I'm going to leave my results up for now, but after talking with Dolomite over the phone, we've pretty much come to the conclusion my Chronograph is :poop: so basically the work I have done thus far was a waste of time. It's just not possible to get the accuracy I am getting with the velocity variances my Chrony is showing.

You can't put 120 rounds inside a 2 inch circle if you're getting as much as 300fps difference.

Which chronograph are you using?

I may try some of these with it...

http://www.midwayusa...-tail-box-of-50

If you do, let me know what the over all length of that bullet is please. I wonder what it isn't close to the 62g steel core I shoot a lot of. It'll certainly be longer than any regular lead core 62g.

I've tried their 70g triple shock and grouped 5 rounds in about .600 @ 100yards They're pricey so I only bought 100. I shot half and tucked the others away. If I were to take up deer hunting with a .223 it would be the one to do it with.

Edited by Caster

If you do, let me know what the over all length of that bullet is please. I wonder what it isn't close to the 62g steel core I shoot a lot of. It'll certainly be longer than any regular lead core 62g.

I've tried their 70g triple shock and grouped 5 rounds in about .600 @ 100yards They're pricey so I only bought 100. I shot half and tucked the others away. If I were to take up deer hunting with a .223 it would be the one to do it with.

I load them in .458, and they're quite a bit longer than lead. That's why I figured they would be a good match for the new powder.

I load them in .458, and they're quite a bit longer than lead. That's why I figured they would be a good match for the new powder.

I think s too. I have had better results from the longer 73g Amax than from any of the small bullets I've tried. Even with my screwy Chronograph I could tell a difference.

I asked him for some 842 powder.Told him I seen it on this thread.

Okay, good deal. SMP 842.

Start low and work up slow. By the time you actually see pressure signs, you may already be past max pressure so watch yourself. ....and share your results. :pleased:

ss109 62gr

Oh those do so very well with that powder. What rifle, barrel length and twist?

I ran 24g and was VERY happy with it. Dolomite ran a touch more and was equally pleased. I would tell you to start low and work up. 22g or so would be a fairly safe place to start. I wouldn't go much past 25-26g. Dolomite is in the 25.? grains and we both agree that it's close to the upper tier. Much more would be a bad idea.

BTW, the powder does it's job. I use Montana Extreme 50BMG solvent and it is POTENT. I can usually get a couple of blue patches after only hundred rounds but I run a dry patch through the bore with a tight jag and got the powder fouling out and then soaked the bore in solvent for 15 minutes. NO blue on the patches. The first one had some more powder residue but no copper. The rest came out a little off white. Woot!