Moving to TN

Guest SandowBob

Guest SandowBob

Hello! I'm moving to Tennesee from... Vancouver, Canada. My girlfriend got a job at a University in Knoxville, and I'm heading down with her, as I've wanted to move to Tennesee for near a decade. We're coming down in September, and until then I thought I'd get aquainted with like minded folks. I've been involved with guns for about 12 years. Really ramped up my interested in the past 5, I've come to love 1911's in .45ACP, I enjoy going through a brick of .22's in a couple of hours and I have a interest in SxS shotguns, but have little experience with them, as the only shotgun I've owned is an 870. As I understand it, I have to wait tell I get my green card before I can own anything in TN, but it'll be a sweet day when I can get a Thompson :) (They are prohibited up here... even the semi-auto only version). Thanks for reading, and take care. I will be very happy the day I can share in the freedom you all enjoy.

Robert "Sandowbob"

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Welcome. I'm sure someone in the Knoxville area would be happy to share some range time with you until you get set up and can buy your own guns. I'm not 100% sure at what point you can own a gun but I'm sure someone will be along to clarify that.

Edited by bkelm18
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to a fellow canuck. You will love the freedoms you have here. Regarding gun ownership, yeah, you'll have to wait until you get your green card but once you get it not only can you buy guns, you can get your hcp (the first things I did after getting my green card). If you're ever over Nashville way give me a holler and we'll have some Mooseheads and poutine :yum:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Robert [That's the proper greeting in Tennessee.]

You'er going to love it here. We moved here from Cincinnati, Ohio two years ago and I'll never go back. Stuff we've found.

• Ever gone to a restaurant and have people at the tables around you just start talking to you? People are that way here. Everybody is friendly.
  • This is the bible belt. Everybody is a God loving christian, and proud of it.
  • Food is a bit higher here. When you find specials at the grocery you will take advantage of them.
  • The Smokey Mountains are the best thing that God put here. Plenty of hiking, hunting, fishing, and a lot of other stuff that we couldn't do up North.
  • Be ready to drive a bit more. We live 40 miles South of Knoxville. My wife drives 60 miles to work in Cleveland, Tn and I drive about the same to get to the gun club in Oak Ridge.
  • There are several public ranges here. I belong to Oak Ridge Sportsman's Ass. and love it. http://orsaonline.org/ It's a bit confusing but they refer to each section as a club. Surf their web site.

Once you get settled drop me an email rzillick@gmail.com. Love to show you around.