Backyard Shooting? (Shelby County Area)

Guest IceBreakerG

Guest IceBreakerG

Hello all, I wasn't really 100% sure where to post this, but since it's a legal questing, I figured it fit. Anyway, I was curious to know if it was legal, illegal, or no written law regarding shooting in my own backyard? I just picked up a suppressor for my Walther P22, and I've already fired about 50 rounds or so over the last 2 days in the backyard (all were into the grass, except the old VCR I just assassinated lol). I live in Cordova in the area still run by the county. So am I breaking the law or am I ok shooting a few rounds out back?

Guest IceBreakerG
With questions like this, it's always best to call your local Police Department.

If I call them, they'll have my phone number. With my phone number they can find out my name. With both of those they'll have my address, and with that, they can show up lol. That's what I'm trying to avoid here lol.

:D + me = :eek:

Guest mac

just dont tell anyone.i think you are supposed to be 100 yrds from any residence but not real sure.i am wating for my form 4 to come back now on a prodigy and i will be shooting in my back yard as well. p.s. i also live in shelby county

Guest IceBreakerG

Well, the area I'm shooting at is damn close to 100yds from the next house. Our backyard is about 2 1/2 acres, but I usually shoot from the driveway to the edge of the grass, so anything that hits is going straight into the backstop of the grass (today's lucky victim was an ancient VCR lol). This is just something I'm really curious about. I can't really afford to go to Range USA every day lol.

This has been discussed in a few threads....from what I remember the general consensus is, there is not state law preventing the discharge of firearm in your backyard.

I think the 100yd distance is relevant to hunting on public land as mentioned in 70-4-108, but it does not seem to address recreational shooting on private property.

For those that live in the city limits they would need to check any local ordnances. I know the city I live in has an ordnance against the discharge of firearms.

The city ordinance here in dickson where I live is "Cannot be discharged in an unsafe manner" Personally with houses around I would say without having some kind of Moderate sized dirt mound or stop to shoot into anyone seeing you could say it's unsafe, and it probably is. Don't wanna go through a window and kill someone. But if you have something, other than a VCR to shoot into I'm sure your city is similar.

I have my own hillbilly shooting range here in Knox County. I called the sheriffs office first. Worrying about them having your number is paranoia. I was told that the county has no ordnance against discharging a firearm. The only stipulations were to not fire in the direction of a building or an area where people are.

You are responsible for your bullet.

I have a dirt pile that I use as a backstop, and a target frame that can be put directly in front of the dirtpile. The dirt pile sits in the woods on the bottom of a hill.

Lately we have taken to setting up a shooting gallery of sorts with targets on the dirt pile and at the base of it. Things like canned food, empty tin cans, water filled soda bottles, golf balls, charcoal hanging from a stick and a string and plastic army men. Its a hoot.

Guest Revelator
How much is membership at Mikes house

I'm thinking a 12-pack of High Life and some beef jerky gets you in :eek:. Man, I wish I had something like that at my residence. I live in downtown Memphis. Can't exactly walk down Beale St. and sqeeze off a few rounds, though if someone did it wouldn't be too surprising.

I know I am probably the only member of TGO from Parsons, but here is a link to Parsons Municipal Code.

http://www.mtas.utk.edu/public/municodesweb.nsf/5cde681dbdedc10f8525664000615fc4/a28d9b2efe39f1ce85256c6300633ad6?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,parsons

It has not been updated since it was first put online and I some changes have been made to Title 8

Title 11, Chapter 5 covers firearms.

11-503 says...

Weapons and firearms generally
. It shall be unlawful for any

unauthorized person to discharge a firearm within the municipality. (1970 Code, § 10-212, modified)

Apparently you're not even supposed to shoot a BB gun.

11-501

Air rifles, etc
. It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to

discharge any air gun, air pistol, air rifle, "BB" gun, or sling shot capable of discharging a metal bullet or pellet, whether propelled by spring, compressed air, expanding gas, explosive, or other force-producing means or method. (1970 Code, § 10-213)

I'd like to broaden this a bit, but think I'll start another topic to do it when I have a little more time.

Meanwhile, there is a Multiple Code Search Service online for:

Brentwood

Bristol

Clarksville

Farragut

Gallatin

Germantown

Kingsport

Knox County

Knoxville

Metro Government of Nashville and Davidson County

Shelby County

There are several other cities code at

http://www.mtas.utk.edu/public/municodesweb.nsf/

Guest bkelm18
I know I am probably the only member of TGO from Parsons, but here is a link to Parsons Municipal Code.

http://www.mtas.utk.edu/public/municodesweb.nsf/5cde681dbdedc10f8525664000615fc4/a28d9b2efe39f1ce85256c6300633ad6?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,parsons

It has not been updated since it was first put online and I some changes have been made to Title 8

Title 11, Chapter 5 covers firearms.

