Are gun prices higher in Tennessee?

jgradyc

I've joined a couple of national forums recently and I've seen numerous comments about buying used handguns at lower prices than I've seen here in Tennessee. Example: Kel Tec P11 $150-$200, Hi Points $75, Glocks $400. These are the only ones I can remember. Maybe they are exceptions. Or, maybe I just need to go to local gun shows and hang out. For people who have priced used guns elsewhere, are they really cheaper or are these examples aberrations?

And another question, I know we cannot buy/sell handguns out of state of residence without FFL transfer, but what about shotguns and long guns?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy/sell a long gun while out of state but you must do the transfer there. If you buy from or sell to an out of state entity while you are within TN, it has to go through an FFL on the receiving end.

I don't think prices are any higher here than anywhere else, it's just finding the right deal. Everyone everywhere usually asks more than their gun is worth and if they don't, it sells quickly. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but in general, an educated seller and an educated buyer will typically come to reasonable price for both of them.

You mix and match the two (educated/uneducated), then anything is possible.

Edited by Hozzie

I have the same impression when folks in other parts of the country talk about the 'average' prices of firearms in their area. These are forums I have belonged to for some time and forum members who are also long term members who I consider trustworthy. Some of these folks are occasionally seeing new prices that are lower than the average used prices (even at the best priced gun stores) in my part of TN.

For that matter, I've seen better prices in other parts of TN than I generally see in my immediate area.

If you really want your head to spin, read about some of the deals that guys in other states get on used guns at pawn shops. In my area, pawn shop pricing in used guns is markedly higher than the gun stores. I've never seen a used long gun in a pawn shop around here that I couldn't get a new one at Walmart for about the same price or, sometimes, even cheaper.

Edited by JAB

I just priced a new S&W MP9c at Shooters in Camden...$485. Retail is $569. Owner told me that they sell all guns at 10% over their cost. I figure that was a dandy price on that piece and will definitely go back when the time comes.

I've bought several guns from them. They do have better prices than a lot of others.

I've checked out one or two pawn shops and I was shocked to see the prices. Firearms were close to new prices when they were well worn... not to mention you have no idea of whether they will shoot reliably or not. Anyone have any recommendations for Nashville pawn shops that carry firearms. Most in my area don't carry weapons except those silly throwing stars and such.

I've checked out one or two pawn shops and I was shocked to see the prices. Firearms were close to new prices when they were well worn... not to mention you have no idea of whether they will shoot reliably or not. Anyone have any recommendations for Nashville pawn shops that carry firearms. Most in my area don't carry weapons except those silly throwing stars and such.

I've never, ever, ever, seen a deal in a pawn shop.

• Like 1

Used guns are higher here for us because we can meet and buy them in a private sale. No background check and no paper trail. Some people are willing to pay more for that; I’m not. I’m not a convicted felon or worried about who knows I bought a gun, so most of my purchases lately have been new.

you want high, check out calguns. People in Calif. would love to have our freedoms and prices

Freedoms absolutely. Pricing, eh pretty close for the most part. The big issue in Ca is that it's gotten hard to find quality shops who make their money solely through firearms and firearm accesories. They're out there and when you find them the prices are good, for the most part though your limited to sporting good stores that happen to sell guns.

As far as pricing here goes it is much easier to find a good shop that prices guns for a quick easy sale but there are a few places that are awfully proud of their inventory. So much so that it seems they just can't bear to part with anything for a reasonable price. The big advantage I've found out here is that it's easier to find an FFL willing to do online transfers for around $20. The place closest to me in Ca wouldn't do it at all if they could order it themselves from their distributer, when they did do it it was $100 for the transfer. A guy who specialized in transfers would order anything legal but tacked on $150 for the transfer.

Last transfer I did in Tn cost me $15 through D&T and that was for three lowers. I saved $335 over what it would have cost just for transfers unless I wanted to drive for over an hour in Ca.

All in all you won't hear me complaining about gun pricing in Tn anytime soon. I've been to the other side of the mountain, and it was bad.

Eeh...I got a shootin' buddy in Kin-tucky and one in Georgia. Both their deals are around the same as found here. Alot of it, is the people you end up knowing becomming a part of a forum. Things have their advantages as well as a higher level of a safety factor...not to mention the friends you make along the way. That's priceless compared to any gun shop therefore we tend to give better deals to "friends and family".....most other places are the same I'd say. I just paid $480 for a Gen3 G19 from a store front. MINT condition, like basically been "racked" all of it's life. Still had the copper inside. That's a great deal from a store and would have been a good price for folks on here to. One of the reasons I don't mind helping out the local gun shops IF they treat "fair as fair" and keep prices reasonable. I know they have to make a buck but asking for $75 over the price of Buds + their own transfer fees is purely stupid. Cash is cash but moving stock is what a gun store wants and needs to thrive. The question always seems to be "do you want to make a transfer fee or would you like to move a gun today?" Believe it or not, many opt for the transfer vs. lowering their prices......

Edited by kwe45919

You may want to consider trying to "dicker" on used guns in a pawn shop. Their markup is astronomical as they usually pay about a quarter on the dollar of their value, meaning that if they're asking $200 they probably didn't give much over $75 for it in the first place. All they can do is say no, but you might get a good deal. Just sayin'......

I study both used and new gun prices continuously just to burn the prices into my head for a just in case sceniro if I was to run across one in the market place. I do believe prices for used ones are market based upon ones local market and ignorance of the seller or buyer. Case in point, just use Armslist, and go to "ALL STATES", type in a common gun, like a glock or more specific glock 17, you will see a large array of prices from $300 in some regions to $600+ in others. New guns appear to be the same reasonable price accross the country, this can be confirmed by using Gunbroker (after weeding out the gun shops that are just plain high).

You guys have it made in TN. Every gun in Florida is $50-100 higher than the were back in Knoxville.

I used to see brand new Glocks for sale in Knoxville for $489-499. In Florida they are $549-600.

Ruger 10/22 $199-220 in Knoxville. Last one I saw here was $350.

I could go on and on.

Simply put, businesses/individuals are for profit, and likely will price based upon the local market. Couple of examples, in the East Tennessee area, I normally buy gas from Weigles, but the pricing can be some $0.40 difference per gallon from my area (S. of Maryville) to areas in Knoxville. Do you suppose Weigles pays wholesale differently based upon the location of their stores, of course not, just geographic market pricing reasons. Another example, used Glock 22 is another story. Why would any anyway pay $400 for a good used glock 22 (which kinda of sounds good), when you can buy one all day long at this place for $289 with 3 mags http://www.gtdist.com/emails/Email-TIGLOCKSNOV2011.html, scroll down on the page, lower right corner. Of course you have to do the FFL transfer thingy, but research, research, and do your homework. Bust the local markets, or cause the principals of competition to reduce pricing, or just buy from these internet places.

Thanks for the link. We're retired military and qualify for those deals, but I don't think I would have ever found that site on my own.

I think for new guns, retired/active military and LEO qualify, but for used police trade-ins, I think general public can buy, not 100% sure. Enjoy. Glad I could help.

Guest bulluck533
They are the same prices everywhere where there are a huge amount of competition. Those prices you listed up there aren't everyday finds. Sometime you have to look for a little bit until you find a steal like that.