mauser 1916

BillyBob

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind guys im not going into it.I've researched and found out its chambered for 7.62 cetme which is lower pressure than 7.62 nato and the guy is telling me its good to shoot. 308 win. Im not trying it if he wants to blow it up he can I need my face and limbs in tact lol.

Look under the barrel near the muzzle. It should be marked there as to the chambering. I bet it is marked "308W". These guns were not chambered in the CETME caliber. I have one that I bought in the 80's for $69. I have shot a lot of 7.62 NATO ammo through it. I would never shoot commercial "308 Winchester" ammo through this gun. Pressures in the commercial ammo is much higher than the military ammo!

Ok, looked in my stuff and found this article about them in Guns and Ammo.

GAM1916_Article.gif

After shooting a bunch of NATO rounds through mine, I decided to use it exclusively for cast boolits. It is a great cast boolit shooter!

Here is a good blog written about them.

http://carteach0.blo...user-rifle.html

Edited by Westwindmike

Yeah, the 7.62 CETME thing is a myth. These guns were rechambered from 7x57 to 7.62x51 NATO.

The 1916 is a small ring 1893 Mauser that has been updated, odds are good it is a Civil Guardia. These were rechambered Mausers for the Spanish version of the National Guard.

Yes, .308 Winchester shoots at a higher pressure than 7.62 NATO.

I have heard great things about these rifles with hand loads and cast bullits. That is eventually where mine will be. Yes, I own one of the Civil Guardia Mausers.

Guest cardcutter

I have shot .308 winchester through mine with no problems what so ever.

But then I was told by several "Range Rats" That you should never shoot Nato stuff through them.

Thanks for the real info.

its collectable. As in, there are people who collect them. There are also people who collect bottle caps, rocks, and all sorts of other fairly common stuff. Anything and everything is collected by someone.

If it is a typical example it is probably worth in the neighborhood of $300 or so. If it is all original with matching serial numbers down to the stock and all, it is worth researching closer to see if it is more rare.

These guns were exceptionally well made. I would not be afraid to shoot them with modern ammo if research indicates that you can do so, and after letting a gunsmith check it out. It has a great deal of good steel in it.