Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners

Welcome to Tennessee Gun Owners -- The Premier Website for Tennessee Firearms Owners and Enthusiasts

If you have an account with us, please Sign In.

If you do not have an account, register now for one! It's 100% free and easy to do. »» Join TGO Now ««

As a member of Tennessee Gun Owners you can...
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

threading a remington 700 barrel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hlb14

hlb14

• TGO Benefactor
  • 335 posts
Carry Permit Holder

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

I'm looking at getting a remington 700 and then getting the barrel threaded for either a muzzle break or at some point a suppressor. This would be my first experiance with a gunsmith. Are there any questions i should ask or anything to be on the lookout for? Lastly is there anyone in the Brentwood/Franklin area that you would reccomend? thanks

Edited by hlb14, 07 May 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#2 dunndw

dunndw

TGO Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Rocky at Franklin Gun Shop would be my first choice.

#3 alwaysonjohn

alwaysonjohn

TGO Newcomer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
Carry Permit Holder Law Enforcement

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

great choice in getting a 700. They are the "ford mustang" of the precision world. The questions you should be asking yourself (Your gunsmith should be able to help you think about this too)
1. Would it be a better idea to just go ahead and get it rebarreled with a $355 Lilja 3-button 1-10 barrel and get that threaded and fluted? $355 parts and $240+ gunsmith fee?
OR 2. Should you get it cut down and threaded? $175 gunsmith fee?

For my custom 308 being built I am deciding between a 20" or 24" 1-10... decisions!

After that, get a Jewell trigger ($225) and you should be set besides deciding if you are going with an AAC 90T Muzzle Brake (still hasn't been released yet but its for attaching the new 90T AAC Suppressor) or a Surefire Muzzle Brake (for attaching a Surefire suppressor).

ALSO, if you haven't bought the 700 yet, why not spend a ridiculous amount of money and get a custom one built? My new one will cost around 3K without optics...

Edited by alwaysonjohn, 13 May 2012 - 11:43 PM.