I saw someone OC'ing at Sam's a few months ago. I mentioned it to my wife, who also carries sometimes, and she had no clue. We even passed the fellow several times.

I've seen a couple people carrying where I'm working. No one even raised an eyebrow if they noticed.

Will