11-503 says...

Weapons and firearms generally
. It shall be unlawful for any

unauthorized person to discharge a firearm within the municipality. (1970 Code, § 10-212, modified)

Apparently you're not even supposed to shoot a BB gun.

11-501

Air rifles, etc
. It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to

discharge any air gun, air pistol, air rifle, "BB" gun, or sling shot capable of discharging a metal bullet or pellet, whether propelled by spring, compressed air, expanding gas, explosive, or other force-producing means or method. (1970 Code, § 10-213)

Yeah you can't fire an air-rifle or spring-rifle in Oak Ridge unless it's in an area approved by the city manager. Guess I was breaking the law many many times when I was a kid. :eek:

I'm thinking a 12-pack of High Life and some beef jerky gets you in :eek:. Man, I wish I had something like that at my residence. I live in downtown Memphis. Can't exactly walk down Beale St. and sqeeze off a few rounds, though if someone did it wouldn't be too surprising.

You can, it is just more likely to get you in trouble with all of the Camera's they have on Beale now.

Guest IceBreakerG

Thanks for the info guys. I was considering building a backstop made out of plywood (probably with inch thick wood). It'd be in the shape of a wedge, and be filled with stopping material, such as old phone books, some wire mesh, etc. Basically stuff a .22 round won't penetrate completely. Not really sure how big it'd be yet, but it's just on the drawing table right now. Not sure if I could get a dirt mound in the backyard big enough that wouldn't stick out.

The area I'm shooting at is toward a wooded area in the direction there are no houses currently, so it is in a safe direction. My shots are never horizontal with the ground, always at an angle toward the grass, so if I miss my target, it'll just go in the grass, and since it's been raining every other day, the ground is fairly soft. I figure, a nice wooden stop would be good for me since the only thing i'll ever use is a .22, with either standard velocity or subsonic ammunition.

Edit: I also checked out municode.com and could not find anything pertaining to firearms or guns for Shelby County. The only thing I was able to find was about air rifles or bb guns.

Edited by IceBreakerG
Guest canynracer
Thanks for the info guys. I was considering building a backstop made out of plywood (probably with inch thick wood). It'd be in the shape of a wedge, and be filled with stopping material, such as old phone books, some wire mesh, etc. Basically stuff a .22 round won't penetrate completely. Not really sure how big it'd be yet, but it's just on the drawing table right now. Not sure if I could get a dirt mound in the backyard big enough that wouldn't stick out.

The area I'm shooting at is toward a wooded area in the direction there are no houses currently, so it is in a safe direction. My shots are never horizontal with the ground, always at an angle toward the grass, so if I miss my target, it'll just go in the grass, and since it's been raining every other day, the ground is fairly soft. I figure, a nice wooden stop would be good for me since the only thing i'll ever use is a .22, with either standard velocity or subsonic ammunition.

Edit: I also checked out municode.com and could not find anything pertaining to firearms or guns for Shelby County. The only thing I was able to find was about air rifles or bb guns.

Based on the codes that Mars posted, I found this:

Sec. 26-23. Possession by minor, discharging on public property prohibited.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person in the county under 18 years of age to carry any air rifle on the public streets, roads, highways or public lands within the county unless accompanied by an adult; provided, however, that a person under 18 years of age may carry such rifle unloaded in a suitable case, or securely wrapped.

(:eek: It shall be unlawful for any person in the county to discharge any air rifle from or across any street, sidewalk, road, highway or public land of the county or any public place in the county, except on a properly constructed target range.

© It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any air rifle within any residential zoned area of the county.

(Priv. Acts 1961, Ch. 372, § 3; Ord. No. 137, 2-28-94)

I am thinking that if you cant shoot an air rifle, they are prolly gonna have a big prob with a 22 as well...

I would err on the side of caution...not sure what kind of offense it would be, but I am thinking that it is not going to look good come permit renewal time...

get yourself a membership at RangeUSA...if you shoot that much, it is worth it!!

Okay - Shooting a suppressed rifle or handgun in your back yard is not a good idea in a residential neighborhood.

If you live out in the country and there are acres between you and the next house I say go for it. Inside the incorporated areas of Cordova is a BAD idea. You never know who might be watching your back yard.

Guest canynracer

dig down... :D , Make a pit that you can go into

Guest IceBreakerG
dig down... :D , Make a pit that you can go into

LOL. Yeah, not sure that would fly either. But like I said, with the way Range USA is going up in prices, and the cost of ammo + gas, it's just easier to unload 20-30rds in the backyard than it is to drive 20-30mins each way. I am curious to see why that clause about air rifles is there. Granted, since when does the law ever make sense.