Purchasing a firearm from a company (NOT a dealer)

So here's the situation. I have an opportunity to buy a shotgun that belongs to a company. I would rather not say which one, but they are a Tennessee business of rather high profile. The gun was purchased in the 1960's and kept at a remote location. I think they are a little nervous about having it on the inventory, and are willing to entertain an offer from me. However, they are a little concerned with how to handle the sale.

This brings me to my question: would this transaction be handled like an individual-to-individual transaction? I assume it would, as they have no dealer license. I have told them I would be willing to sign a bill of sale. The gun is a 1960 model, and I have a C&R FFL, but is it valid for this type transaction, as it is not interstate? (I know, that subject has been discussed ad nauseum :shake: )

Anybody got any experience with this type transaction? Are there any "gotchas" to look out for?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're incorporated, the company is basically a legal person. It should be like any other face-to-face deal. But, if they're worried about it, just do it through an FFL. It's probably not necessary, but it's not expensive. D&T in Rivergate does some of the best priced transfers and they're a TGO Vendor.

If they're incorporated, the company is basically a legal person. It should be like any other face-to-face deal. But, if they're worried about it, just do it through an FFL. It's probably not necessary, but it's not expensive. D&T in Rivergate does some of the best priced transfers and they're a TGO Vendor.

They are incorporated. I didn't even think about the FFL transfer. That's probably the way to go. I've not done that before. Is it the transfer fee PLUS the $10 background, or is the background part of the fee? That's going to figure into my offer.

If the gun serial number dates it to 1960 that makes it 52 years old and I would think your C&R would be good enough for the purchase. Just log it in your book like you would any other firearm you purchased from any other corporation. eg AIM, SOG, J&G etc.

I agree with pcrc11, but if the seller is nervous about having it, they'll want to cover themselves in every way possible. A cheap FFL transfer gets that done, even if it's just theatre for peace of mind

You are probably right in them wanting them to covers their asses. But it is an FFL transfer with a C&R. Just give them a receipt and a copy of your C&R. Why have the C&R if you are gonna use it.

I agree with pcrc11, but if the seller is nervous about having it, they'll want to cover themselves in every way possible. A cheap FFL transfer gets that done, even if it's just theatre for peace of mind

Yeah that's the issue. Like most companies, they are just trying to eliminate/minimize risk.

You are probably right in them wanting them to covers their asses. But it is an FFL transfer with a C&R. Just give them a receipt and a copy of your C&R. Why have the C&R if you are gonna use it.

I did offer to give them a signed copy of my C&R. I will offer again, and then offer the second option of the FFL transfer, and tell them if they want to do it that way, I will subtract the amount of the fees from what I will pay them.

Edited by CapnVideo
Guest 6.8 AR

Sell the gun to you. What does it matter about your C&R paper? Shouldn't have anything to do with it. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Do you want it logged or something? Also, what kind of ass needs covering?

Edited by 6.8 AR

Sell the gun to you. What does it matter about your C&R paper? Shouldn't have anything to do with it. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Do you want it logged or something? Also, what kind of ass needs covering?

Don't quite get the first part of your post. It's almost as if you started in the middle of a sentence. The C&R license doesn't "matter" as far as it being a legal sale. The company just wants to make sure everything is above board so nothing can come back on them. You have to understand the people (management) I'm dealing with aren't fluent in the requirements for a legal firearms sale. And I just want to make sure I don't run afoul of any obscure regulations since this is not an individual, and the company is not a dealer of any type. I don't necessarily want it "logged" myself (although I would have to log it in my bound book), but the company wants some sort of assurance that they can prove they disposed of it legally in case something happens, I guess like if it blows up and injures me (again, these are not "gun people").

In that case, a signed copy of your C&R and a signed and dated bill of sale with the serial number may be sufficient to give them their warm-fuzzy feeling. If not, $25 is pretty nominal to get rid of that evil boom stick.

That's what I think, too. But if they want to go the FFL transfer route, I will be deducting the cost of those fees from what I pay for the gun. No sense paying more for something when it isn't necessary.

Guest 6.8 AR

A legal firearms sale doesn't require

a tics, nics or anything. Granted, I don't

know anything about a c&r and don't

really care. A sale is a sale between

two people who can legally own a

firearm. You don't have to have a

license to purchase from an individual.

Whatever your C&R requires you to

do, do it, but otherwise, it doesn't

matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto #15 - You must log any C&R gun in your bound book, regardless of who else is involved in the transaction.

The transaction is then "on the books" just as any other FFL purchase. Involving another FFL is redundant and unnecessary.

A copy of you C&R and a bill of sale/receipt should be more than enough documentation for the seller. Or, simply record your license number on the bill of sale. FFL's dont usually provide a copy of their license to non-FFL's.

Edited by ttocswob

The problem is that you guys are using logic. This is about their feeeeeelings, not what's required, prudent, or even logical. :)

Good luck with the purchase.

This.

And I'm quite familiar with the logging rules, and maintain my bound book as required.