How to acquire your C&R FFL license

This was copied from garandgear.com I take no credit what so ever, just trying to help others fill out their FFL.

How to acquire your C&R FFL license

What is a Curio and Relic Federal firearm license? This license is often called a C&R license or a FFL 03 license, and is issued by the BATFE. (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives). The BATFE describes the license as the following:

...the license will entitle you to acquire firearms, classified as curios or relics, in interstate or foreign commerce. You may dispose of curios and relics to any person, not otherwise prohibited by the Gun Control Act of 1968, residing within your state, and to any other Federal firearms licensee in any state. It must be emphasized that the collector's license being applied for pertains exclusively to firearms classified as curios and relics, and its purpose is to facilitate a personal collection. You may NOT engage in the business of buying and selling curios and relics under this license.

What does this license do for me?A C&R license has several benefits to the M1 enthusiast. Your C&R license meets several of the requirements that CMP has for the purchase of an M1. Many vendors offer discounts to customers with C&R licenses. Finally, your license will allow you to purchase M1 Garands and other C&R weapons from other licensee's without the requirement of going through a third party and paying transfer fee's.

Getting Started:

1. The BATFE now has a digital copy of the E-Form 7CR (5310.16). Start by downloading the application from the BATFE's website. This form is a PDF form that can be filled out electronically and then printed on white paper. The application can be obtained here: [Download Application]

2 Download the ATF F 5330.20 — Certification of Compliance http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf form. In addition to 5310.16, applications must be accompanied by a signed Certification of Compliance (ATF F 5330.20) for each additional Responsible Person (RP) on the license, if applicable. If you're the only person on the license then you don't need to submit the 5330.20 form. This one page electronic form is used to determine the citizenship of all the parties on the license and their eligibility to file the Form 7CR above.

3. The BATFE charges a $30 fee which is due at the time the application is filed. This fee covers the cost of your license for three years. You can pay this fee either by check or credit card.

This article demonstrates a generic method of completing this application. Every person will have to answer the questions posed in the application according to their situation. Be sure to carefully read the questions on the application and answer them appropriately.

The Application:

1. Sections 1 through 6 of the application are straight forward. Fill out the name, address, telephone and county in which you are going to collect at. We are going to assume that you are filling this application out as an individual and not as a corporation or other business entity.

2. In section 7: Check the box marked An Individual.

ae312f95-8f65-7ff4.jpg

3. Section 8 deals with paying the $30 dollar license and application fee. We recommend paying by credit card when possible. You'll be able to monitor your credit card statement to know when your application has been processed by the BATFE. Checks or money orders are also accepted.

Fill out section 8 and include your billing information. If paying with a credit card you must sign and date the printed copy of the form. Do not fill out the signature and date portion electronically.

ae312f95-8fcb-b468.jpg

4. Section 9 is where you list the individual or persons responsible for the license. You'll have to include all your home addresses for the past five years, place of birth and date as well as a current phone number. The second column asks for your position. As a non-business entity you should enter "Collector", followed by your social security number. If you need more space then is provided on the form, use a separate sheet with your name, address and social security number at the top of the page.

ae312f95-8fe6-c1aa.jpg

5. Section 10 is only filled out if you are a non-immigrant alien.

ae312f95-900f-9a20.jpg

6. Section 11 is used by the ATF to determine if you previously had a firearms license, or worked for a company that had. For most people this section will be marked NO. If you mark yes for any section you must include a separate blank page with a description of why you marked yes to the question. The top of the page should have you name, address and social security number.

ae312f95-904d-7537.jpg

7. Section 12 and 13 deal with any criminal record, drug use, or restraining orders the applicant might have. If you mark yes to any of the questions you must include a separate blank page with a description of why you marked yes to the question. The top of the page should have you name, address and social security number.

ae312f95-906e-761f.jpg

8. The boxes in section 14 must be initialized. Do NOT check these boxes. Fill in the two sections for identifying your chief law enforcement officer. You city or county should have a web site with this information.

ae312f95-90a0-5734.jpg

9. The final section of the application is section 15. This is the Certification part of the form. Sign the form with black ink. Under title enter "Collector" and date the form.

ae312f95-90bb-6b81.jpg

10. The second part of this application is called (Copy 2). This is an exact copy of the section you just filled out above minus the billing information. Complete this second part exactly as you did in the first part. This second part must be mailed to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer at the address you provided above. This is a requirement of the application. Your Chief Law Enforcement Officer is not required to take any action for your application to be processed. The CLEO only has to be notified that you are applying for the license.

Print out both copies of the form, and verify the application is completed properly. When mailing your application to your CLEO it's advisable to include a cover letter letting them know why you are sending them the application form. A sample letter can be Downloaded here .

Certification of Compliance:

The Certification of Compliance is a form the BATFE wants completed for the licensee and each additional responsible party listed on the license. This form should be included with your C&R application. It's a simple one page application. The Link to the form is included at the top of this article. Each responsible party fills out sections 1, 2, and 3 on the form. Complete the form by signing and dating section 7. Include the form/s with your application. You do not have to include this form with your CLEO package.

ae312f95-92a5-df0d.jpg

How long before I get my license?:

The average license takes between 60 and 90 days to arrive. When you get your license you will also receive a packet of information about your license including a list of firearms that are legal to collect. Each licensee is required to keep a bound book that lists your acquisitions and dispositions of any firearms you acquire. The BATFE may at any time request to inspect your book. Keep records of every transaction you do using your license!

The BATFE has added a section to their website with common questions regarding C&R licenses. You should visit their page and read through their FAQ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

thinking about letting mine run out this time.,i have not ordered anything in about a year. what i have bought came from gunshows and pawn shops.most of what i collect now has dried up and when a dealer does have it it sell out fast..the last time or 2 ain got in mosin nagants they were sold by the time i got the email and k98's are long gone from the importers.

I've been thinking much the same. It seems like there are just too few options right now, the really good stuff is drying up or gone and we're quickly approaching a time where the next generation of surplus won't qualify for C&R status. I've still got 2.5 years on mine, enough time to grab a few more Nagants and maybe some other neat stuff but I don't see the point if my options are going to be so limited. I'm only like 20 min away from D&T and they give us a great deal on transfers so may just let mine run out if nothing strikes my fancy in the next 2.5 years. I would like to grab a HiPower first but that's about it for now.
  • 1 year later...
Guest Atchley

Thanks for the help. More or less the only reason I would want one is to be able to order AR lowers and have them shipped to my house or maybe pick up something off gunbroker. And that would be possible with the C&R FFL? Just trying to make sure I'm clear on that. Thanks for the help again!

Thanks for the help. More or less the only reason I would want one is to be able to order AR lowers and have them shipped to my house or maybe pick up something off gunbroker. And that would be possible with the C&R FFL? Just trying to make sure I'm clear on that. Thanks for the help again!

AR lowers? No. "Something else off gunbroker"? Only if it's C&R eligible and the seller is willing to work with that. Some people aren't.