Backyard Shooting? (Shelby County Area)

Guest IceBreakerG

strickj asks

How much is membership at Mikes house

Double After Split<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_95506", true); </SCRIPT> answers

I'm thinking a 12-pack of High Life and some beef jerky gets you in

I am thinking that answer hits the nail on the head!!

strickj for you we can work something out. come on up sometime!

Guest jackdog

Damn I'm really lucky, I have a couple of county cops that come by and shoot with me. We have a good safe time, and there very pro gun for citizens. Living in the stix is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Guest TNDixieGirl
Thanks for the info guys. I was considering building a backstop made out of plywood (probably with inch thick wood). It'd be in the shape of a wedge, and be filled with stopping material, such as old phone books, some wire mesh, etc. Basically stuff a .22 round won't penetrate completely. Not really sure how big it'd be yet, but it's just on the drawing table right now. Not sure if I could get a dirt mound in the backyard big enough that wouldn't stick out.

The area I'm shooting at is toward a wooded area in the direction there are no houses currently, so it is in a safe direction. My shots are never horizontal with the ground, always at an angle toward the grass, so if I miss my target, it'll just go in the grass, and since it's been raining every other day, the ground is fairly soft. I figure, a nice wooden stop would be good for me since the only thing i'll ever use is a .22, with either standard velocity or subsonic ammunition.

Edit: I also checked out municode.com and could not find anything pertaining to firearms or guns for Shelby County. The only thing I was able to find was about air rifles or bb guns.

If you're in a residential area, are you prepared to take responsibility for shooting that kid you didn't know was walking through the wooded area behind your house? Sometimes codes don't make a damn. It's common sense you'll need to rely on.

I have had a range in my (rural) Bradley Co. backyard for 12 years. I don't use it often anymore because Cleveland Rifle Club is 15 minutes away and much nicer. I pulled in my driveway several years ago and two Bradley Co LEO's were running radar at the end of my lower driveway. They were still there when I decided to go out back and shoot a few .22's, I simply walked out to them (unarmed) and told them what I was going to do, to keep them from thinking they were under fire. They said thanks for the heads up, and I went shooting. Since my kids have started shooting we have shot some out back here recently and most of my neighbors shoot in their yards as well. I love living in the sticks!

Guest canynracer
I have had a range in my (rural) Bradley Co. backyard for 12 years. I don't use it often anymore because Cleveland Rifle Club is 15 minutes away and much nicer. I pulled in my driveway several years ago and two Bradley Co LEO's were running radar at the end of my lower driveway. They were still there when I decided to go out back and shoot a few .22's, I simply walked out to them (unarmed) and told them what I was going to do, to keep them from thinking they were under fire. They said thanks for the heads up, and I went shooting. Since my kids have started shooting we have shot some out back here recently and most of my neighbors shoot in their yards as well. I love living in the sticks!

OMG!!! You mean...you ACTUALLY showed COURTESY to a LEO???? what is this world coming to, I cannot believe that you would give up your rights like that...:up::D:popcorn:

I'm thinking a 12-pack of High Life and some beef jerky gets you in :D. Man, I wish I had something like that at my residence. I live in downtown Memphis. Can't exactly walk down Beale St. and sqeeze off a few rounds, though if someone did it wouldn't be too surprising.

If you live downtown just go out armed as often as possible. The law of averages says you will get more "live" target practice than at a tactical shooting class!:D

Guest IceBreakerG

Common sense is the thing I use everytime I decide to pick up my gun lol. I think for the most part, I'm going to try to use subsonic ammo as much as possible for backyard shooting, as well as extremely low velocity ammunition (like the CCI CB Longs or the Aguila Super Colibri which doesn't even have powder and is a primer only round). I'm also looking into ideas of possibly getting a dirt mound backstop to insure nothing goes past my intended target, but that will depend on how much it costs and how ugly it is lol. I appreciate everyone's input on this as well though.

• 1 year later...
Guest HoneyBaer

I have not been charged with this yet, but I probably will be as the facts of my case come out. Is there any good defense for doing this? Or is it just cut and dry? (In my case I was dispelling the chambered bullet because I couldn't get it out otherwise.)

Btw, I actually have Leslie Ballin as an attorney (hired by my family), but after spending just one night in prison I'm not looking forward to spending even one more. After all, the man is not a god...

I live in rural Madison Co., I have a berm in my back yard. The prissy State employee that lives next door called the Sheriff's Dept. when I was sighting in my turkey gun one fine spring morning. The officer pulled up in the driveway, I left my shotgun on the rest, kept my hands in view and walked to meet him. He inspected the setup, and asked if he could come back off shift and sight his in.:poop:

He came back that afternoon and we got his scope set, and then proceeded to run a couple of hundred 9mm's and 45's.

The young Jackson Police Officer that moved in across the cove uses my range to check his deer rifles, and we shoot a lot of pistol. I have a Madison Co. Deputy that built a house behind me, so we rearranged the berm, and he uses the range now too.

Be responsible, and be safe!

