Why I Fight

JG55

There are times when we are hit with a brick. There are times when God demands our attention. There are instances when the emotions of a moment are too rich. Sometimes, those moments all hit you at the same time.

WHY I FIGHT

As a Soldier, when I was deployed, I told those close to me that I had resigned my fate. I understood that each time I kissed my wife goodbye, it could be my last. Saying goodbye to my daughter in her crib at 14 months could be the only slightest memory she would have of me. And it was for them, I served my country. The trick is…once you have resigned your fate and after you come back, life is no longer about you. You have to make it about them…it is all there is left.

I fight for my children.

All five of them who are still here and one who we will see again. And it pisses me off that the America that I inherited as my birthright (24 days after Reagan took his oath of office) is being passed off to my posterity in worse shape than when I received it. I feel a bit like Esau’s son having just discovered that the birthright he so richly deserved was no longer his to hold because his parents had sold it for pittance.

That is why the fight we are in, this ideological struggle, is so intense at times. It is so because it is a true battle between two VERY different ideas of what America should look like for our children.

So, those who scream for civility on one hand just use “civility and tolerance†as a club to oppose dissent.

I believe in rational discourse. But when you are being robbed blind is NOT the time to engage in it.

When debate is necessary, I will debate.

When dissent is necessary, I will dissent.

But when my children are threatened and those we love are hurting…we must fight.

Because, my friend, our inalienable rights are worth fighting for. Because we aren’t guaranteed another breath. Because we aren’t guaranteed that the precious gifts God has given us to watch over will awake in the morning. Because there are things more important than US.

That is why I fight. But that is also why, this weekend, I am going to hug my children more. Be more patient when they interrupt my writing a blog. Teach them about what this weekend really means beyond the picnics, parties, and parades.

BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS (I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments)

-In loving memory of those who have come before and those who we will see again when our fight is over-

Updated Shares, Thank You!:

http://nathanjmartin.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/what-really-matters-the-aftermath-of-brettkimberlin/

• Like 2

I was serving when the author of the OP was born and I thank him for his own service.

I fight because, although as an individual I may not amount to much, it's the individuals of this country that make it so much more than just the total sum of it's parts.

I have no children of my own to hug and hold dear, but I fight because others do have children and as fellow countrymen I believe they deserve the best that the greatest nation on earth can offer - and by that I don't mean public handouts and entitlements.

I fight because I'm a contrary old fart who got that way by believing in God and Country and Family and I want every other person who aspires to someday reach old fart status to have the same opportunities along the way that I did.

Mostly I fight because the greatest lesson I've learned in the course of my life is that freedom is anything but free and I don't mind paying a little extra for the privilege of living in the greatest country the world has ever known.

My own actual part in service as a radio mechanic and commo guy was small, but I nonetheless served to the best of my ability and was honored to do so.

Thank you JG55, for finding this piece and posting it. And I thank all those who've served for their sacrifice... You are not forgotten!

:hat:

:usa: :usa: :usa:

Edited by Timestepper
Guest 6.8 AR

You always post good stuff, JG. The Brett Kimberlins of America end up bringing out the best in people while doing

bad things. Y'all do know who he's referring to, don't you?

• 7 months later...