Suggestions for dealing with trespassers?

Long story short, We have the family farm up for sale. It's posted and the entrance is chained shut.
Some upstanding folks are apparently driving through the old fence to hunt.
I plan on showing up in the morning and making their lives interesting. Besides the obvious, what do you deer hunters recommend?
Scout it on a work day and remove theirs stands. Find where they are driving through the fence, and wait for them to drive through. Then restring the fence while they are hunting and wait on them to get back there. I got a few more things I can suggest, but I'd rather pm them. Let me know if your intrested
Mothballs work great too, or what if a few pieces of plywood fell off of your truck where they are crossing. I would hate to have to explain to a property owner why my truck has 4 flat tires on his property. Other than that I like the way Flatwoods is thinking.

For a more highroad approach maybe call the sheriff or game warden after you see them drive in. Edited by 10-Ring
Buddy, unfortunately you're fighting a tough battle. As a land manager I can say there is no surefire way to stop trespassing besides direct confrontation, and thy can get sketchy. Often trespassers have a sense of ownership regardless of who actually owns the land. An if they don't they have a blatant disregard for the law. Either way, be careful & assertive, but I'd recommend being respectful. These things can escalate to an unnecessary level quickly.
  • Like 1
Call your local Law Enforcement Office and let them know. If you go out there and find them on your property call the Police. If people are purposely trespassing then yes they need to go to jail. I take that as if you were breaking into my house.
You could setup an IR trail camera on where they are entering. make sure there is no flash and make it hard to find. This will give you evidence and a pattern (maybe tag number). Then get the advise of the sheriff or game warden. They'll help you out. Of course if you catch then out there even better, but be careful confronting them. I would still involve law enforcement Edited by Batman
Post, "No Hunting with out owners permission (or written permission)", signs!

[url="http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/permission.pdf"]http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/permission.pdf[/url]
If you find a tree stand of theirs and it has a ladder, discretely tie it to your atv or truck with a hundred ft of aircraft cable. Wait for the guy to get up in the stand, then drive off, ripping the ladder away, stranding him up there. Call the game warden.....or don't.

OR, take up shooting skeet a few hundred yards away, or get a 2-stroke dirt bike and take off the muffler. Make LOTS of noise. Could get a battery operated radio with an alarm clock on it. Set it for just after you think they get set up in the stand. Edited by Caster
[quote name='Sour Kraut' timestamp='1352596115' post='843402']
It is unbelievable that people who are tresspassing think that they have a right to be there.Its not unheard of that people get shot or even killed ..
Sad and infuriating...
same goes for squatters rights...just wrong..
[/quote]

Certainly you've come across white-trash rednecks before.
  • Like 1
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1352596966' post='843414']
Is it theft if you take something that was left on your property?

If not then I say sell the tree stand that was "abandoned" on your property. Then sell it on Craigslist and make some Christmas money.

Dolomite
[/quote]

Technically it could be considered abandoned property. I've been reading some of these post, and you should be very careful how you handle this. Anything you do to cause harm to someone on your property, you are liable for. Heaven help ya if you "drive off" with the guys tree stand while he's sitting in it! Properly "post" your land, and call the sherriff if you catch them there.

The best sign to use is one in which requires "written permission" to hunt. Then that takes away "my word against his word" argument.

Dave S
[quote name='Raoul' timestamp='1352578787' post='843244']
Long story short, We have the family farm up for sale. It's posted and the entrance is chained shut.
Some upstanding folks are apparently driving through the old fence to hunt.
I plan on showing up in the morning and making their lives interesting. Besides the obvious, what do you deer hunters recommend?
[/quote]

Since your property is up for sale, why not just give the guy permission to hunt?

Dave S
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1352598022' post='843427']

Since your property is up for sale, why not just give the guy permission to hunt?

Dave S[/quote]
I'm not the OP, but if I was, this would be my answer to that question. "Because he didn't ask." If it ain't your land, and you don't have permission from the owner, you know you ain't supposed to be there.
  • Like 1
[quote name='Chucktshoes' timestamp='1352599073' post='843447']
I'm not the OP, but if I was, this would be my answer to that question. "Because he didn't ask." If it ain't your land, and you don't have permission from the owner, you know you ain't supposed to be there.
[/quote]

Absolutely correct!

Dave S
[quote name='Chucktshoes' timestamp='1352599073' post='843447']
[/quote]exactly
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1352598022' post='843427']

Dave S
[/quote]

Hey, my house if for sale but anyone who wants to hang out until it's sold is welcome.
  • Like 1