Guest HoneyBaer

Dear Santa,

This year for Christmas I'd like a Barrett .50 cal Sniper Rifle w/digital display and a butt load of ammo. I'm going ahhhhh... turkey hunting! :cool:

--HoneyBaer

I have not been charged with this yet, but I probably will be as the facts of my case come out. Is there any good defense for doing this? Or is it just cut and dry? (In my case I was dispelling the chambered bullet because I couldn't get it out otherwise.)

Btw, I actually have Leslie Ballin as an attorney (hired by my family), but after spending just one night in prison I'm not looking forward to spending even one more. After all, the man is not a god...

I don't suppose you could elaborate on this?

- OS

Guest HoneyBaer

OS,

What would you like me to elaborate on? I have been charged with aggravated assault - a felony - because I withdrew my gun from my pocket after telling someone to leave my property, that they were trespassing. I felt in danger. The person was approaching me in a threatening manner and yelling...

After I went inside, I could not dispel the chambered bullet, so I went into the backyard and fired it in the dirt.

I've been told that if this comes out in court that I will probably also be charged with discharging a firearm within the city limits - a misdemeanor.

I have no criminal record - not so much as a parking ticket - and I would prefer that it remain that way (even though I've already spent a night in prison, been strip-searched, fingerprinted, submitted to a pregnancy & drug test, had my DNA taken and had to pay thousands in bail, attorney fees, court costs, lost work, etc. All BEFORE as much as a preliminary hearing!).

So much for the Castle Law, Self Defense, or justice! Oh, did I mention that even the charge shows up on background checks and I haven't been able to find a new job!

Guest HoneyBaer

Not to mention that this person was a relative of my violent, drug-dealing, cheating husband who had brought him there to pick up some stuff and now my husband has used this incident to file for divorce - inappropriate marital conduct on MY part - and a restraining order - both for himself and our child - and is using that to prevent me from seeing our child.

The restraining order alone prevents me from possessing a firearm for the next year, even though I had previously filed one against him for breaking & entering, destroying property, making death threats and offering to pay people to follow me. Talk about victimizing the victim! Now my only defense, from him or anyone else, is pepper spray and/or a baseball bat.

HoneyBaer sounds to me that all you can do is get the best lawyer you can find.

It will all play out in time. Seeing you have no previous record I would guess that charges can be dismissed. if your lawyer is delaying things multiple times before the actual hearing I would venture a guess that he/she is a good one. Get the best money can buy. Even going into debt over it is better than getting convicted.

Sucks getting booked and spending the night in jail (prison is reserved for those convicted, not just accused.) but it is not the end of the world.

Good Luck

Guest HoneyBaer

Mike, funny my husband said the same thing about jail vs prison but the fact of the matter is that I was incarcerated at 1 of the only 2 female prisons in the state. So even if the technical lingo is different prior to conviction, there is no SUBSTANTIAL difference. Maybe if I'm convicted they'll issue me a pillow this time to go along with the kindergarten mat mattress, single sheet & thin, scratchy wool blanket!

Edited by HoneyBaer
Guest HoneyBaer

P.S. Part of the delay was waiting to see if the Feds wanted first crack at me. Who knew...!? Now I totally distrust the entire system - especially the boys in blue.

Edited by HoneyBaer

OS,

What would you like me to elaborate on? I have been charged with aggravated assault - a felony - because I ...

Well, that would be the elaboration I was interested in, thanks.

This is most distressing to hear, and I wish you the best possible outcome from this mess.

After I went inside, I could not dispel the chambered bullet, so I went into the backyard and fired it in the dirt.

I've been told that if this comes out in court that I will probably also be charged with discharging a firearm within the city limits - a misdemeanor.

Wow. Were you not familiar with semi-auto pistols at all?

I trust you HAVE learned how to remove magazine and rack the slide to unload one now?

Again, best of luck in the legal arena.

The part about the "feds" doesn't make any sense to me; I don't see anything that would involve a federal offense.

- OS

Guest MinorKey

make sure when charges get dropped, you have you lawyer work on having the whole thing expunged. pretty routine but if not done it will stay on the background check.

Guest HoneyBaer

No, I'm not that familiar or comfortable with guns (although I'm an natural marksman ;o). Someone knowledgeable has always helped me. I found this site/thread researching the law and just started venting. I don't think people realize how the 'justice system' extorts money from innocent citizens. Regarding the Feds, apparently any charge involving a firearm gives them 1st dibs. That's what the lawyers say...

Edited by HoneyBaer

Wow HoneyBaer, I hope it all works out to your favor.

As far as the backyard range... Living in a neighborhood is really getting old for me. BB's are illegal?? I just hope they sink into backyard grass/dirt quickly!!! :tough:

Other than that, I have a pretty cool archery range set up with 3D targets and a hay bail. In front of the hay bail, I tie 3" helium balloons to the ground. They are really fun to shoot when the wind is blowing (pop!), but severing the string is the ultimate challenge (fly away balloon... be free) :P

Are arrows illegal in the backyard, too. Wait.... don't tell me.